“Good food is like the quads at Smuggs - nonexistent.”
Review of Hearth & Candle

Hearth & Candle
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Weeks before heading to Smuggs on our annual ski trip our group leader tried to get in touch with the Hearth and Candle restaurant to discuss dinner for those who travel with us, to no avail. Still, fifteen of us shuttled down to the restaurant looking forward to a nice dinner after a day of skiing in the rain. I do expect to pay more at a ski resort but the costs on the menu seemed excessive. But if the food is good... After overcoming the “sticker cost” of the offerings on the menu, we ordered and were served an hour later. Both my wife’s meal and my own were almost warm and frankly very disappointing in both the way it was prepared and its quality. As for presentation, the food was on a plate but that is all I can say. Others sitting near us, having different entrées, had similar complaints. My wild boar and gnocchi was dry, under seasoned, the greens were inconsistently cooked but the gnocchi was ok. At the end of the meal, the whole group was presented with one bill. Separate bills, we were told, were not available and we’d have to figure out what each of us owed. We were told and we expected an 18% gratuity was included. However, after the terrible food and a single bill, this seemed to be an insult. Gratuities are for good service and good food. Apparently what we determined we each owed was less than what the Hearth and Candle thought we owed, hmm, I wonder if separate bills could have solved this issue. About the only good thing was my water glass was always being filled.
I do enjoy skiing at Smuggs, very much, even in the rain, and I’ll be back but never again will I eat at the Hearth and Candle.

1  Thank Dave M M

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Loved the grilled lamb chops and roasted duck dish, and of course the cheese plate! Drinks were very tasty, local root beer and brews and ales all pretty good. All staff very friendly. Nice that restaurant was right on smugglers notch resort!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

After a long day of skiing we decided to drop by the Hearth & Candle. I had the wild board gnocchi. The braised boar shoulder was cooked well and had just the right amount of juiciness. The steamed swiss chard and orange fig glace complemented the boar well. Was not a big fan of the ricotta gnocchi, as it felt a bit starchy and dry. Overall a good and filling dish after a long day of skiing. Good ambiance too.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Been there a few times over the years. Recently, went there with a fairly large party. The food and service were both very good.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

This is the fine dining restaurant at Smuggler's Notch Ski Resort. Based on our experience with traveling, it was pretty exceptional for a resort! We realize it was a holiday, and thus the waiters were probably a little overworked; however, ours was just crabby and clearly did not like his job. Nonetheless, we had some great wine, some delicious food and the rustic atmosphere was charming. It was a little on the high side for price but was quite a memorable meal. Recommend.