“We won't be going back!”
Review of Hearth & Candle

Hearth & Candle
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We have been coming to Smuggs for years, both summer and winter. We used to dine at the Hearth and Candle a lot and really enjoyed going there. Not anymore. The last few times we have been disappointed by the food, service, and price. We don't mind paying for good food if we truly get good food, but the Hearth and Candle seems to want to charge for great meals when in fact they are not. The whole family has agreed that we won't be going back when we can eat at Stella Notte, The Family Table, 158 Main etc and those establishments truly have great food and wonderful service. And for that matter, the locals pub just outside the resort, Brewster River, may lack ambiance, but the food is wonderful. The Hearth and Candle seems to be relying on its location in the resort to get people in the door, but has forgotten that they should be trying to get repeat customers. When we go to Smuggs we eat out every night. If we enjoyed our meals there they could have a customer for 7 nights, instead we now take our business elsewhere! Such a shame!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

In addition to the Morse Mountain Grille, which we loved, we also ate at the Hearth and Candle. After the great food and excellent service at the Grille, were disappointed with respect to both the service - very slow, especially when you consider that they weren't at all busy, and the food. Three seafood dishes, and everyone of them was fishy tasting so clearly it wasn't fresh. Food was over salted. Also, the menu was not that remarkable. Finally, this restaurant is a little on the pricey side. Save your money and eat elsewhere.

1  Thank lislar91
Reviewed 5 April 2014

What a great restaurant!

When we were skiing at Smuggler's Notch and wanted to catch a late dinner after the pool this place was open. The food was fantastic, 5 stars, at a ski resort in Vermont!

The first night, Elk Tenderloin with parsnips, I think. Done to perfect. The soups, appetizers, and desserts, to die for.

5 star dining on the ski slopes. Who knew??

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Weeks before heading to Smuggs on our annual ski trip our group leader tried to get in touch with the Hearth and Candle restaurant to discuss dinner for those who travel with us, to no avail. Still, fifteen of us shuttled down to the restaurant looking forward to a nice dinner after a day of skiing in the rain. I do expect to pay more at a ski resort but the costs on the menu seemed excessive. But if the food is good... After overcoming the “sticker cost” of the offerings on the menu, we ordered and were served an hour later. Both my wife’s meal and my own were almost warm and frankly very disappointing in both the way it was prepared and its quality. As for presentation, the food was on a plate but that is all I can say. Others sitting near us, having different entrées, had similar complaints. My wild boar and gnocchi was dry, under seasoned, the greens were inconsistently cooked but the gnocchi was ok. At the end of the meal, the whole group was presented with one bill. Separate bills, we were told, were not available and we’d have to figure out what each of us owed. We were told and we expected an 18% gratuity was included. However, after the terrible food and a single bill, this seemed to be an insult. Gratuities are for good service and good food. Apparently what we determined we each owed was less than what the Hearth and Candle thought we owed, hmm, I wonder if separate bills could have solved this issue. About the only good thing was my water glass was always being filled.
I do enjoy skiing at Smuggs, very much, even in the rain, and I’ll be back but never again will I eat at the Hearth and Candle.

1  Thank Dave M M
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Loved the grilled lamb chops and roasted duck dish, and of course the cheese plate! Drinks were very tasty, local root beer and brews and ales all pretty good. All staff very friendly. Nice that restaurant was right on smugglers notch resort!