“Sigh”

North Star Lodge
Caldwell, NJ
“Sigh”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Yet another Killington Hotel (?) that hasn't put any money into their property since the '80's. Been coming to VT for about 10 years to snowboard, ski, shop, etc., and thought we'd try this place while my husband and I were looking at properties in the area. Somewhat unfriendly check-in staff, hard mattress, crappy pillows, television from the early '90's awkardly placed on a table next to the bed that you'd trip on if you got up to go to the bathroom, cracks in the sink. What is wrong with these places that they can't invest in some upgrades to their properties? Now that we're no longer in a ski house we'd go back repeatedly to any hotel that we liked in Killington. Unfortunately there aren't any. Next time we'll stay in the Killington condos instead.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Badkitty13x

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York, NY
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I have to echo recent reviews that point out that the North Star Lodge is terribly dated. I suppose if you're coming in the ski or hiking season that it wouldn't be so much of a problem, as you'll be spending much of your time away from the hotel. My husband and I, however, went off-season as part of a discount that we received and were disappointed. The television is very old and very small. The bed was uncomfortable, and we both woke up with pain in our backs. The look of the hotel is very 80s. While you'd hope that the splendor of the mountains would make up for it, we were instead put in a room with a view of a parking lot. I will say that the fireplace in the main lobby was very nice.

This could have been saved, but we were further unimpressed with the service. Check-in took a long time because the people working at the desk were unfamiliar with a new system. They were friendly and apologetic about it, though, so that's another good point. However, we hadn't been in our room thirty minutes when we heard someone with a key trying to get in. (Which, yes, to get back to how dated this hotel is: yes, A KEY!) My husband answered the door (which I imagine had to be quite a shock for that other guest trying to come in!), and found that the front desk had given another group two sets of keys to rooms that were already occupied, as the same scene was happening across the hall. I never heard what happened with that family, and hope that they did get rooms that they needed; it sounded like the staff were going door to door to see which rooms were available! I can't be sure this was happening, but they were making their way down the hall. How embarrassing for them, and it was frustrating to have our vacation interrupted with that inconvenience.

My husband and I loved Killington and had a great vacation, but we would not return to the North Star Lodge.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chelsea J

Travellers are raving about these Killington hotels

Stittsville
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My daughter and I visited Killington as part of a girl's holiday. While the area is lovely with great hiking, this lodge is in need of updating and repair. The carpeting was stained and filthy. The living room sofa was in need of stuffing to go with the springs. The bed was uncomfortable with almost see-through sheets. We shortened our stay to 2 nights and moved on to proper accommodations. We would not recommend this spot to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Anna M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I visited Killington with my son in the off-season to do some hiking on the AT. I booked this hotel using a third-party website. Facilities were dated, but sufficient. If I had gone with my wife or with the intention of spending more time in the hotel, I probably would have been disappointed. Pool was unexceptional, no breakfast, tiny television, view of the parking lot, and slow internet. However, the room was clean.

Interesting, I asked the desk workers for advice on the area, but they didn't know, as they don't come from that area of Vermont. Seems like knowledge of the area should be a prerequisite for desk workers at a hotel with this price!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view; don't assume that you'll get one automatically
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Timoteyo
Shapleigh, Maine
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Very outdated. I barely slept because the bed was so uncomfortable. I could've used a real blanket inside of two sheets since the room was very cold. I haven't seen a tv that old in years. Everything was worn or soiled. The bathroom was gross. I would never stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheRiversMeet
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed here on our way to West Dover.We had a large room with a nice bath and kitchen, Staff was friendly.It was a convenient location for us. The hotel could use some updating...carpet, hall decor, but what we require is a clean and roomy hotel, with a nice bed, bath, and kitchen. We would recommend this hotel to those who do not have to have the top of the line, but want a friendly, clean, safe, and roomy stopover.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen S
Braintree, MA
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I assumed that because I was exchanging into North Star Lodge with RCI, I would get an updated unit.
This was not the case. It was a very busy time peak foliage season. I will say that the foliage in this area was worth the trip during this time Late September, early October. We stayed in a
one bedroom. The good points. Bedroom fine, bathroom fine (with jacuzzi), kitchen area fine.
No deck should have paid extra for deck and outside hot tub. I asked for a room with a view, and got a view with the pool. The pool are is nice. Exercise area small. The staff was great. Now lets talk about the living area. Rug, couch, chair, pillows noticeably stained and soiled. Furniture looked beat up. I have never stayed in an RCI that was this bad. How expensive is it to replace the pillows.The TV's were only 27" TVs and I know I am spoiled with limited reception.The internet service was spotty. The staff tried their best to clean the place but
the living room needs a major overhaul.

Room Tip: Never book a room with out looking at it first. Reviews vary considerably for very good reason
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple