“Best Part of My AT Adventure This Year!”

Appalachian Trail Adventures
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Killington
More attraction details
Owner description: Appalachian Trail Adventures is a hiking spa that provides daily guided hikes, caving and kayaking throughout the Green Mountains of Vermont for adventurist of all abilities on the Appalachian Trail. ATA's all inclusive Hiking Vacation consists of an air conditioned room with three daily meals, snacks, guided novice, intermediate or advanced hike and afternoon kayaking, caving or an excursion. ATA also provides daily customized group or private guided hikes, kayaking and caving throughout the Green Mountains of Vermont for hikers of all abilities. With over 20 years of experience, we have chosen trails with the best scenic mountain vistas, waterfalls, historical features and lakes. In the fall, we offer some of the most spectacular foliage hiking in New England.
Austin, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best Part of My AT Adventure This Year!”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

You can’t beat the Appalachian Trail in Vermont. Just out of this world. The first twenty miles or so after leaving Massachusetts is fairly easy going. That is until you get to Bennington and start into the Green Mountains. That is where the fun begins. Fantastic vistas, great climbs, lots of flora and fauna. You can’t take enough photographs. You have to take a couple of days off in Killington to stay at the Inn and visit Rutland. The last fifty miles are very remote until you finally arrive in Andover across the river in New Hampshire. You have to eat a pancake breakfast with real Maple syrup. Too much good! The only two draw backs are the bugs (black flies) and the bogs. They don’t call it VERMUD for nothing! Enjoy and have a great hike.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Race B

Ridgewood, NJ
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“What a wonderful weekend!-- Must like dogs:)!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Decided to do this with two other girlfriends as a weekend getaway. It exceeded our expectations! At first we were not thrilled with the accomodations. Though the lodge is perfectly nice, the room is a typical ski lodge room, not attractive, but very clean and functional. All the people behind the front desk were very accomodating. John who is the leader of this adventure couldn't be nicer and is great company. The main event here was his little dog, who couldn't have been cuter:):) Anyway, all the food was generous and so delicious!! The hike was spectacular- and though I didn't think I would keep up with the others, John was great at taking breaks when needed and giving lots of help and encouragement. It was worth every minute to reach the top! The kayaking was also so much fun-- everything we did was great! (People in our group went caving the day before and liked that as well). The jacuzzi in the lodge was really welcomed after an extremely active day. Some people in our group also took advantage of getting a massage. (We were a bit envious:) Maybe next time... We also enjoyed the St. Bernard dogs that hang around the lodge-- sort of the lodge's "theme". If you love the outdoors, good food, lots of exercise, give this adventure a try. I do not think you will be sorry. Oh- I forgot to add-- As a real bonus- John surprised us all with a CD of photos that he took of us the whole weekend as a "going away gift". Hope to do this again next year.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank LornaRidgewood_NJ
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exactly what I was looking for”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

As a solo traveler, I thoroughly enjoyed my five days with Appalachian Trail Adventures. I was pleased that the guides paced the hikes to suit my needs. Kayaking was fun and I particularly enjoyed going over the beaver dams - loads of fun! Food was good with adequate choices. The Jacuzzi was nice to relax in at the end at the day and definitely helped my sore muscles. A wonderful way to enjoy the beauty of Vermont. Thanks John and team!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Lynne M
Moncton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“More than expected!”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My mother and I had been looking for a guided trip somewhere within driving distance (we live on the East Coast of Canada) and came across Appalachian Trail Adventures online. We booked it not knowing much about it, other than what we saw online. It was the best thing we could've done, exactly what we were looking for! The weekend we chose wasn't busy, so John and his wonderful staff were really flexible with which activities we did. We went over a weekend, so we hiked each day and did a different excursion each afternoon. Guided hiking was our main criteria, as we aren't great 'explorers'. Feel more comfortable knowing where I'm going. My mom got to kayak for the first time and LOVED it, gorgeous scenery and company. The second afternoon we went caving. I went all the way through with John, one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life! Normally I would've been terrified, it was dark and cramped, but I trusted John 100% and am so happy I followed through with it! The lodging was also great, very friendly. The food was also totally up to par, even better than I expected as there was more selection than anticipated. Not to mention that the entire area of Killington is beautiful. So all in all, a fantastic trip for both of us. We have John and his staff to thank, as it felt like we were hiking with friends, an incredible atmosphere! Also a thank you to his dog, Aeolus, for being his awesome self.
We'll be back!!

Visited June 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Great for short family vacation”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Hiking, kayaking, caving - all in one - in a short back to school vacation. Cozy lodge with lots of a-la carte activities, friendly and experienced staff and nothing-to-worry-about meal plan make it even more enjoyable. Many thanks to John, Betsy and Aeolus.

Visited August 2013