“Next Level Bad”

Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The restaurant of the Vermont Inn is now open to the public. Enjoy intimate dining by our original 1800's stone fireplace, savor the panoramic mountain views from our brand new patio, or enjoy a glass of wine in our cozy tavern. Our award winning chef, Thomas Higuchi-Crowell, prepares Vermont contemporary cuisine pleasing even our most discriminating guests.
Mendon, Vermont
“Next Level Bad”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My girlfriend and I recently went to the Vermont Inn curious to experience the food and service now that the Inn is open again. The outside patio and view of Pico were really spectacular and the décor and atmosphere made us believe we would be receiving a great meal but sadly this was not the case. To start I ordered the roast garlic soup but received instead a bowl of either beef broth or store bought demi glace that had a slick of oil floating on the top. Raw chunks of garlic and raw halved cherry tomatoes were all one could find floating in the soup except of course for the burnt over hard egg, weird! My "roast garlic soup" which by the way did not contain any roast garlic came accompanied by two pieces of dry burnt toast just to top it off. My girlfriend got a salad to start which was another disappointment. The salad was simply mizuna greens that were wilted with two halved cherry tomatoes, no shallots no herbs no anything else except greens in a bowl. For my entrée I ordered the rib-eye which for 25 dollars doesn't even come with any starch which I ordered and was thoroughly disappointed with. The steak I ordered med-rare came out med-well, and the sides of broccolini, and some sort of weird green pepper and red onion mixture were poorly executed, unseasoned, and just down right bizarre. My girlfriend got the smoked salmon for her entrée and the dish consisted of more burnt toast, the same salad she had just eaten, slimy smoked salmon, a few capers, and a chunk of red onion. The smoked salmon was served on a piece of slate which was unique but the certainly could not make up for the monstrosity that was put on it. I am not hard to please and I am rarely compelled to write reviews but I don't want another person wasting their time or hard earned money on awful food clearly prepared by someone who doesn't know what they are doing, or just doesn't care.

3 Thank VTart1779
thevermontinn, General Manager at The Vermont Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to make the Vermont Inn your first and only review on trip advisor. We do hope that you will continue to be a worthy contributor to the trip advisor community. We truly appreciate your kind words on the many improvements we have been making to the property. I want to assure you that we do care about each an every guests experience with us from the second they walk in the door and we are disappointed that you did not receive the excellent meal that every guest receives when they dine with us. I can assure you your experience was an apparition purely based on the many words of positive feedback we have received since we reopened on July 4th. I again apologize and hope that you choose to give us a second chance.

Terryville, Connecticut
“Must Try”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This restaurant has been open for two weeks and we ate there Friday 7-18-14 and were not disappointed-we can't wait to go back! This is a must try restaurant in the Killington area-the views were breath taking as we ate outside and the ambiance on the inside is exactly as we remember it when it was open. The food was outstanding as the new chef has introduced a more up scale menu-it definitely is worth a try!

Brunswick
“Unexpected dinner”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Vermont Inn ( I have reviewed that as well). Our fist night we ate at the restaurant and it was not at all what we expected. We came in July and had the option to eat inside or out, we chose in due to the sun. Both in and outside were decorated nicely. They have Coke products so I stuck with water since they didn't have root beer, my husband had sprite. I ordered the Mac n cheese which was delicious, it was so good I had it again the next night. It is made with penne pasta, delicious cheese blend (not sure which cheeses sorry) I believe there was panko on top which gave it a nice texture and cilantro which I don't like at all, but couldn't even taste. My husband had a cheeseburger with cheddar cheese which came with homemade salt and vinegar chips and pickles. He requested medium which it was and he said the buns were delicious. The onion, tomato, lettuce, and ketchup all came on the side. He doesn't like salt and vinegar chips at all but he liked these, I love SAV chips so I tried them first, they had a hint of salt and that was really it, but they were very good...nice and thin and crispy. The pickles were sliced pickle rounds and they were sweet pickles, those were also very good and I am assuming they were homemade since they were sliced very thin. My dish was $13 and the burger was $12. We were pretty impressed. The Mac n cheese portion was very good size, my husband had to finish it because I couldn't, and I don't think his burger was enough to fill him up, there was only a small handful of chips. Dessert was a bit of a bummer in a way. We shared the chocolate pudding pie. It was extremely delicious and rich but, it was tiny...would have fit in my palm and it was round, like it had been made in a cupcake tin, then cut in half. It comes with salted caramel drizzle on the side but we asked them to hold it. There was a fresh mint leaf on the pie and homemade whipped cream which was also very good. The disappointment came because it was so small and we wanted more...and it was $7. I forgot to mention, the burger came out on a wooden cheese board and the dessert was served on a slate....very unique I thought. All in all I would recommend The Vermont Inn Resturant.

New York City, New York
“Great way to start your stay!!”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We loved their breakfast menu.. Mike and Emily are great and their food was a perfect way to kick off the rest of the day.. Loved it..

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Luckyluma
Wallingford, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb hospitality, warmth charm and GREAT cuisine..lovely!”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed last weekend in April while attending a workshop at the INN. Spent the weekend and had lovely huge breakfasts, relaxed inthe bar, had scrumptious dinner with party of ight and then relaxe din the Tv room in PJs with freinds. Slept so well and awoke to cardinals and birds in the nearby trees... so relaxing... and our workshop was so much fun! TIM was so pleasant and easy to work with, the waitstaff and housekeeper answered every request. HIGHLY recommend the INn for your events and workshops and conferences... can accommodate 50 in the dining room space! GREAT views too.
I have stayed at the INN and eaten in their restaurant (when open) for the last 24 years through each change of ownership. Current new inn keepers are trying hard to bring the INN back to its great status and slowly renovate and spruce up..... dedicated and really wanting toi succeed.... please visit.. you will enjoy your stay!

Visited April 2012