“Friendly, great location”
Review of Killington Resort

Killington Resort
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Killington
More attraction details
Owner description: This Southern Vermont resort is famous for its winter skiing, and now for off-season golf.
Alexandria, VA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Friendly, great location”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

We arrived on a Friday night late (10ish) to check in. We were greeted by two bellhops who were very helpful. At check-in they had overbooked the room we had reserved, so we were upgraded to a suite without any question. Lift tix were part of the ski and stay package we booked, and they were all set for us.
Breakfast buffet is also included, which gets repetitive, but it's a good hot breakfast, and there are lots of choices, so we mixed it up every day with either waffles, made to order omlets, or fruit and food from the steam trays which are changed a lot due to volume.
Ski check in the hotel is nice, and it's a short walk to the slope, and a bit more of a haul if you've got a smaller one to get to ski school. But doable.
The heated outdoor pool and hot tubs are a favorite of the kids and are nice after a day on the slopes. If you can get there before the slopes close, it's not as crowded as after.
Nice small convenience store and a business center for computer time and printer on site, centrally located. Fireplaces are nice in central lobby areas too. Free wi-fi and plus, especially with everyone on some kind of device.
Rooms have recently been renovated, so granite counters in kitchen, with new tile floors, new (or so it seems) carpet; bathrooms updated with nice sinks and granite counters, and new tile surrounds.
Wish there were heated underground parking as the car gets covered with snow everytime we're there, and we have to dig out.

Visited March 2013

Somers, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“fantastic mountain for long stays”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I took my family to Killington during the kids winter break and it was an awesome experience. We stayed 5 nights and skiied 5 days. I booked my stay and the lift tickets through the Killington central reservation line, and honestly I think it was not that expensive compared to other north east ski resorts, especially when looking at the size and variety of terrain that Killington offers. My adult pass was $320 for 5 days, that's $64/ day and I only paid for a pass for my 9 y.o. which came to $ 50/ day and my 6 y.o. was FREE. I checked other resorts before booking and this was by far less expensive. Other places a quarter of its size charge $80/ day for adults.

Personally I loved this mountain. I feel like it has something for everyone and every ability. My husband and I went exploring blue, black and double diamonds while the kdis were in ski school and there was plenty of it. Since it was our first time on this mountain and I was unsure how my intermediate-ish level kids would do, I prefered to put them in ski school during the mornings for a few days. Well, while it is true that they start at the Ramshead station, they will also go quite far on the mountain, including some freestyle terrain. After lunch together we all went out again together and it was really fun to see where they skiied with their groups. We pretty much zig-zagged the mountain, and my troops did great. I defintely want to go back next year, because even after 5 days I still didn't ski the whole mountain. The weather there also makes things very "interesting" and conditions and snow conditions change from one day to the next. The same slope will feel very different from one day to the next - one day it's asphalt hard, the next it's mushy, the next is powder, and the next you have moguls - so you can't get bored.

The week we were there, it was not as congested as one might think. There were practically no waiting times and if one lift was closed then the one next to it would be open, so nobody got stuck one one side of the mountain with no choices to get around.

We found staff quite friendly overall, but we mainly talked to staff at the Ramshead since that is where we started every day. There were mountain guides to be found all over the place and they quickly engaged one if they even thought that you needed guidance.

The parking lot at Ramshead was huge, and given that we got there at 8:30 every morning we'd never have to walk far.

Food at the Ramshead was a little on the high side, but it's kind of expected. For 4 people we'd spend ca. $45-$50 on lunch. But this is nothing compared to the $3/ apple that is charged in the supermartket in Whistler (Canada)

We opted to stay at a B&B because a condo would have cost at a minimum $100 more per night (I checked), and knowing we'd eat lunch on the slopes, I knew we'd get away with dinners under $100 every night for the 4 of us. Afterall we're traveling with young kids who only want chicken nuggets and pizza anyway. My calculations were absolutely correct, and one evening we even had pizza delivered to the B&B because everyone was too tired to bother eating out.

Overall it was a great ski vacation and this will be the first place I'll come back to with my kids before exploring other mountains.

Visited February 2013
Cumberland Center, Maine
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great day of skiing”
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Our first visit was great. Staff was very helpful and plentiful. A very well run mountain. Trails were in good shape with lots of variety.

Connecticut
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“What else is there”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Strictly an East Coast rating. Sugar loaf or Sunday River may be better so I gave Killington a 4. Much improved since the new owners took over. Expert skiers get the most out of Killington and the only reason to go there is for the steeps. Otherwise if you are coming from the South you may as well stop at Stratton or Mt. Snow

Visited February 2013
Armonk
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Possibly the best skiing in the Eastern US”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We have been going to Killington for years and keep coming back because this is a great mountain: very big, lots of trails at all levels with some nice double diamons and glade skiing and the mountain makes a lot of snow so you always have snow no matter what mother nature decides. The only thing i don't love about this mountain is their ski school - because of the size of the mountain on a busy vacation week it is a zoo and they tend to have large groups with a bad child/instructor ratio so make sure you check this out before registering. The mountain also has lots of ski/in out lodging and a great village with lots of restaurants.

Visited December 2012