“It was fine for the price”

Cascades Lodge Killington
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Killington
Edgewater, NJ
“It was fine for the price”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here with our two kids and our parents. Here are some of the good things: it's very close to the mountain, could even be walking distance but there's a shuttle provided. The shuttle runs well and you really can't beat the location for the price that you are paying peak season. They have a nice pool with hot tub. My kids greatly enjoyed going for a swim between skiing and dinner. The rooms could be a bit updated but were nice and clean. Now for the bad.....the food! The first night we got there we had chicken soup which tasted like it was straight from the can and nachos that were right out of the microwave. Breakfast was free and the only thing edible there were the breakfast sausages, which were also probably from the microwave. The scrambled eggs were from a powder and the hard boiled eggs were actually served FROZEN. Yes, FROZEN! Oh well, overall for the price it's not a bad place to stay but don't plan on eating there if you go.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tanyag_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My husband, daughter and I booked last minute and we were treated beautifully the second we arrived. Pia knew that space was important to us and gave us the immediate option of a 2nd room or the ability to move rooms within a few days to a bigger room once space opened up. The staff was very friendly - they even helped us find a babysitter one of the 7 nights we were there so we could have date night. The pool was warm and fun! The jacuzzi was perfectly hot after -9 degree days on the ski slope. The bar had nice dinner options and the hot breakfasts were perfect before hitting the slopes. We are not big on just continental breakfasts - so having eggs and bacon every morning was great. Overall - we were very pleased with the cleanliness, the staff and the flexibility we received while staying here. Location was
great to all of the big ski lodges! We will be back in January or February.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Torned
College Park, Maryland
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Good location: walking to the lifts (Snowshed/Ramshead) is 200 yards, 5-10min in ski boots. Shuttle buses run all the time.
The hotel is not new. It shows in everything from old TV sets to poorly insulated windows to old bathtub/shower. The rooms are basic, but clean. There's a coffeemaker and a small fridge, good for fruits/drinks, but no freezer. No kitchen facilities in the entire hotel. There's little room to hang your wet clothes after skiing, dump your boots, skis and poles, and there's almost no room to hang wet towels, so the towels get mixed up all the time. There's a nice pool w hot tub, a sauna on the 1st floor, a small but good fitness room, and a very nice lounge with fireplace, gigantic TV and board games. WiFi works reasonably well throughout the building.
Breakfast is good, nothing fancy, but quite some choice. They also run a pub where you can have a basic meal in the evening (pub fare, all frozen/reheated, but okay if you do not want to drive to a restaurant). Drinks are available till late as is a chat with the friendly old barman.
The hotel not cheap, at least not if you book right before the trip. Book through the main hub of the resort to get discounts on room/lift tickets.
Bottom line: go if you are okay with basic accommodation to relax after a hard day of skiing, and choose something else if your idea is a crisp new room with shining everything.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TravDC4567
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Quaint, ski lodge atmosphere - albeit somewhat dated. This hotel lists wheelchair accessible. I don't think this should be advertised as such. There is no elevator - and rails are not consistent on all stairs (I use a cane from time to time as mobility issues make stairs difficult) Which also meant, I was not going to travel down to lowest level to the vending machines. Restaurant was not open at all during the time there. It was the busiest weekend for the area in the fall - other service providers had commented that the area was as busy as the busiest ski weekend in the winter. It was the weekend of Spartan Race and everything was sold out / filled to capacity. This would have been an opportunity to provide opportunity to purchase dinners racers looking to 'carb load' before the race - Pasta dinner would have been scooped up by many I'm sure. Instead we are off to find a place to have dinner - because the three items available to purchase, hot dogs, chili, and chili dogs (both nights of our stay), would not have been good for stomachs getting ready to race in the a.m. Problem with the water heater meant no hot water for race morning. (these things happen, I know). Bed sofa was AWFUL - need of repair. It was a clean place however to lay our heads at the end of a busy day. I've never done a review before - and for me, this stay the cons outweighed the pros - and I'm confident I will not be choosing this location next year.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The lodge is quite nice and the room was huge. We stayed during the fall foliage season and the place was not that busy. We enjoyed the wonderful view from the balcony.

The continental breakfast was a bit disappointing as it was only cereal and coffee.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Booked this place online through one of the travel search engines. Honestly, not sure which one I ended up finalizing the reservation through. Room was an acceptable price at two nights (Thursday/Friday) for $270 total before taxes. Upon arrival, she confirmed two adults, but I was standing there with my son. She asked if he was staying with us. I said yes. She said the reservation was only for two. I explained that the children were included, and I even indicated their age online. She became argumentative and told me I could not check in unless I immediately paid an extra $120 for the two days. I assume this was to pay for the 'free' breakfast. Considering we had just traveled seven hours, and the kids were tired, I paid it and told her I would take it up with the booking company and my credit card company after the trip. She continued to argue and asked why I would be disputing it. I told her it was no longer her concern. With this increase in cost, it was no longer a value, as I could have stayed at the Pinnacle condos 500 feet away and had my own kitchen, bedroom, and fireplace.

I've stayed at this location before when traveling with just my son, primarily because of the indoor pool, which was in pretty good shape for the age of the hotel. We returned mostly for this reason again because we had my daughter along as well (kids love hotel pools). Last trip, we had some issues, but I did not review it at that time. I decided to give it a second visit before I dismissed the problems as a one-time fluke. This trip confirmed they were not. The water in the hotel is outright disgusting. It tastes like very salty ocean water. Whether from the faucet, shower, or anywhere else in the hotel. You can imagine how nasty their breakfast coffee is. Make sure you bring plenty of bottled water if you waste your time and money at this hotel.

The temperature in the room - both trips - could not be controlled. We actually had to sleep with the sliding glass door open two feet just to make it tolerable. Several outlets in the room didn't work. The hotel is severely dated, but that isn't a deal-breaker for me. It would just be nice to see some improvements.

While the pool was fine - nothing special - the jets in the hot tub did not work the first night. The second night, they were functioning when we got there, but they stopped working shortly thereafter. The front desk attending wandered in while we were there, and she explained that that happens when a lot of people are in there and get out at once. She indicated it trips a safety mechanism. First, that is ridiculous. Second, two (slightly above average weight individuals) were the ones using it prior. If two people getting out of a hot tub at the same time causes it to stop working, time to call a repairman.

Maybe I've been watching too much Hotel Impossible, but this hotel reminded me of the ones they showcase on the show. There were little 'nitpicky' signs all over the place. 'Don't open this door or you will pay $2,500 minimum.' 'Sorry, we no longer accept coupons.' 'Don't use this (randomly placed bucket in the hallway) for anything but recycling - no diapers', etc.

Also not sure how older people can stay at this hotel, having to lug equipment up two floors with no elevator. I only whined slightly, but I'm in my 30s. Ten more years and the whining would have increased tremendously.

All in all, the stay amounted to nothing more than an inconvenient hassle. The proximity to the mountain is the only saving grace, and there are many other places I will choose from in the future, as Cascades is done for me.

Room Tip: Request the lower floors as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Scott O

Travellers are raving about these Killington hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 March 2013

My wife and I checked in and had just put our stuff down in the room. Unfortunately, we had to leave within 20 minutes because of a medical emergency with one of our children who was back home. The General Manager, Amy, refused to give us even a partial refund or credit whatsoever even though our stay was on a Sunday night and the place was not even half booked (so they would not have been able to rent out the room anyhow). All we had done was sit on the bed for a few minutes and the GM said that it appeared that we had jumped on the bed and used the bathroom (which we had not). We even offered to pay the house cleaning fee for the room and asked her to just refund the rest of our money which she refused. We frequent Killington and will plan our stays elsewhere. Thanks for the understanding, Amy!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple