“Not Grand but not Bad”

Killington Grand Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Killington
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I have stayed at Motel 6's, Super 8s, and a few cinder block mom & pops that were downright frightening; and I have also stayed at the Ritz Carlton, the Wynn, and the Venician. The Grand sits squarely in the middle of those extremes.

Location: For Killington, it's as good as you can get other than one of the "real" ski-in/out condos off of the Great Eastern or Sunset Village. But let's be real here - it is not exactly ski-in/ski-out. It is walk-to, walk from. The walk is about 50 yards and perfectly flat (since it's mostly a bridge over a pond). For an individual or couple, it's no problem. But if you have young children, it's a hassle. Skiing in is possible if conditions are just right - which means no pedestrians walking on the bridge when you come down the hill at 40mph and hit it. If the bridge is empty you can ski all the way across it with a fast running start but on average you can only do that one out of every 4-5 attempts due to pedestrian traffic on the bridge.

Facilities: The rooms are fine. They're not great for sure, but they're not gross. They're very middle of the road. Heat/air is provided through a wall-unit which you control with the old push-button / turn hot/cold knobs (not a thermostat on the wall) so that gives you some idea. On the other hand, the beds were very comfortable. We stayed in adjoining rooms - one standard room (2 queen beds, nothing else) and one efficiency (1 sofa pull out bed and 1 murphy bed and an efficiency kitchen with 6-top dining table). This actually was ideal for us with two tweener boys - they stayed in the murphy/pull-out beds but we got the benefit of the kitchen, but we got a nice bed. The furniture was all fine and comfortable, but again, nothing exactly special - just solid average.

The hotel outside of the rooms:
The lobby area is fine. The place could use a decorator - some fine touches could make a pretty big difference in look and feel in the common areas. They just have a lot of sloppy details that could use some final touches.

The free breakfast room is a conference room and it's fine for what it is, but it generally has a trough feel to it. It's not organized quite right and the staff can't keep up with the turnover apparently because everything is pretty trashed. Nothing gross, just not clean, you know. Compared to a typical Hilton property (or Hampton even), it's very sloppy and feels sub-par. But, it's a hot breakfast - just not a real clean elegant one but rather a functional one. Which is fine for what it is - breakfast on your way to the slopes. But it's not as good as it could be with a little effort. I don't understand why they don't put in the last 5% effort that would make a big difference - this goes across the board in the hotel.

The pool area is interesting - too small in general for the size of the hotel though. We were there during an off week, midweek, and the two hot-tubs were cram packed with folks waiting in the luke-warm pool most of the time to pounce on a spot. The whole pool/spa area has kind of a cement low-rate feel to it - not a luxury hotel/resort/ski-village feel. Again, consistent with all the hotel details. It was clean and functional, just missing the details that could make it feel really elegant or up-scale.

Ski valet - wonderful idea and very useful - the guys who staff it are very nice, courteous, professional, and helpful - can't say enough good about them. By the second day they knew and addressed my family by name and always went out of their way to hold the outside door open for us coming and going. But get this: you can check your skis here, but not poles and boots. Hello - this hotel is bigger than some shopping malls. Walking from the valet to your room when it's an 1/8 mile walk down a hall, up an elevator, then down another very long hall, is painful as heck in ski boots!! There is tons of (wasted) room in the area near/around the valet - I can't believe they didn't set it up as a place to drop skis, boots, and poles. The idea should be that you come down in your snow boots or slippers and leave them there in exchange for skis/boots/poles. Then trade back at the end of the day. So, again, wonderful idea in theory, just not executed right and the details left it leaving in what would be a real up-class luxury. Be sure to tip your valet. :D

The ugly:
All of that said, we would stay here again, knowing fully it's one of these places that just "is what it is" and frankly there are no really nice places that have full hotel-level services available at killington. Except for one thing: it was the loudest hotel we have ever stayed at, bar none. We were at the very end of a hall, during a very slow off-peak midweek, and you would have thought it was a combination of spring break and biker week. We were bombarded by noise from all possible sides - rooms on both sides, upstairs, and in the halls, and it generally went on throughout the night. I know that behavior is out of the control of the hotel, but the paper-thin walls and even ceilings were in their control. Not only could you hear talking in the next room - we actually heard one person fart. Yes it was funny and sad all at once.

Bottom line: it is what it is - a very average ski "resort" that serves its function very well but sadly is just a few details from being a very special experience.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank 0neWolf

Reviewed 13 February 2011

Spent 4 nights here at the start of February and wished I could have stayed another week. We booked mid-week and the price, although more expensive that others in town, was still more than worth the cost. The staff are a great, rooms are clean and comfortable and the pool-hot tub area was exactly what was needed to end a great day of skiing.
This is a hotel designed to make a ski trip easy. You can park the car on the day of arrival and leave it there until the day you leave. The staff will take care of your equipment, you can walk to the lifts and either eat at the hotel or cook in the rooms. One short trip to town to pick up the basics and we were set. There is value in that for me, and that value easily covered the cost of the room.
We will return to the Killington Grand for another ski trip. We found it to be more than we had hoped for and dollar for dollar, the best deal in town.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2011

At $500 a day for two including skiing, I was expecting better rooms. My room had a bed in the closet that needed to be pulled out?

Breakfast room is in a dark no window conference room.

Beside ski in out, I would never go back.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 5 February 2011

We booked a 6 night, 5 of 6 day ski vacation for our family of 4, with two kids 12 and 6. Booked by calling, to get better rates and deal than we could figure out online. The online booking was a bit confusing, and we were able to get the kids to ski for free with our 5 of 6 day lift tix, but it was not clear from the web.
The room was at the end of the hall; we booked a 1 BR suite with a sofa bed, which was nice for us, as there are doors between our bedroom and the kids on the sofa bed.
The kitchen was nicely equipped, but only had 4 of everything, plates, bowls, etc, so that if you did cook and need to store in containers, there were only the dishes, and some extra serving bowls. Altogether, not bad. New pots and pans, nothing old.
Nice to have two TVs, one with DVD and stereo, the other in bedroom. Bath was nice with double sink, would have been nice to have jet tub.
Bedroom had balcony with chairs, although with all the snow, not used.
We had to extend the stay two extra nights, and were able to get a good deal, with a major snow storm mid week, we were able to stay in our same room and get two additional days skiing.
Breakfast was included in the room package, which is well worth it for a family of 4. Hot breakfast, with eggs, bacon, cereals, fresh fruits, make your own waffles, juice, coffee, sweet rolls. Nice buffet, and great for the kids to have a good hot breakfast before a long day skiing.
Ski check is convenient, and staff nice. They're helpful on tips on trails to ski and how to get there.
If you have kids in ski school, it is a bit of a haul to the Ramshead lodge where the ski school is located, so prepare to pull, carry and walk your kids over there. Takes a good 5-8 minute walk with a 6 year old, especially in deep snow.
Ski school staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Really nice folks who know how to work with younger kids and get them going down the slopes. They have a nice program, and nice staff.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank jljmom
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We traveled to the Killington Grand from Jan 25-Jan29, midweek. We traveled with our two small children, 2 yr old boy and 8 month girl. My parents also joined us as well. 6 total. We booked the 2 bedroom penthouse (breakfast and 3 day life ticket included in price) when we checked in, we asked to upgrade to a 3 bedroom and it was no problem. BEAUTIFUL room with gorgeous views of the slopes, we were right above the pool as well. We even had a sauna in our room. The room would be great for big groups, plenty of room, 3 bathrooms, large dinning table and good sized kitchen. We had put our children in the Friendly Penguin day care for 2 full days, (kinda pricy, but what daycare isn't) and our 2 yr old son actually skiied 2 days!! Wonderful staff and instructor at the daycare, our children were happy while they stayed there.

Skiing was very convenient at the Grand b/c you can ski in/out, they will check your skiis downstairs, you bring your boots and poles to the room. The slopes were amazing and the views were breathtaking.
Breakfast was buffett and child friendly, they also had high chairs for my two little ones. Staff was friendly and accomodating. They have two arcades (good for the little guy to roam around). The gym is nice, used it one day. The pool and hot tub are fantastic, especially after a long day of skiing in the cold.
The benefit staying midweek is the hotel is not busy at all and the slopes are empty, I would recommend if you can to stay then and not on a weekend b/c when Friday came we could tell the difference.
Overall, we will be back! Wonderful time with family and enjoyed skiing!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2011

We spent New Years with friends staying at the Grand, our 5th or 6th time there. I normally don't post but having stayed at many of the hotels and condos in the Killington area I felt the need to correct some of the other reviews i've read. First and foremost, this hotel is about the location, and the price tag reflects it. It is the only hotel with slopeside service in Killington (yes there is the walk-bridge over the snowmaking pond but when we were there is was snow covered and easily skiable, and it's only like 150 ft). It is not the Ritz Carlton and if you are looking for this type of decor, service etc., go somewhere else (like Beaver Creek or Vail). All of the other hotels require that you take a shuttle to and from the slopes due to their location away from the slopes. Most of the condos (all except Sunrise) require at minimum a shuttle to the slopes and a ski home trail (snow dependant). This is why I would rather pay the premium for the location. My friends and I enjoy the ability to start and stop whenever we want, go back to the room to add/subtract a layer, take a nap, have lunch, etc., etc. This property gives us that flexibility. It's easy to get dressed in the room, take the elevator down to the ground floor, pick up the skis from ski-check, walk across the bridge and clip in to your skis/board at the lift.

The lobby is very nice with several fireplaces to relax in front of with a bottle of wine. The bell-hops are very pleasant and are good for a recomendation for dinner or drinks (and seemed to "read" the guest and what they were looking for before offering their advice). The pool is fantastic (although can get a little busy after 4:30 (since everyone wants to go to the pool after skiing all day to stretch out their legs). We had a great time watching the sunset from the pool with a few drinks while telling stories of the days best spills, snow, etc. The gym looks nice, although my legs have always been too tired to use it.

The rooms are set up to maximize a number of skiers after a long day on the slopes. I have slept on the pull out couche and it was not very comfortable (although I can't say I have ever slept on a confortable pull out couch). The murphy beds feel as good as a normal bed and the king/queen beds are extremely comfortable. If you want to pack 8-10 people in a unit, you can, just be aware you won't each have a bedroom and your own bathroom (seems like common sense to me, but after reading some reviews maybe not).
There are downsides, although minor in my mind. The decor is somewhat generic and the front desk can seem a little overwhelmed at some points. Check-in can be late (i think it was 3 or 4), but it appears that this is a result of other guests not checking out by 11 (wanting to ski all day, go back to their room, and then check out). Everything (not just at the Grand, but all restaurants, shops, hotels) is overpriced. They know they have a vacation town full of skiers and can charge an inflated amount. There is no room service and no mini-bar in the room. We normally cook light breakfast in the room (and skip the hotel breakfast), eat lunch there 50% of the time, and have few drinks in the room to make the ski-inflated prices seem a little more reasonable, so I don't really have a need for these things, but to each their own.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Skinut23
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We took a 4 day trip to Killington between Xmas and New Year. Check-in is at 5:30pm so we had an hour or so, after arrival, before our room was ready. The check-in person was distracted by phone calls, taking them while in the middle of processing our arrival. We explored the hotel a little and then settled at a window table in the gift store which has a nice view of the outdoor pool and the slopes. They sell a good range of teas & Starbucks coffee. The room was 'valley facing' but clean with plenty of space. I clever little 'nook' to hang heavy coats as well as a large wicker baskets for wet footwear was welcome. The inter-leading door 'bled' noise from the other room but not too badly. The beds were extremely comfy, soft but with no dip in the middle. Pillows a bit floppy and others were available in closet. Water pressure in shower was a little low but acceptable. The lack of a mini fridge was annoying even though we ate nothing in the room; it would have been nice to keep some water / juice bottles cold. The hotel was very quiet after 10:30pm and there was very little (if any) noise after 11pm. Breakfast room was a huge disappointment. I had envisaged a glass-walled room with stunning views of mountains ( would have settled for even seeing the parking lot!) instead we were directed to the "North Star/East Star??" room which was the most uninspiring windowless area, the sort of thing you get shoved into on those endless conferences. The tables were the fold-up kind (again, seen at conferences) which bashed your legs no matter which way you sat and the chairs were also of the fold-up wooden variety. As I don't ski/snowboard I had pictured my family setting off while I enjoyed another coffee or two over my newspaper. Now way: the moment we could clear out we did. The food was good with a large variety of choices and we never waited for a table. Service was prompt and friendly - just such a pity it felt like you were eating in a basement. During our stay I sat in all the seating areas available to read and found them pleasant if a little drafty. Naturally there is an ongoing stream of people coming from and going to the slopes/pool but it was not unpleasant. My family declared the pool and hot tub a huge success. We ate lunch and dinner out each day and there were many choices. If you plan to eat dinner out try to find places which accept reservations or be prepared to wait. We knew this would be the case (were there at the busiest time of the year) but found that most places do not take bookings.On our last night we booked at Ovations. The service was slow to get started (waited for menus) but after that it was great. We found the food to be tasty but not exceptional. (The risotto appeared to have been made with standard white rice??) The saxophonist was a nice touch but the lighting was awful, giving the entire place a sort of greyish tint. Two of us booked a Spa visit for a Swedish Massage and a Hot Stone massage. The staff were superb from book-in to paying. I had "Jane from New Zealand" who was fantastic - ask for her if you want a great Stone massage. The bathrooms, robes etc were great and I will definitely go back. They said it was their busiest week ever and yet everyone was calm and professional without a hint of feeling rushed. Well worth a visit. I can't talk about the slopes but my family raved about the convenience and the choices of slopes. "Bob from Key West" took some lovely photos of them at the top which I ordered from the photo shop. Staff at the shop were friendly and super-helpful. We will do this again next year.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank laura-janeNJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killington
Cascades Lodge Killington
#2 of 13 in Killington
Killington Motel
Killington Motel
#3 of 13 in Killington

Been to Killington Grand Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!