“Fantastic, with minor issues.”
Review of The Trailside Inn

The Trailside Inn
Ranked #1 of 14 Killington B&B and Inns
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Fantastic, with minor issues.”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was up here with a huge group of people Friday/Saturday nights. I read the other reviews on here and was really nervous about the "mice" situation.

When I got to my room, I did a full inspection all over the place. What mice? I didn't notice anything that would say there was an infestation here and after two days I was slightly suspicious of that review.

First off lets back up - this place was clearly a lot nicer than I expected. Pine hardwood floors and very recent renovations was simply great. I was in one of the single rooms with a twin bed. The bed was so comfortable, it was hard to leave it. There's no TV in the room, but you can get WiFi access, and easily watch TV/movies on your iPad or other streaming device. They had two flat screen TVs in the "main room", and that common area was really fantastic. You can also order hot tubs to the lodge (which we did) and enjoy them after a long day on the mountain. Our group didn't even go out to the bars much - we mostly cracked open a cold beer and sat in the common room playing board games or Jenga, while watching college basketball & playing music.

Minor issue 1 is when the dawn broke the room was very bright. Again, minor, since most people are headed to the mountain early, but I went to the mountain around 9 and was up by 7. Wished I brought a sleeping mask.

Minor issue 2 is the walls are a bit thin. I could hear someone coughing the night away in another room. My iPhone had a "white noise generator" (its in the music store) which solved that for me on the first night. So I do agree if you have a loud neighbor, that might be an issue.

Minor issue 3 is I went to the game room to play pool, only to find all the tips of the pool sticks were broken. But they had a very nice foosball table and a poker table too. I spoke to the people at the desk about the pool sticks, who told me that the group from the last weekend broke them, and that replacements were on the way.

I liked the continental breakfast (bagels, muffins, etc) with cereals (raisin bran, cheerios and something else), oatmeal, coffee, orange juice, apples and bananas. Its not fancy, but they serve it from 8am to 10am. In my humble opinion they probably should consider 7am to 10am, only because a lot of people who want to get a jump on the mountain might want to grab something and head up there early.

Most of my points are quibbling points and if I do go back there in the future, i'd just remember to bring my own pool stick and sleeping mask. I have been to 5 star hotels and "low" star hostels all over the world - unless you are a snob or have a chip on your shoulder you should really like there. After leaving I was extremely happy our group chose this hotel.

I think this is a great option for big groups who are planning group vacations to Killington.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Joshua E, Owner at The Trailside Inn, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
First - thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback! We are the new owners now and appreciate all the compliments and are glad that you enjoyed your room as well as our common areas. We have since replaced the pool sticks, as you mentioned. We have also changed the breakfast time to accommodate guests that are up earlier. We hope that our wonderful accommodations outweigh any minor issues. Thank you again for all of your suggestions!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Meredith, New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Where do I start?
1. On the last night of our stay, we discovered that there were mice in the room; We found mice dropping on the bed and a partially eaten bar of soap. The following morning and upon our checkout, when I grabbed the paper bag on the floor which contained our snacks and fruits, to our dismay, we noticed that the mice had gnawed at the bag and contents within. Upon further inspection of the floor where the bag was, there was again the disgusting sight of mice droppings!

2. The toilet took over an hour to fill up after every flush. We attempted to adjust the valve to the tank in hopes that this would solve the problem, but it did not help. We resolved to using the ice container to carry water to it.

3. The large mat on the floor was absolutely filthy! We rolled it, and placed it in a corner.

4. You can hear if someone whispers in an adjacent room -the walls are that thin and I wonder if there is even any insulation.

5. We had 2 of 3 sleepless nights due to the ruckus of other guests. On the first night, the noise was unbelievable. There was a room full of kids next to us (without any adult supervision) and we were subjected to profanity-laced chatter and laughter. We went to the front desk after 11 p.m. but no one was there. We then called on the phone at the front, but no one picked up. We had to knock on the door to ask them to quiet down, but even after an hour or so, we could still hear them laughing. The front desk did talk to the parents for the kids of that room, but on the second night, another set of guests made even more noise, with kids running up and down the hallway and screaming. After a few hours, I believe that another set of guests eventually quieted them down. At that point, from the combination of exhaustion, sleepless nights, noise, etc we were all suffering from headaches! This is the busiest time of the year for the hotel, why wouldn't they have someone more available to assist guests after hours???

6. Upon check-in, we weren't informed that the rooms were not cleaned out daily if you do not hang the notice on the door for them to do so. On day two, we asked for clean towels and had gathered a pile of dirty towels and trash for the innkeeper to carry away when they brought us the clean ones. He looked at us like our request to remove these things from the room was ridiculous and told us to just leave it there for the following day. So, I asked him to at least take the trash away, which he reluctantly did.

7. The rooms were not the cleanest. No TV, mini refrigerator or microwave. A third day of the breakfast was pure torture!

Although we were enjoying everything about our vacation in Killington, the hotel experience was excruciatingly painful and a complete disaster for $150/night x 2 rooms. Spend the additional $50 and go to a better inn or hotel because it's really not worth a hotel ruining your vacation, especially when you have a group relying on you for lodging arrangements. I am left embarrassed because I selected this inn. Management has offered me 1 queen room (for 2 guests) for 2 nights. Unfortunately, my partner thinks that I'm out of my mind to even entertain this offer. This goes to show you how much he detests this place. He said that you could pay him to go back there and he wouldn't.

Room Tip: Skip the hotel all together.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank janelle b
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here with 3 friends for a ski weekend at Killington. The rooms were clean, the beds were very comfortable, the service was great and and we loved the big comfortable common room. We were happy to hang out, drink wine and play some board games after a long day of skiing. Great value for the money, will definitely come back!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Heather K
Joshua E, Owner at The Trailside Inn, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for the great review. Please come stay with us again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed at Trailside with a large group of skiers/snowboarders. It only takes 8 minutes to get to Killington Mountain. The lodge was just remodeled and has large common areas that are suitable for groups. It was so nice that most nights we decided to stay at the lodge, play board games, and relax by the fire.
I would definitely recommend it for large groups.

Room Tip: There were a bunch of us so I was able to check out a lot of rooms. They were pretty much the same s...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sean M
Joshua E, Owner at The Trailside Inn, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for the great review.
Reviewed 24 October 2013

A group of us stayed here because there was nothing left at Killington within our price range and we were pleasantly surprised! It turned out to be only minutes from the mountain, there was a common area with a huge fireplace that was great for hanging out after a long day of skiing, the rooms were very clean and the staff were extremely helpful. This will definitely be our first choice next trip!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sms89
Joshua E, Owner at The Trailside Inn, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for the good review.
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed at the Trailside Inn once for a wedding and again for a week long ski vacation. Killington Mountain is a couple miles away and Pittsfield is a great place to stay, if you're looking to take a vacation in VT!

They have 2 different types of rooms. Half of the rooms are like a hotel/b&b room with everything to be expected and the other rooms are great for groups - esp. if you're skiing/golfing. There were 5 or so comfortable bunk beds in the spacious room and it was the perfect spot to split with a group of friends. I highly suggest staying here!

- it's right next to the Green Mountain Golf course
- a couple minutes away from Killington & Pico ski mountains
- amazing biking & hiking trails
- cute VT general store down the street

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachel S
Joshua E, Owner at The Trailside Inn, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for the positive feedback.
Westmore, Vermont
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The Trailside was recommended to us via long time friends that were getting married in the area. Upon checking in we were told that our "room was not a private room, and the empty beds could be rented out at anytime."There is also a crudely framed note in the room explaining that if any extra towels or beds are used there will be a $50.00 charge for each one. Was allowed to check in early which was nice, but got a knock on the door 15 minutes later asking us to keep it down. At 2:00 in the afternoon....
Shower room was smaller then a Porta-john, Toilet and wall behind it was disgusting, No tv's, No fridges, and forget the continental breakfast....Old bagels and watery coffee.
I understand that I have a head full of drealocks and a few tattoos, but the women behind desk acted as though my group and I might burn the place down, or even worse....use the spare pillows. Next time I think I'll forget about supporting the local businesses and go to Motel 6....unfortunate.

Room Tip: The bunk rooms were actually convenient us as a large group. But don't use the spare towels!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Angela J
Joshua E, Owner at The Trailside Inn, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Angela - thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. As new owners/innkeepers to Trailside, it is certainly disappointing to read of your experience. We pride ourselves on being very welcoming and would hope that you would reconsider visiting us again in the future. We've made lots of positive changes and would love it if you gave our local business a 2nd chance.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Greenbrier Inn
Greenbrier Inn
#7 of 14 in Killington
Red Clover Inn & Restaurant

Been to The Trailside Inn? Share your experiences!