Highridge Condominiums
Happy Bear Motel(Killington)
  • Pool
Val Roc Motel(Killington)
View Hotel
All reviewsski home trailup to datesmall saunaindoor poolliving roommulti generational familywhirlpool tubthese unitsfull bathski weeka nice place to staysnowshed lodgeski lockerslate checkwasher and dryerhotel roompull out couch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here the weekend before Christmas last year. The price was reasonable and the place was completely amazing. Our two floor 1 bedroom unit had a giant tub and sauna included, as well as full kitchen, flat screen, W/D, fireplace, and rear balcony facing the woods. It snowed everyday when we were there and I honestly couldn't ask for a better trip. Everything about it was perfect, and I can be a fairly discerning traveler.

I am looking to book another trip for this December and it now appears that it may no longer be killington managed and it looks like prices have went up, so it may not be as good a deal anymore.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brandon Y
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I consider myself a well traveled "ski bum" who has made treks out west but more commonly up and down the east coast. Needless to say, Killington is always a destination a few times every season. We've definitely stayed in our share of dumps as well as 5-star locations. This time, looking to travel to Killington over Presidents' Weekend, we weren't going to be picky. That said, we used Killington's new "snow blind" booking system (similar to priceline's name-your-own-price feature) and after a little research, booked what was called the Highridge "Motel Room" (also reviewed below). The result was a BARGAIN for the location & peak-weekend! The motel rooms looks to be the result of the condo buildings having a little left over apartment-like space in various buildings. It is as advertised: very small room (about the size of a dorm room) with a big closet, LCD TV w/ DVD, very large bathroom and queen size bed. All is relatively clean, albeit a bit dated. There is parking right outside and ski storage. WiFi, which was free, was not the best -- I had a very low signal and had not great service. The router was obviously not in our building and so was not a well thoughout perk.

The shuttle, which picks up right outside and ran about every 15 minutes, was very convenient, dropping us off right at Snowshed. My ONE gripe relates to the Highridge complex being labeled as having a "ski home" trail. When we checked in, I specifically asked the front desk about the ski home trail. I was told it was very accessible, had "a few flat spots" and was not recommended for snowboarders. In actuality, having "skied" it on our first day out, it is NOT RECOMMENDED unless you have telemark/AT skis and are looking for a trek. The trail is about 1-2 miles long with about 90% being uphill. While we certainly earned the cold beer we treated ourselves to, we would have much preferred to catch the shuttle back.

We also had no cleaning service ANY of the days/nights we were there. Don't know if this is an oversight or it's how these condos operate.

All in all, the highridge motel room(s) are a great bargain made even better by booking "blind". We would definitely stay here again for a low frills, very convenient trip to Killington!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Josh G
Reviewed 1 February 2011

We have stayed at Highridge a number of times and always enjoyed it. The units are very nice, they are close to the mountain/restaurants and it's always been a nice ski vacation with the family. However, this time, we found out that building we were put in also was rented to groups of college kids - who partied until 4am. I was worried when the music was blasting when we first arrived, but it was only 8pm so I hoped for the best. But, at 1am when the music, loud voices and stomping feet continued, I called the office. They said they would send security out. Of course it continued and at 2:30am they were yelling, running the jacuzzi and streaking through the snow. I called again and was told security would be called again. None of us slept all night as the noise continued. In the morning I called and asked to be moved to another building and was told "oh yes, I see there are a number of college kids in that unit". Why would you put a family with a 14 year old in a unit with groups of college kids? These condos are pretty expensive - so you would hope for a nice experience. I have to say the staff was very accommodating and did move us to a lovely - and quiet unit. So, bottom line is the place is great, if you are lucky enough to be in a quiet building. I feel bad for owners of these condos who I'm sure don't know that large groups of college kids are renting their units.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RVJV1985
Reviewed 25 January 2011

The C7 Loft Unit had enough room for 3 adults and a two-year old. Had all you need, and then some. Kitchen, dining room, sauna, Jacuzzi tub in Master bathroom. Loft has 2 beds, separate bathroom and shower. Ideal for 2 older children, but we had one adult living up there with comfort. The Master bedroom was a little small for our taste, with a queen bed (we much prefer a king-size), plus we had the crib in our room. This unit is on top floor of the building, so be prepared for a lot of going up and down. Doesn’t bother us, but may be a hassle for people with less physical stamina, especially carrying luggage.
We got incredibly lucky with the weather and snow for skiing, so our trip was a major hit, accommodations, obviously, also played an important role in improving such a great vacation. Overall, this was a great and memorable stay. We would prefer a 2-bedroom for our group size, but this worked out, considering the $ we saved on getting a 2-br/3bath went towards extra-stay for 2 days. Booking was very easy and pleasant, the folks up in Killington are very helpful. We will return, as we have done many times already.
Pros: Location. Living room and kitchen-dining area size is perfect. Fireplace was great. Sauna (2 people max, best used one person at the time) worked well after a day at the slopes. Cozy décor. TV and dvd and stereo players worked great. Kitchen is well-stocked with things you need – big fridge, oven, microwave oven, mixer, toaster, coffeemaker are available and work well, lots of plates and such (but for some reason, only 4 forks). Lovely “corner” sofa in the living room: 2 adults can stretch out completely while watching the fireplace, or tv. View of the Rams Head mountain – very beautiful, and helpful in determining the weather up there. There is a bus shuttling skiers to and from the mountain. There is a towel and trash service. We cooked and ate in the unit our breakfasts and some of the dinners with comfort. Plenty of parking, well snow-plowed early in the morning for those who want to be first on the lifts. Also, the staff cleared and weather-proofed the walkways timely.
Cons: the mattress (master bedroom) was not very comfortable, pillows are not up to our standards, so we are used to travel (if driving) with our own. Also a bit tricky to regulate the heat. No maid service even on request – we were willing to pay for it, but were told it is not possible. Once again, I wish for the guests with longer stays (we were there for 8 days) maid service was available at least once. The hallway noise is very audible in the bedrooms. So weekends, or days when there are major events happening at Killington, it is a bit of a problem. A lot of partiers stay out till last call, and stumble up the staircase with very loud… eh… comments. Nothing is wrong, of course, with having a great time at the dance club, but be prepared: if you want some sleep, bring earplugs, or expect to be awaken at 2 AM. Jacuzzi tub is hard to fill with enough hot water to use.
Be sure to eat at Pizza Jerks, Choices, Charity’s, Sushi-Yoshi, and for a one-time splurge – at Hemingway’s. There is a food market on Killington access road, with great deli counter.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank L-Bolek
Reviewed 13 January 2011

These may be the nicest condos in Killington basin. The complex is located on a hillside surrounded by trees, so you definitely feel part of a mountain experience. Our unit was a 2 bedroom. The two-level floor plan gave a spacious impression; living/dining kitchen, bath, and bedroom on the top level, master suite below. The master suite bathroom included a sauna -- very welcome after a day of skiing. Besides the bedrooms, both levels had a pullout sofa, and small decks overlooking Killington. These might have been our favorite feature (the views are pretty spectacular).

Furnishings somewhat dated, but cleaner and in better condition than some other Killington properties I've stayed at. Plenty of space for both living and dining areas, and the kitchen was large enough to actually use. Real working fireplaces are in each unit -- again welcome after skiing. Wood is complimentary.

There is a pool and outdoor hot tub located in the health center, which requires either a short walk or drive depending on unit location. The outdoor tub was very nice, the indoor pool/excercise room facilities were just average.

If there is a major drawback to this property, it's the location. Highridge is about as far away from a base lodge as you can get and still be in Killington basin. There is shuttle service, but the schedule is much less frequent than the properties on the main access road, so the only real option is to drive to the lifts.

Finally, our unit did not contain some rather basic items such as a pen and paper, matches, or a corkscrew. I realize that these units are individually owned, but I would expect Killington reservations to require at least the items you could find in any motel to be on hand in all of them.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends