“you get what you pay for”
Review of Grey Bonnet Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Killington
Grey Bonnet Inn
Ranked #11 of 14 Killington B&B and Inns
Warlingham, United Kingdom
“you get what you pay for”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

we stayed here for a weeks skiing holiday and all though the rooms are a bit tired they are kept very clean by the staff damen was very helpful throughout our stay the breakfast is average with not much choice and often they run out of bacon or sausages so you have even less choice.
The inn is only a short drive from the mountain in the car about five minutes but would be a pain if you don not have youre own transport as the shuttle does not service this hotel.
The pool was not usable the week we stayed as it had just been filled the week before and was green and not heated enough to cold to get in to.
The restaurant is closed so you have to go out to eat at night and some of the restaurants in killington are a rip off but all said and done we had plenty of snow and a warm clean place to crash out after a hard days skiing.

Room Tip: room on the ground floor
3 Thank Simon M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washingtonville, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We booked an over night stay at this place because they advertised an indoor pool, hot tub, game room & restaurant, so my kids and I could have a little fun when we got there. We were told the restaurant was not serving dinner that night, but would have breakfast in the morning. I told the guy on the phone that we were looking forward using the pool & hot tub when we arrived, so he made a point to ask the kids if they wanted to swim & explained where the pool was when we checked in. We were all excited to check out the pool & hot tub, but the moment we saw it that turned to disappointment. The pool was brown, the hot tub was scuzzy looking. Not one person who went down to the pool area went in, we saw several other people come down ready to swim & leave without doing so.

After going out to get something to eat, I wanted to discuss the pool issue with someone, but there was no one around. We rang the bell & the emergency only doorbell, but no one answered. So we decided to make the best of it & went downstairs to check out the game room/common area. There was a broken bumper pool table, a broken fuze ball table, an intact pingpong table but no paddles or balls a coin operated pool table in another room, but no change machine and remember the 2 workers seen around check-in had disappeared. Now we see a big TV with a few movies, so we were thinking of watching a movie, but either the TV & VCR were broken or the outlets weren't getting power, again no one to ask for help so we just went back to our room.

The room itself was ok, the bathroom was made for midgets, not only was the sink low it was angled toward the floor, the toilet was stained brown.

The buffet breakfast was good but nothing extraordinary.

It was a horrible experience and I wish I had read the previous reviews before selecting the Grey Bonnet Inn. I will definitely check next time.

Room Tip: don't stay there
3 Thank Trish Q

Travellers are raving about these Killington hotels

NH
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We came in for a night when we had a ski weekend planned. We stayed there because according to their website they had a nice restaurant (complete with menu listed on website), a hot tub, shuttle to ski area. The pics of the rooms looked a little outdated but considering we were only there for one night we weren't too concerned. We got to the inn, saw a sign that said Grey Bonnet Inn and Restaurant and checked in. Got to our room and just as we expected it was outdated but comfortable enough for our needs. We went to have dinner in the dining room after reviewing the menu that was left in the room along with a sign on the dresser that said to check out Olivias restaurant and Olivers Tavern. We go in and the dining room was dark. We asked the front desk who then told us that they phased out the restaurant but still had breakfast available in the mornings. They threw a couple menus at us and said we could order from these places but we had to do it immediately otherwise they wouldn't deliver once they got busy OR we could drive down the street and eat. We did but the whole purpose of staying there was that we didn't have to leave once we got there. We got to the room after dinner and my husband noticed that the channels listed in the room did not match up to the channels available on the tv. He was told that the rooms did not have those channels and if he wanted to watch something he had to come out to the living room. He was waiting to watch SNL Saturday night but discovered he was unable to due to a "quiet time" restriction from 10pm until 7am. So basically, we paid 200.00 for 1 night to stay in a ridiculously outdated room, with no TV, no pool, no restaurant, not enough towels in the room for the number of people we had, no phone to make the free local calls that it advertised we could make, no NOTHING. Would never stay there again and wish we could get our money back for all the issues we had. We even had to wait to check out because there was nobody to be seen! We stood at the counter, rang the bell for over 15 minutes before somebody came to counter and that was after I had to track someone down in the kitchen.

Room Tip: Just don't even bother. Not worth the price. For the same price you can stay at a much nicer p...
2 Thank mtibbals
Worcester, MA
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I wish I could give negative stars for this place. I am not picky about hotels. I just need a bed, pillow, and shower and I'm fine when skiing. This place was HORRIBLE. Avoid at all costs. For starters -- no shuttles to the mountain or access road.

Room: Outdated and old- fine.. the floor was cement- we were on the first floor aka basement near the pool. Smelled like chlorine. Shower had barely any water pressure. I thought we were getting a room with 2 double beds and 1 twin but only got the 2 double beds. Next morning around 8 we were woken up to the sound of our neighbors talking.. the walls were THAT thin.

Pool/Fitness Center:
We decided to check out the pool that night after a long day of skiing. NOPE. Pool is closed and they were filling it up with water. Hot tub was DISGUSTING. Cloudy, mucky, couldn't even see the bottom. Then we went to check out the "fitness center". Wow I was brought back to 1985. The oldest equipment I have ever seen- bordering on dangerous. Didn't even bother to see if the treadmill worked.

Next morning, we woke up and went to breakfast at 9 as they were closing up. I wasn't hungry but my fiance ate. The "host" HOUNDED us for our room number. We gave it to him. He came back again- are you SURE that's your room number? YES. Came back a third time.. are you positive? Omg kid go away we gave you our room number, and there's not even food left- we're scraping the bottom of the buffet pans.
I couldn't have been happier to check out of this dump. They now have 3 separate charges on my credit card.. $120, $72, $48.40. The rate we booked at was $119! I'll be fighting that through amex.

Lesson learned- DO NOT BOOK HERE. Avoid. Don't be tempted by their low rate they quote you on the website. I'm surprised I don't have bed bugs.

1 Thank Megan L
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We booked three rooms for two nights. We picked this inn because of location and the pool. When we arrived the pool was broken and the front desk didn't disclose that detail until after the credit card was authorized. I asked why were we not informed of this on the phone or when we checked in? The man working the front desk, who I believe was the owner, stated "what do you want me to do about it!" The conversation went south quickly. The bottom line- WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank stormysummits
stamford ct
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stayed at the Bonnet for a ski weekend and were pleasantly surprised. From the outside, it doesnt look like much but inside it is the quintessential Vermont County Inn with barn wood siding and all sorts of Vermonty country objects like sled tables, spinning wheels, snowshoes, and paintings/artwork nicely framed on the walls; very charming. It has a commodious "living room" with a fireplace, a nice bar and a large diining room, a pool, hot tub and sauna; also free wifi. Breakfast comes with the room price and was a delicious buffet: scrambled eggs, biscuits with sausage gravy, fluffy pancakes, potatoes and the most scrumptious cranberry spice bread. The rooms are not spectacular and the bathrooms are small but its very adequate and cozy, esp for the price.

Its a great place for friends to stay when skiing and we will def be back here again!
In fact its our new Killington ski house!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Bridgend, Wales
Reviewed 16 February 2013

OK,

If you want a corporate hotel with all the standard generic features, look away now.....

We booked two rooms for a Sun - Friday stay on recommendation of someone who had stayed here before, however I was a bit worried after seeing some of the less than happy customers writing on trip advisor. I had no reason to be worried as we had a great stay, mainly down to the fact that Paul and his staff are genuinely passionate about keeping visitors happy.

To be realistic, you could spend a lot of money to bring this older property up to a more luxurious standard, but you'd then have to pay a lot more to stay. Paul is very engaging and I'd say he has a very British type dry wit which we found great, but maybe more serious guests don't get the right interpretation of Paul's manner. He's a nice, genuine guy trying to run a business in tough times. We met several repeat guests which just shows that this place resonates with some people and I can see why.

Rooms (we were on the first floor) are functional and clean, but be gentle with the fixtures and fittings.

Breakfast was included with our deal so we had food each morning before heading out to the slopes, with a choice of bacon/eggs/potatoes/toast or pancakes and another couple of choices but we stuck to the bacon & eggs and it was a good start to each day with a nice view of the outside conditions as the breakfast room is windows all around .

The dining room does not open every night, but on the Thursday night it did we had a great steak which was much nicer than some of the meals we'd had in the centre of town.

Bar is open each night and is nice and relaxed with games/cards to play if you want. Also there is a downstairs area with a pool table if you fancy hustling some cash off your mates. There's also another large room with a log fire if you just want to sit and relax.

We also used the indoor pool (pretty cold, but I'm a wuss) and the hot tub and sauna to relax after a hard day on the slopes.

If you come along with reasonable expectations, Paul will go out of his way to make you feel welcome and look after you. Hopefully people won't be put off by a few negative reviews and will give the Grey Bonnet a go, so that Paul can continue to do what he loves.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends