“Good Customer Service, Location (great breakfast as well)”

Butternut Inn and Pancake House
Ranked #9 of 14 Killington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Well, The Butternut is not luxurious or probably not known for having all the amenities, but one thing we felt was early good, was the customer service. We stayed for a weekend skiing, and every time we were at the Inn or turned around...Jim (the owner) was there to help!

The room was sufficient and was fairly basic.
The breakfast was surprising very good (and was included).
If your looking for basic accommodations at a reasonable price, this is as a good choice as any.

Room Tip: The rooms are all pretty much similar
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a very late entry (my husband and I stayed here a year ago in March - and I'm a procrastinator).
My husband and I were arriving late in the evening to the Butternut, and there was a massive snow storm upon us...the car we had rented from the airport had "summer" tires, and needless to say we got very stuck trying to make it up the access road!! A police officer helped my husband push our car into a vacant lot, and from there, our car wouldn't budge. So we called Jim (who was appox 3miles away) to let him know we would not be able to make it for the evening as we were stuck in the snow storm. Jim graciously said, "hang on, I'll come get you." Jim not only picked us up in the blizzard that was taking place, he helped us get to a ski rental shop the next morning so we could keep our ski plans for the day, arranged for a friend of his to help us get to the mountain, and then Jim helped us retrieve our car that evening.
Without this wonderful man, Jim, our trip could have been quite miserable...instead, it was wonderful....The Butternut Inn is warm and cozy, true, the walls are a little thin and could use some minor updating, but we found the place to be rather quiet, comfortable, and had no trouble sleeping. The breakfast was very good, the owner was extremely helpful, and we would recommend this place to anyone. Thank you Jim for all your help - it was very nice meeting you.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SnowShoeJunkie
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I just returned from a long weekend stay with a friend at the Butternut Inn & Pancake House in Killington, VT. The inn is conveniently located right off the access road, minutes from the mountain and free breakfast is provided every day of your stay. Jim and his staff were very friendly and helpful with everything from ski rentals, to shuttle rides to/from the mountain, and suggestions for where to find the best burger in town. The rooms are no frills, but with all the necessary basics including a mini fridge. I highly recommend the Butternut Inn & Pancake House for a warm and welcoming stay in Killington.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2014

During the extreme storms here in the North East we were unable to make it to the hotel. In calling and canceling our reservation we were told we would only be charged for one night. We were charged for the entire stay. I called and the man on the other end, who stated he was the owner/operator of the hotel was extremely rude and belligerent about the entire situation. In fact he even started to go off on a reservation of someone that was supposed to travel with us, but couldn't make it either. I was just trying to get information on the charges and he was yelling to the point that I had to ask him several times to calm down, and that i was merely seeking information. If this is how he treats his guests on the phone, I can say that I am glad were did not stay at this place. I would not recommend this place to anyone after the manner in which he behaved.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chrispit33
Jim H, Owner at Butternut Inn and Pancake House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

I guess I need to respond to this review.
The person writing this review. Booked a stay at our Inn Thru Booking.com.
If you visit Booking.com and see that we clearly state when you book that
the first night will be charged on the day of booking which is non-refundable.
The cancellation policy goes on as "If cancelled or modified up to 14 days before date of arrival,
the total price of the reservation will be charged".

This reviewer booked a trip for arrival on 01/30/14 and depart on 02/02/14.She booked it on
November 26th 2013. She cancelled thru booking.com on 01/28/14 two days before arrival.

She called today 02/05/14 wanting to know why her card was charged. I mentioned the policy
she did not want to hear it . I'm reading this review and I know today 02/05/14 there is a winter storm happening . The booking for this trip was for arrival of 01/30/14 the weather was blue sky
and sunny not sure what this weeks storm has to do with last week.
I said on the phone I understand that you are upset but I had been turning people away for over a month since you reserved it back in November.You just are upset and I guess your threat of using social media to blast me if i did not refund you your stay was more of a promise not a threat.Once again sorry you feel this way but I hope in the future when you book a stay somewhere else you read and understand the cancellation policy.

Thanks
The owner Jim

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This place was amazing! Jim, the owner, was the nicest guy, who helped us out wherever he could. The free shuttle service of the hotel is out of this world, Mike and Jim took us to the slopes, restaurants and anywhere else we needed to go, and even gave us two rides to Rutland!
The breakfast was amazing, waking up to freshly baked blueberry pancakes and the fantastic veggie omelette is the best feeling ever.
We can't recommend this place enough, because of its location, service and the overall experience - THIS PLACE IS THE PLACE TO BE when in Killington :)
Thanks for a wonderful stay Butternut Inn!!!

Room Tip: If staying in the rooms upstairs you can sleep in longer, because you won't hear anyone walking...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Jim the owner was great. Promptly attended to any needs. ...breakfast was great......would highly recommend. ....minutes from the mountains. Free shuttle service......very laid back...cant wait to go back....close to restaurants.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Stan T
Reviewed 11 January 2014

reviews praise the "friendly staff", "great breakfasts", and "good value", and I agree on all. Jim, the owner, is both friendly and flexible, and will go out of his way to improve peoples' stay; the blueberry pancakes are good pancakes filled with fresh blueberries, with more dumped over the top; and the prices are really good, especially considering the good location and shuttle service.

The rooms themselves are clean and adequate, but no one goes to Killington for the rooms. The common area of the lodge is comfortable with blazing hot wood stoves, comfortable chairs, hot drinks, and lots of games. We were so lucky to stumble across this, and certainly will stay there again on our next trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family