“Nice room, reasonable rates.”
Review of Happy Bear Motel

Happy Bear Motel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Killington
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I`m an avid skier and spend much time at Killington. I`ve stayed at many of the hotels there. I choose the Happy Bear as my regular place. Comfortable and close to everything.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank petrerj

Reviewed 27 January 2011

The only good thing about the happy bear motel is the location. the rooms are small and outdated, the breakfast is just cereal milk fruit and juice, and the front desk guy is not very friendly. he yelled at me when I opened the fridge to get milk for the cereal, and when asked if the heat was turned off at night (because I set it on max and the room was cold in the morning) he said "how do you know?". the walls and ceilings are really thin and there is no way to sleep when you hear every word the neighbors say and hear them walking around above you.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kammmli
Reviewed 24 January 2011

What used to be a nice kept place by the previous owners is now a hole in the wall. Now indian owned. they said continental breakfast.. I have seen a better spread at a homeless shelter. no really it was awful they could just as well say bad coffe and stale cereal. we had a room that was like a $10.00 a night stab and stay. the bed hurt my back so bad I couldnt sleep. kids were partying untill 3:00am when we had to be up by 7:00 to get out on the mountain eairly. NO HOT WATER!!!! NONE!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank dexter78
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I must say that all the "positive" remarks left on this blog for Happy Bear were either a false concoction or written by folk(s) who have NEVER experienced a quality stay away from home.

I can best describe the experience as a stay in a college fraternity house, you know the old decrepit homes that are rundown with those repulsive, omnipresent smells and sounds. Funk & belligerence CONSUMED the atmosphere. I am typically very laidback but I feel obligated to forewarn travelers that this GRIZZLY BEAR is not at all worth your money. The tissue paper walls are your nemesis to any type of rest, my stay at the GNARLY BEAR was the first time I have ever felt the need to call police to the scene.

If your in the mood to do keg stands and wake up wondering where the hell you are, and what the smells so horrible.... by all means stay at the "Happy" Bear....

If you value a place to go "home" on vacation to feel clean and get rested.... invest wisely ELSEWHERE!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank trixiekitty
Reviewed 9 January 2011

At all costs: DO NOT STAY HERE. You are greeted by an office that REEKS of moth balls, so much so that it’s hard to stay in there for more than a minute before you find yourself internally begging the attendant to just hurry up. Finally, checked in and smelling like moth repellant, we enter our assigned room. There are no words to adequately describe the terrible smell of that room. A vomit-inducing mixture of zoo and industrial chemicals is the best we can come up with. Our eyes were immediately watering and anything above swallow breathing seemed life threatening. After 1 minute, we realized we would rather sleep in a chair lift than in this room. We requested and got another room and opened the door to be greeted with the smell of feet, which was gross but decidedly better than the first room. Everything in the room looks old, dark and dirty. The walls are paper thin, which was convenient later when a drunken argument raged between guests in both adjoining rooms for over an hour beginning at 3:00 am, complete with door slamming, cussing, crying and screaming. Sleeping through this being out of the question, we called down to the office repeatedly and each time there was no answer. Over an hour later, the owner finally showed up and 30 more minutes later the loudest of the drunken idiots left, but his friends that remained felt compelled to recap the drama until 5 a.m. Then they got up at 8 a.m. and started all over. That morning, I woke up to find a huge swollen and puffy area under my left eye. Was it because of the filthy pillow? Not sure, but I would take that bet. The owners were barely apologetic the next day when we inquired if the people on either side of us were checking out or whether we would again have to move.
The bathroom was nasty, never updated and the shower curtain looked like a repurposed, depression-age bed sheet. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner, as none is provided. We also hope that you don’t like consistent water temperature when you shower, because anytime someone else in the motel flushes, the water will violently fluctuate to frigid Antarctic water.
Now, they say there is a complimentary breakfast here but we are not sure if anyone takes them up on this. Primarily because this said breakfast is served in the office, which as you will recall REEKS like moth balls. We are fairly certain that if you attempted to eat the cheerios they would taste like moth balls. The milk for the cereal is also served out of an old coffee pot, as is the orange juice, because that’s not disgusting at all.
There are no amenities at the motel, so although it’s one of the cheaper places to stay in Killington, you can pay a little more somewhere else and get SUCH a better deal.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank GoHeath
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Very nice, clean and quite place. It has excellent view. Very friendly staff. VERY reasonably priced for being in a prime location. The location is excellent with ski slopes very near by and eating place right across the street. I went there with my wife and 7 month old son. We stayed there for 4 days and had a great time. HIGHLY recommend this one.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank BhagatP
Reviewed 28 September 2010

My Husband and I recently spent a week at the Happy Bear Motel and had a wonderful experience. It was our first time visiting Killington and it most definitely won't be our last! The town is beautiful, surrounded by mountains. Don’t mind the name Motel because this is nothing like a cheap motel. Our room was really clean and the bed was actually comfortable. We booked our trip directly by calling the motel and have found both their rates and service to be excellent. We would highly recommend Killington’s Happy Bear Motel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killington
The Mountain Inn
#3 of 13 in Killington
Summit Lodge & Resort
Summit Lodge & Resort
#2 of 13 in Killington

Been to Happy Bear Motel? Share your experiences!