“The real scoop on Chalet Killington”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chalet Killington

Chalet Killington
A TripAdvisor Member
“The real scoop on Chalet Killington”
Reviewed 1 February 2006

I've been staying at the Chalet Killington every year for almost ten years now. Yes, it's true that it's more on the plain vanilla side of inns. It has rooms with comfortable beds, hot showers, good food, cozy fireplace and extremely accommodating staff. So when I hear that people speaking poorly of Chalet Killington, it's because they expect way too much. Your in Vermont to Ski, hike, and take in the fresh air and beautiful scenery. If your going to stay in your room and watch TV all day ( which you could do at home ) then no, this place is not for you. So don't complain that the bathroom has a mismatched tile or that the curtains don't coincide with the wall paper. You should be coming back to your room, exhausted from a day out doors. In short, I love the place. It has good food, great people and comes at a bargain. If your a pansy and need accommodations that come with Waldorf prices then you need to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bryn Mawr, PA
Reviewed 18 October 2005

I liked this place and the price was right. Paid $75 a night for 2 nights in room 14. The place was clean and the staff beyond friendly. Don't expect bell service or things you find when traveling for business. This place is laid back and caters to a ski crowd (of course). The restaurant was not yet open for the ski season, so I cannot comment on it. The outdoor pool was heated and still open! I did not use it, but it was nice that it was available. There is a hot tub and a game room in the basement. Again, I did not use them, but others in my group gave positive reviews. The fireside living room is great, with its "conversation pit". Breakfast consisted of coffee, orange juice and home-made muffins in the lobby. There is a restaurant (Peppers) about a 1/16th of a mile away (30 second walk) if you want something more substantial for breakfast. There are other restaurants within easy walking distance, but I don't know if they serve breakfast or not.

Dave, Angela and Vanessa (and the new kid whose name I did not catch) are wonderful. I was there as part of a group of people in town for a wedding. The bride's family has close ties to the Inn. Maybe we got extra friendly service because of that, but the place seems to have considerable repeat business, so I don't really think that was the only reason.

Make sure you are aware what kind of place this is before you book. There are no phones in the rooms. No elevators. (I think the Inn has 3 stories. We stayed on the 2nd floor). Everyone had brought cell phones so we did not need telephones. I lugged my suitcase to the 2nd floor, but if I had asked, someone on staff would have helped, so this was no problem at all. The beds were comfortable and the place was clean, clean, clean. Hair dryers and a table top ironing board are available by asking at the front desk. The rooms are equipped with phones and radios and we had a nice gift bag in the room waiting for us when we arrived.

If I had a complaint, it was that it rained the whole time we were there and I hesitate to blame this on the Inn. ;-)

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank CarolAnnBrynMawr
Reviewed 1 August 2005

We had stayed at the Chalet Killington before, honestly because we liked the staff not the hotel. What a difference on our last visit. They have done a major amount of work on the place. They were even finishing up a new pool in July. If you have been there before and thought it was so-so, give it another try. Everyone's favorite desk girl has been hard at work. Good job girl!

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
southampton uk
Reviewed 2 April 2005

After arriving at the chalet killington having just completed a 14 hour door to door journey from the south coast of england, my initial impression was that the hotel was very basic. after a good nights kip and a few hours spent in the building the next day i started to realise how nice the place was. it is a basic budget accomodation but the staff could not have been friendlier, the place was very clean and comfortable, and sitting around the open fire with a cold beer after a knackering day on the slopes was perfect. the hotel has a very warm laid back atmosphere, a cheap bar, good food and a very hot hot tub, what more could you want at this price. people who have slagged this hotel off in previous reveiws obviously expected far too much as it says in all brochures its a budget accomodation, but it is very relaxing and the atmosphere around the place makes up for that by a long long way. all you moany gits of who most are american might i add, should not be so damn tight and pay for a five star if thats what you want. i loved this place and would stay again, well done to all the staff at this family run place for makin it a great trip !!!!

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank Andy F
Reviewed 25 January 2005

My son and I just spent three nights at the Chalet Killington on Jan. 17-20th, 2005. The stay was very nice. The rooms where clean, plenty of nice, big pillows and the bathroom very accommodating. The hot tub was great and clean. The recreation room was a pleasant extra for us to challenge each other at ping pong and pool. The Baja Burrito was a very nice bar and restaurant located in the lodge for your beverages in the evening or the free breakfast in the morning. I will definitely return to this lodge the next time I go to Killington.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pensacola, FL
Reviewed 24 March 2004

I had made my reservations for the Chalet Killington back in September 2003, so imagine my dismay when, two weeks before my mid-March vacation, I stumbled on this review page and read the mostly negative reviews of the establishment. Now, imagine my relief when I arrived at the Chalet and found none of the poor conditions I'd read about! True, the place is not fancy--if what you're looking for is a stay in luxurious surroundings, the Chalet is not for you. However, if like me, you want a clean, comfortable, affordable place to use as home base for a ski trip, the Chalet is a good choice. It's conveniently located to the slopes and other businesses with ample parking; the beds were comfortable (mine did not have the infamous one-inch-thick pillows); the free breakfast was a real breakfast with pancakes, omelets, eggs, bacon or sausage, etc.; and the staff, from housekeeping on up to management, were as friendly and helpful as you could wish. I didn't use the hot tub because I forgot my bathing suit, but I noticed lots of other guests using it, so I guess it was also satisfactory.

A word about security: as a woman traveling alone I have to be alert to whether or not a place feels safe to me, and I felt perfectly at ease here. I could sleep at night or go off during the day and not worry that myself or my belongings were in danger.

The bathroom was clean, in good repair, and well-stocked with towels, which were replenished daily.

On the negative side, the walls are a bit thin and the building is fairly old, so you hear some creaks and thumps, and noise from the other guests. I am not bothered by a little noise, but those who are ultra-sensitive about such things may be happier elsewhere.

I don't have kids, and there weren't many there during my six-day stay, but there was a large gameroom downstairs that kids would probably enjoy hanging out in.

All in all, I had a great time, and I recommend the Chalet Killington.
I'd stay there again!

4 Thank SkiBird
Reviewed 3 February 2004

Stayed a few times and eventually stopped due to its run down condition.The place needs to be completely renovated or inform unsuspecting guests the poor conditions that exist. They transformed the cosy apres ski bar into the tackiest mexican restaurant you can find with overpriced disgusting food.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member