“This place is horrible”

Hillside Inn at Killington
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Killington
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed February 10th, 2012 for 2 nights with some girlfriends for a ski weekend. We had two rooms right next to each other. I could hear every word my friends in the next room were saying. One of my girlfriends found pubic hair on her pillow. They did bring her a new one, but it was a disgusting experience.
There was some StudentCity group there taking up like 20 rooms. These students kept us up until 6am one of the nights! They were outside on the porch/deck area talking, drinking, in and out of rooms, playing beer pong, fighting, etc. It was absolutely ridiculous. We complained, we heard that others complained as well, but nothing was done. I was close to calling the police but decided against it because I was hopeful it would die down at some point. And it did...at 6AM. None of us got sleep, even with the ear-plugs I gave out to my friends and the sound machine apps we were using on our phones. This made getting out on the slopes bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning quite difficult.
I talked to the manager's wife the next day and told her I would be calling the police if it happened again that night. I asked her how many from this group were staying, and she said about 50 or students. Hmm...50 students, 20 rooms. This led me to wonder if they charged 10 of the rooms the 3rd person charge that they made my group pay. You know, the quiet group who was repectful and did not keep the entire hotel up all night. Clearly, the management was catering to this large group and were making no effort to ensure a quality stay for their other "valued" guests. The manager's wife was also EXTREMELY rude during check-in. Like, eye roll rude when you ask about the shuttle to the mountain. Also, rude in the way that she gives you that up and down once-over looks and asks; am I SURE I don't have anyone else that I am going to be sneaking into the room? Listen lady, I'm 30 years old and I can afford the $15 extra person fee, don't offend me by using the word sneak eiter. Ugh. She definitely has some major trust issues, and a MAJOR sense of entitlement.
The students were also smoking marijuana in their rooms because the smell wafted up into our rooms. We complained but nothing happened.
This place is a complete joke. A waiter at a nearby restaurant laughed when we told him where we were staying. NEVER AGAIN. Seriously don't waste your money. It is not within walking distance to anything and the cabs are hard to get during the busy season.

Room Tip: Rooms NOT at the HillSide Inn are your best bet
3  Thank boston_travelah29

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We checked out rooms and rates at three different motels on this highly commercial and heavilyt travelled strip and found the Hillside to be the least expensive, by $15-30$.
The quite plain rooms were the same as others that we had seen.
While the place is certainly not especially attractive at all, the room was of a decent size as was the bathroom. and both were quite clean

Room Tip: Three floor property with no elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ScottinTaghkanic
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The room at hillside was very spacious and roomy.was clean and warm ,i was surprised to find that they have radiant floor heat and was very comfortable.I didnt try the continental breakfast we had breakfast at the pancake house just up the street.
Yes the management needs to look into fixing the parking problem but overall if you want a place to sleep after skiing and bar hopping then you cant get any better for the price

2  Thank jay f
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had a nice stay at this property. There were two very rude large groups who were loud through the night. The staff really did a great job keeping everyone quiet. The front desk manager looked very tired the next morning! The most important thing for me is clean...and I thought everything was very clean. I liked the set up with the cabinet in room to store items. Free wifi too. Finally, breakfast was fine. They had make your own waffles, toast, bagels, coffee, juice, cereal and bananas. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this property again, especially for price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ctscoutmom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Room was nice and warm when we arrived. We were put on the third floor which was a bit of a hike with no elevator. Beds were a little hard, could have used bigger pillows or just a few more. Bathroom set up was different, the toilet was separate from the shower/sink area. Shower did not have a door just a curtain and another curtain to separate from the sink area. The only downfall was the parking, definitely was an issue on Friday night (which was the first day of school vacation). We came back late and ended up parking a little ways from our room. Other than that the room was pretty clean and in fairly good shape. A nice hotel if you are a college or young student looking to stay close to Killington Mountain.

1  Thank Spike8710
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during the foliage.
It is surrounded by picturesque forest and mountains yet it’s still conveniently located.
This is not a fancy place, but the room was clean with lot of storage space and a small kitchenette area. The layout of the room is a bit odd as there is a toilet type room and a separate sink and shower area with no door.
The reception area was not very impressive / inviting, but does that really matter?
I would say that the only issues one may have are about parking space and number of stairs you need to walk to get to your room if you are on the second floor.
Overall we were pleased with our stay and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karo_Bart
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This is not the ski lodge seen in the movie "White Christmas" but it was clean and inexpensive. They must get a lot of customers who sneak in extra overnighters, because they stopped and asked us several times how many people were staying in our room. The low points are the skimpy breakfast, the non-existent free coffee in the lobby, and the closet-sized lobby. The good points are that it is warm, surrounded by lovely forest, free shuttle to restaurants, easy pizza deliveries, close to mountain, and kitchenette with fridge, microwave, coffee maker. It was one of the most reasonably-priced motels we found for Christmas week, and despite being full, it was fairly quiet. It also has lots of convenient parking, and comfortable beds. What else do you need for a ski vacation!

Room Tip: Ground level rooms (as opposed to their second or third level rooms) makes it easier when carrying...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ripoata
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killington
Cascades Lodge Killington
#4 of 13 in Killington
Summit Lodge & Resort
Summit Lodge & Resort
#3 of 13 in Killington

Been to Hillside Inn at Killington? Share your experiences!