“Rustic charm”

The Mill Tavern
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Londonderry
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The atmosphere is wonderful. The food is absolutely delicious. The owner is one of the friendliest I've ever met.
The only sad thing is that we can only eat here during ski season since we come to Londonderry year round.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I met my husband @ The Mill 36 years ago so needless to say it is a very special place to me. They are only open about 10 weeks a year so it is a small window to go there. But I make it a point to get there @ least once if not twice when there open. I love the teriyaki steak. Set in an old mill the place is a museum. Don't miss it if your around when they are open.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

The Mill Tavern is a great place to have a warm and cozy meal during ski season. It's the only time they're open. It's an old relic of a place (formerly a working mill, hence the name) profusely decorated with all sorts of antique tools and parephernalia collected by Ed, the owner, who personally presides over the dining room. Best best: big, juicy prime rib dinner served weekends only.
Some reviewers haven't liked this place and had complaints about service. It's Vermont, things move a little slower here. It's also very rustic, which may turn some people off. But it's definitely worth a try if you're looking for an authentic Vermont evening.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

This place is a southern vermont gem if there ever was one. How many fine dining establishments can say they have been in business at the same location for over 45 years? If you like real man food (i.e. huge steaks with heaping portions of mashed potatoes and veggies) served up in a rustic setting in front of a roaring fire, then this is the place for you. If you want salad with tofu, look elsewhere.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Is it the long winter and cold. Maybe it's the invasion of us 'flat landers' from the big city. I know some local folks can get a little chippy. Whatever. But the bottom line is, I recommend proceeding with caution with this place!! ... I don't get it, I really don't.... Last winter my friends and I visited the Mill Tavern and experienced what I will charitably describe as questionable behavior from the owner (so identified). Upon arrival to a half-empty restaurant, we were informed - up front - that the waitstaff was 'tired' and 'overworked' and that we would need to wait at the bar for awhile. Huh? You're kidding, right? But, my friends, this propreitor was indeed completely serious. And refused to back down. Then, one member of our party became so incensed by the unwelcome overture that he immediately insisted we all leave. Now. But cooler heads prevailed. We then spent the next 25 painful minutes making scurrilous eye contact with the aforementioned owner until he finally seated us. There was no apology. It could have been handled better. But, frankly, it ruined the entire dinning experience and the evening for us ... Perhaps I'm not being objective here? So, fast forward to this winter. We visit the Mill Tavern yet again. OK, we thought, last winter was just an aberration. Surely we picked a bad night - bad timing - and things would and should be different this time around. Wrong. The grizzled looking propreitor , in need of a good shave this time, was as agitated and dismissive as if we just questioned the gastronomic integrity of his chef. The attitude again was: "You'll be seated when I say so. If it's the least bit unpleasant, well too bad". So much for that "customer comes first" experience! We finally sat down and after perusing the menu received a volley of "We're out of that... Just sold the last one of those... Sorry they're not available now!" from the waitress. Mercifully, food FINALLY arrived. And it was OK, nothing to scream about. Frankly, it's hard to screw-up a steak. The bill was more than expected, I guess. .... But, my final recommendation, after two patient visits over two years is: Until they get a more benevolent owner why endure the hassle?

6  Thank Roughouse