“Kind, clean, affordable, perfect!”

The Upper Pass Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Londonderry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking to get away for a few days, and the Upper Pass Lodge proved to be the best possible place to do that!

We found out about the Upper Pass Lodge from Living Social, where we scored a really great deal. It was a low price for a two night stay, and it came with a bottle of wine and a picnic a gratis, so we figured we'd give it a try! We got there at 9 pm, and were greeted by Sharee, who I believe was the manager. She was quick, helpful and polite, and even offered to open the kitchen for us to grab dinner.

The room was very clean and spacious. The decorations are a bit outdated, if you care about that sort of thing, which we do not, but everything was very well taken care of. We upgraded to get a room with a King sized bed and a Jacuzzi tub, which was AWESOME, and super reasonably priced, so do that if you can. The next day we went to breakfast, and Sharee was serving. It was delicious and enormous. I inquired about our picnic, and she informed me that they could have it ready in ten minutes. Wow. (Also, if you're looking for a good hiking spot, Lowell Lake is five minutes down the road and it has a beautiful 3 mile hike and picnic tables to eat at!)

In total, we had three meals from the restaurant, all of which were creative, large, and delicious. My boyfriend is insisting that I especially sing the praises of the spicy maple chicken wings, which were unreal. They have a new dessert on the menu as well--fried noodles with maple syrup and powered sugar, topped with ice cream. Believe me, the diabetic shock is well-worth it.

Overall, we had a fantastic stay. I've worked in the hotel business for six years, and I know what can go wrong, and-nothing-did. The customer service was perfect; Vince was friendly, the chef was great, Sharee was accommodating. They made us feel like VIP the whole time we were there, which was so kind of them given the low price we paid from the start.

I'd give 6 stars if I could! We'll be back soon! :]

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, others do not. Inquire about it!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I discovered this place through Groupon and checked it out through TripAdvisor and saw that it had average reviews, and a few glowing reviews! I checked out the website and saw "Londonderry Vermont Luxury Lodging" at the top of the page near the lodge name and within the description of the facility. One of the pictures showed this grand resort at the base of a mountain so I thought it would be a great place to stay during leaf peeping season. It is also less than 1/2 hour from Manchester Village shopping! So I went for it. When I called to reserve a room, Vincent asked if I wanted to upgrade to a room with a jacuzzi for $12. Sure why not.

So we turned up the access road and came up on the Upper Pass Lodge. The sign was a cover banner, the lodge looks to be in disrepair, the parking lot is nearly empty, and across the street is an abandoned rundown hotel. I went past the lodge to make sure that what I thought was the UPL might be at the end of the road, but no.......I was at the right place! I did not see the nice black and white picture of the lodge I had seen on the website. And certainly, my first impression of this place was NOT a luxury lodge.

My partner and I sat in the car just looking at each other questioning if we should even go in. I pulled out my tablet to check everything again and we were at the right place. There even was a TripAdvisor sticker on the door. Cautiously, we approached the door and went inside. It is dark and somewhat barren. Vince was very pleasant in greeting us, and recalled speaking with me on the phone. My partner walked around checking out the lodge area (which was appropriately represented on the website) and the bar area. No one was around, and it was dark. Vince ran the charges on my card and went to a back room (closing the door behind him) to retrieve my receipt. We were told that the office closes at 9:00 however Vince left his business card and cell phone number on the back so that we could reach him if we needed anything. Apparently, he stays in a room there. All of this was really starting to creep us out. But we just had to check out the room.

The stairs up to room 19 were very steep and high. Open the door......and well......let's just say I wanted to run out immediately! I am going to try and post pictures because I don't think that you will believe what I'm about to write. The room is nearly barren as well. There is a 70's style 3' long blonde dresser with an old TV (not current flat screen) on it. The king size bed is sunken on one side and I could feel the springs. The bedspread is old school and whatever! And the jacuzzi.....well it is approx 2-3 feet to the right of the bed! There is a loose light fixture directly above the jacuzzi. The room was freakishly hot, yes a lot like hell! The bathroom is so outdated and tiny. The carpet.....dirty. The paint on the walls and ceiling is peeling. The window, that we had to open because it was so freakishly hot, is cumbersome and drafty and in disrepair.

I hated it! We did not have a good feeling about this place from the get go, and even feared for our safety. We approached Vince who was very nice and accommodating. He said that he was sorry that the lodge didn't fit our expectations and that he would refund our money. He even made a few suggestions of places that would fit our needs.

I felt that I was greatly mislead by the website, and by others who apparently had a much different experience from us. I suppose that if you were a young skier looking to have fun and party at a lodge near the base of a mountain, this might be awesome. For a family, or these two 50 yr old women, this is not the place!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank CJnLG
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We have been here several times and we love it. We will come back every season. Vince is amazing and super helpful. The food is delicious and the staff is great. I recommend this place to all my friends. Londonderry is a beautiful area.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Upon arrival, Sharee greeted us and checked us in. Room was comfortable with two twin beds which my wife and I found too small and had to sleep separately. Room was clean, with an extra sink in another room with bunk beds for kids if you are a family. Breakfast was satisfactory. Eggs made to order with home fries, bacon and some apple wedges. Coffee and juice. A picnic lunch was provided for the two of us, which was really enough for four people. It contained our choice of roast beef o r chicken sandwich, two containers of fresh vegetable pasta salad, and two containers of fresh fruit salad. Silverware, and cotton napkins, all packed in a chilled ice pack bag. We did lose our key card and found it strange that there was no replacement. The gentleman at the bar got us in with his card, problem temporarily solved. All and all a great place with wonderful staff managed by Vince.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on bottom floor with rear deck.
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I wondered why it was cheap.. but I had room 16 with my gf and we roasted sat night... turned heat down but nothing. Next day we left window open and when we returned sun night like 9pm the room was still roasting. We went to the bar and the bar tender said that room is having issues and is either extreme hot or cold.. I was like thanks for telling us this when we checked in... I did not come to vermont to roast! I think this is lousy since they knew about it. All the guy gave us was a baby fan... wow. Glad I was not paying for this room. No hair dryer in room either. The breakfast was the worst of the three mornings I had in VT. The home fries tasted like french fries.. should be nice fresh cut potatoes like most dinersetc. have. The bacon was a joke... it was 1.5 pieces just broken in half...wow. The place sure does need more help too.. we stood at checkin for 10 mins before we found bartender and he got the owner. I'm not a fan and do not plan on ever returning here and already told friends to avoid a place that gave us cheap room with busted heating system.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Aircraft C
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I just stayed at the Upper Pass Lodge and we had the two bedroom suite, it was wonderful. Our rooms had two beds in a room near the bathroom and the other bedroom had a sink in it, which was very convenient. The beds were a bit hard but I didn't wake up with a back ache, so that was good.
Vince puts out complimentary coffee and finger size bites of muffins in the morning for the guests. It was right next to Magic Mountain.

Room Tip: Our room with the two bedrooms was #10, it is however on the second floor. There is a balcony that...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here four days last week and really enjoyed our time here. All the other reviews are pretty much on the money. Vince, the manager, is worth all the raves he's gotten, but we found that all the other employees we came across are terrific also. Everyone multi-tasks and does what they can to help each other and to accommodate the guests. The current ownership is less than one year old and it seems every effort is being made to make this a successful venture--I certainly hope so, since we plan on staying here any time we're in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Londonderry
Grafton Inn
#2 of 3 in Londonderry
Swiss Inn
Swiss Inn
#3 of 3 in Londonderry

Been to The Upper Pass Lodge? Share your experiences!