“Great place!!! Say hello to Vinny!!!”

The Upper Pass Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Londonderry B&B and Inns
“Great place!!! Say hello to Vinny!!!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. This may not be the Ritz or the upscale ski lodge but what made up for it was the customer service. Vinny was the manager and he just made our trip special. He makes you feel at home and like your family. He goes out of his way to make your trip nice and man foes the guy work hard. I thought he never slept the 3 days we were there. Rooms are a little outdated but clean and fine for a few days. The breakfast at the hotel was excellent. Great omelets and pancakes with real maple syrup and good coffee. Definitely recommend. Ordered room service one night for dinner and waited a while but wow what a delicious burger. If looking for a nice place to stay and enjoy Vermont stay here and say hi to Vinny!!!!

Stayed November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I had a phenomenal experience at the Upper Pass Lodge! Vince, the owner, was so great and friendly! We stayed in a room that had a comfy King size bed with a jacuzzi in the room. Breakfast was luckily included in our package, for if it was not, we would've spent our entire allowance right then and there! Everything was fresh, and the staff could not have brought a more friendly, and local, feel to the atmosphere. I cannot wait to return and highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a fantastic getaway!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburg, Virginia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I were planning a trip to New England for fall foliage. We weren't sure where to stay and saw a groupon for this place. It was our anniversary so we gave it shot. The groupon unfortunately was for two beds but when we got there Vince, the general manager was able to bump us to a King bed with a jacuzzi tub. This place was charming on so many levels and a great central spot for other outings. Our room was clean and cozy. It was incredibly hot at first because there is no ac but once the windows were opened everything normalized. We had to leave early due to a work problem, but being the gracious host, Vince packed us a wonderful picnic lunch of roast beef sandwiches, pasta salad, and fruit. We were also given a bottle of local wine. I would recommend this to anyone that wants to visit the area.

Room Tip: Since there is no ac in the rooms, if you are going at a time when it could possibly be warm take a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Warwick, RI
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed 2 nights at the lodge with my girlfriend and we were so impressed. Great scenery and close to several ski mountains.. Would absolutely go back again. The room was spacious and very clean. The service was unbelievable! Vince the general manager greeted us with a bottle of local Vermont wine and made our stay an absolute pleasure. Great breakfast and the restaurant in the lodge was very good. There is also the resident puppy "brico" who is absolutely adorable. Needless to say we did not know what to expect and left wanting to come back. Truly a great all around experience!

• Stayed October 2013
Westchester, Illinois
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I had a last minute emergency at my home in the area and needed a quick place to stay. Compared to to some of the other motels in the immediate vicinity, this seemed like the nicest one. Also, I figured it might be worth it to pay the extra $20-30 for a nicer hotel with a few more services, pool, etc. Anyway, called the hotel... no answer to the phone. Drove by around 8:00 PM... doors locked. Called again... no answer. Long story short, if this is how hard it is to get a room, God only knows what it is like once they actually get your money. Ended up going somewhere else for the night!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Will S
Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking to get away for a few days, and the Upper Pass Lodge proved to be the best possible place to do that!

We found out about the Upper Pass Lodge from Living Social, where we scored a really great deal. It was a low price for a two night stay, and it came with a bottle of wine and a picnic a gratis, so we figured we'd give it a try! We got there at 9 pm, and were greeted by Sharee, who I believe was the manager. She was quick, helpful and polite, and even offered to open the kitchen for us to grab dinner.

The room was very clean and spacious. The decorations are a bit outdated, if you care about that sort of thing, which we do not, but everything was very well taken care of. We upgraded to get a room with a King sized bed and a Jacuzzi tub, which was AWESOME, and super reasonably priced, so do that if you can. The next day we went to breakfast, and Sharee was serving. It was delicious and enormous. I inquired about our picnic, and she informed me that they could have it ready in ten minutes. Wow. (Also, if you're looking for a good hiking spot, Lowell Lake is five minutes down the road and it has a beautiful 3 mile hike and picnic tables to eat at!)

In total, we had three meals from the restaurant, all of which were creative, large, and delicious. My boyfriend is insisting that I especially sing the praises of the spicy maple chicken wings, which were unreal. They have a new dessert on the menu as well--fried noodles with maple syrup and powered sugar, topped with ice cream. Believe me, the diabetic shock is well-worth it.

Overall, we had a fantastic stay. I've worked in the hotel business for six years, and I know what can go wrong, and-nothing-did. The customer service was perfect; Vince was friendly, the chef was great, Sharee was accommodating. They made us feel like VIP the whole time we were there, which was so kind of them given the low price we paid from the start.

I'd give 6 stars if I could! We'll be back soon! :]

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, others do not. Inquire about it!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I discovered this place through Groupon and checked it out through TripAdvisor and saw that it had average reviews, and a few glowing reviews! I checked out the website and saw "Londonderry Vermont Luxury Lodging" at the top of the page near the lodge name and within the description of the facility. One of the pictures showed this grand resort at the base of a mountain so I thought it would be a great place to stay during leaf peeping season. It is also less than 1/2 hour from Manchester Village shopping! So I went for it. When I called to reserve a room, Vincent asked if I wanted to upgrade to a room with a jacuzzi for $12. Sure why not.

So we turned up the access road and came up on the Upper Pass Lodge. The sign was a cover banner, the lodge looks to be in disrepair, the parking lot is nearly empty, and across the street is an abandoned rundown hotel. I went past the lodge to make sure that what I thought was the UPL might be at the end of the road, but no.......I was at the right place! I did not see the nice black and white picture of the lodge I had seen on the website. And certainly, my first impression of this place was NOT a luxury lodge.

My partner and I sat in the car just looking at each other questioning if we should even go in. I pulled out my tablet to check everything again and we were at the right place. There even was a TripAdvisor sticker on the door. Cautiously, we approached the door and went inside. It is dark and somewhat barren. Vince was very pleasant in greeting us, and recalled speaking with me on the phone. My partner walked around checking out the lodge area (which was appropriately represented on the website) and the bar area. No one was around, and it was dark. Vince ran the charges on my card and went to a back room (closing the door behind him) to retrieve my receipt. We were told that the office closes at 9:00 however Vince left his business card and cell phone number on the back so that we could reach him if we needed anything. Apparently, he stays in a room there. All of this was really starting to creep us out. But we just had to check out the room.

The stairs up to room 19 were very steep and high. Open the door......and well......let's just say I wanted to run out immediately! I am going to try and post pictures because I don't think that you will believe what I'm about to write. The room is nearly barren as well. There is a 70's style 3' long blonde dresser with an old TV (not current flat screen) on it. The king size bed is sunken on one side and I could feel the springs. The bedspread is old school and whatever! And the jacuzzi.....well it is approx 2-3 feet to the right of the bed! There is a loose light fixture directly above the jacuzzi. The room was freakishly hot, yes a lot like hell! The bathroom is so outdated and tiny. The carpet.....dirty. The paint on the walls and ceiling is peeling. The window, that we had to open because it was so freakishly hot, is cumbersome and drafty and in disrepair.

I hated it! We did not have a good feeling about this place from the get go, and even feared for our safety. We approached Vince who was very nice and accommodating. He said that he was sorry that the lodge didn't fit our expectations and that he would refund our money. He even made a few suggestions of places that would fit our needs.

I felt that I was greatly mislead by the website, and by others who apparently had a much different experience from us. I suppose that if you were a young skier looking to have fun and party at a lodge near the base of a mountain, this might be awesome. For a family, or these two 50 yr old women, this is not the place!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank CJnLG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Londonderry
Manchester View
#2 of 3 in Londonderry
Swiss Inn
Swiss Inn
#3 of 3 in Londonderry

Been to The Upper Pass Lodge? Share your experiences!