“Best Horseback Riding in forty years!”

Mountain View Horseback Adventures at the Powers Farm
Reviewed 14 October 2008

The weather was SOOOOOOO beautiful camping this weekend that a friend and I embarked on an adventure to Mountain View Horseback Adventures at the Powers Farm, Waterford (St. Johnsbury), VT. A local had told us about it (always ask the locals). It was not difficult to find but you have to know where to look.

What a beautiful place with horses everywhere: large and small. Some looked like you might see them run the Kentucky Derby and others, though a little less sleek had a beauty all their own. Kind, friendly extremely helpful but not overbearing proprietors were patient with a couple of forty-somethings with limited riding experience.

The horses were as absolutely wonderful, as well they were beautiful! At other riding establishments I've asked for a horse appropriate to my experience level and found myself astride a horse with one hoof in the grave - feeling guilty that I had disturbed it. My horse, Spike was smart and happy, sweet and obedient. I know in my heart that he was actually pleased to ride the trail with this Bostonian. He went ‘left’ and "right" when I tugged. "Whoa" was truly effective, as was "Giddy-up." Riding Spike was a highlight of the year for me. He didn’t blindly follow the horses in front – like ‘stop and go’ traffic at home; he knew where he was supposed to go but let me tell him when, and how. The ride was extraordinary.

And the views. Whew! The farm is on a hillside overlooking the Connecticut River. Riding in the woods I felt like a cross between Billy Crystal and Doris Day... loosing myself in the moment and then without warning a panoramic view that knocked my socks off. My only regret is that we only went for such a short ride. I'm looking forward to next year already.

5  Thank clariedarieboston