“Good drinks, decent food, terrible hostess”
Review of Cool Moose Cafe - CLOSED

Cool Moose Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: (802) 975-0041. Former restaurant in this location was Archie's Prime Time Steak House. Cool Moose Cafe opened in November 2009. Awful service, bland food.
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We decided to try this place after cancelling our reservations for Panarello's (see my review on that debacle). We were told the wait was about an hour, so we (a party of 6) decided to just hang out at the bar. I could not believe how the hostess was treating the people. She yelled at my wife for going to the bar without notifying her (we were all already situated at the bar...she was returning from the bathroom). Another group got yelled at after having been seated by a waitress at a hightop in the bar area. Evidently there was another group waiting on that table. We ended up eating at the bar, and despite being the only bartendar servicing the bar and the wait staff, we got great service at the bar (side note: my friend overheard the rude hostess downplay how busy the bar was to whom I imagine was the manager, and my friend chimed in with how hard the bartendar was working, and he jumped behind the bar). Margaritas were excellent. Food ran the gamit...seared ahi tuna was very good, as were the wings and hummus apps. Burger was OK. My friend did the "stoned steak" (meat served cooking on a hot stone) and he enjoyed it. One other note...check came to a very reasonable $240, so we left $300, and decided on another round. You'd think that after leaving a 25% tip, you might get a buyback...I guess not. That said, we'd go back to hang out at the bar.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

prob would not go back there anytime soon. service was not that great..

Reviewed 1 January 2012

my wife and i stopped on friday dec.29 and i ordered the pulled pork sandwich and she ordered the fish sandwich.all the food had a weird taste to it .my wife ate nothing and did not want to re order.i had a few bites and a pierogi washed down with a beer.
starting the next two days i could barely leave the bathroom.....the worst diarrea and cramps i have ever had.never again.....

1  Thank john s
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Good food. Attentive staff. Civic minded owner. Attention to individual dietary needs.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Okay, the notion of a Nigerian 1500 degree hot rock - no kidding, they have to put "don't lick the hot rock" on the menu! - seemed gimmicky and for the tourists, but it was interesting and the food was quite good. They, like Ascutney, don't know the meaning of putting bread on the table, but at least the service here was outstanding.

The wings were good (the hot ones weren't hot) but the garlic bread (we had to buy bread) had no garlic. I guess they are appealing to the tourists.

So the food arrives and sure enough, each person gets a VERY hot flat rock, upon which their food is cooking. The steak was deemed good, as was the swordfish, and the shrimp were pretty good. There was a salad included, and fries, so that was good.

But here's my question - if they have to put "don't lick the hot rock" on the menu, have they not been hit with a lawsuit by now? At the very least, they must worry about the wait staff burning themselves, or the tables catching fire (the tabletops were very hot when the food was removed)!

A cute gimmick, but not a place to which I'd return.