“Excellent dining experience”

The Downtown Grocery
Ranked #3 of 45 Restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Naples, Florida
“Excellent dining experience”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

When we first walked into Downtown Grocery, I was a bit grumpy. It was crowded and noisy. Some things I fancied to eat were marked off the board. However, it didn't take long to have that grumpy feeling replaced by delight. I went in looking for comfort food. I was pushed off that spot, and was happier for it! On the menu, the prices seemed high, but the Mountain Throwdown was a great deal. So, every pre-conception I had was blown away. Instead I was pushed to try some new things, and was all the better for it. Our server, Ben, enhanced the experience. Not only was he attentive and friendly, but he steered us through the menu. We wouldn't call it dinner, but rather a dining adventure.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank skyhoosier

Boston
“Mountain Throwdown a huge hit”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife said after leaving Downtown Grocery: "That was the best meal I ever had." I replied: I am so thrilled they offer great vegetarian options along with their usual fare. We had two different three course meals off their set menu and a couple of Martini specials. The portions were just right . The wait staff are very friendly and the hostess was very courteous. We are looking forward to more great meals during the Okemo ski season.

• Visited July 2014
montreal
“Fresh delicious food and amazing service !!!!!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This is one if the best restaurants I have ever experienced. When you walk into this rustic quaint restaurant, you are immediately greeted by friendly staff. The specials of the day are written on a blackboard in the entrance of the restaurant which is then coupled with their regular menu. We began with the heirloom tomato salad with ricotta, the steamers on special, and the chilled tomato soup with grilled shrimp. Each dish was made with the freshest ingredients and incredibly tasty. The soup had a real kick to it.... Yummy !!! For our mains we had the blackened bluefish ( which was on the blackboard ), the hamburger, and the fried shrimp. The hamburger was made out of fresh meat that they butchered and ground themselves. It was accompanied by the string fries that were crisp and chive flavored. The shrimp were in a light batter that are slightly spicy. The bluefish was hearty and extremely tasty. It was blackened but not peppery. The "piece du resistance" was the dessert . It is called the "all night breakfast". It consists of a waffle/bread pudding topped with bacon flavored ice cream and maple syrup. Admittedly, I was doubtful that a bacon dessert would float my boat but it was amazing !!!!!! This restaurant does not disappoint and exceeded all my expectations!

“Overpriced”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We thought the menu and prices were equivalent to Ny city prices unfortunately your not in ny city. My daughter is a vegetarian there wasn't anything on the menu but, desert for her. It was crowded, hit and quite frankly the food was mediocre

• Visited September 2013
Connecticut
“Incredible! I never expected it would have been THAT good!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Pulling up to The Downtown Grocery you think "Oh, how quaint! This should be a nice meal." Nice doesn't even begin to cover it! From the minute you come in you're greeted with the most wonderful sights, sounds and SMELLS!!

My husband and I were a little early, but our table was ready and we were seated very quickly. Abby came over to explain the specials board and also introduce us to their featured wines. We opted for cocktails and really enjoyed the ones we picked (tequila mockingbird was awesome)!

The meal began with homemade potato rolls and herb butter. I love that the butter was served room-temp. I just hate mangling lovely bread with ice cold butter! This was lovely!

For our meals, I choose the prix fix and my husband went a la carte. He started with the pork belly and I had the flatbread (both pictured). These were amazing! I had to stop halfway through the flatbread so that I would be sure to have room for the entree.

We both got the same entree - Chicken and duck confit hash with duck fat roasted potatoes, applewood smoked onions, local arugula, poached egg, parmesan. **drool** I seriously contemplated licking the bowl. It was incredible!

My prix fix came with a dessert, but by then I was way too full. I took the donuts home and my husband enjoyed them a little while later.

The waitstaff was very attentive and they all worked really well as a team.

The meal was so good we opted to "buy the kitchen a round of drinks" - which is actually an item on the menu. I love this idea! Especially after working in kitchens for a while, I really liked this touch.

The ONLY downside to our meal, and this is getting nitpicky, was the large party of gentlemen seated right next to us. It was clear that they just got back from a day of golfing and had many stories they needed to tell each other very loudly. It really wasn't all that bad, but it was a little hard to hold a conversation at times. Absolutely not the restaurant's fault, though.

We will definitely be back the next time we're in Ludlow!

• Visited July 2014