“Revolutionary Health Retreat by Geleen”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ludlow
Green Mountain at Fox Run
Glen Gardner, New Jersey
“Revolutionary Health Retreat by Geleen”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Imagine a place where women do not judge each other or themselves by the size of their pants? Imagine eating delicious, chef-prepared meals with no thoughts of calories or writing down everything you eat. Imagine being lovingly introduced to an old friend that has been with you always, even though your comments have been harsh and hateful- your body.
Fox Run at Green Mountain, located in lovely Ludlow, Vermont, is the perfect health retreat for women who wish to heal from the must-be-thin culture and embark on a revolutionary path to better health and fitness.
Whatever your fitness level or whatever your size, the incredible and gifted staff helps you to work at your own pace, and learn how to have loving eyes. The magic ingredient is every lady who comes here from all over the world-to laugh and cry and sweat together. With hotel-like accomodations, lots of fitness classes and activities to choose from, and gourmet menus, this is a vacation-style health retreat that every woman deserves. Never again will you speak of pounds lost, it's what you gain that's worth the cost.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side of the building have the gorgeous view of Okemo Mountain.
2 Thank Geleen D
ahwayler, Owner at Green Mountain at Fox Run, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thanks so much for your comments, Geleen.

Couples
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 April 2013

If you're thinking about going to Green Mountain, go! The experience is an incredibly unique and special one. I spent 4 weeks there and it is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. It was a month to reflect, disconnect and most importantly, heal my body and mind. This program is different from any other, and it makes so much sense. They had me at "non diet approach" :) I was really nervous about going alone, not knowing anyone or exactly how the program worked. But, once I got there I felt so welcomed and shared the experience with some incredible women, many of whom I remain friends with. Most of the participants came alone and we all instantly bonded. The staff was incredible, they care about each participant and have so much knowledge to share. The food is delicious, fresh, healthy and I still crave it! I never went hungry, the portions were perfect. There was really too much to my experience there to speak to all of it here, but the one thing I can say is, GO! It will probably change your life.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Thanks for your insights. We're glad you had a special experience at Green Mountain

Akron, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Green Mountain at Fox Run is a wonderful place to meet other women who struggle with weight and eating issues. I’ve had 3 different stays there and each time I learn more and more about myself. The facilities are simple and clean. The housekeeping and kitchen staff work hard to make sure that guests have everything they need and that meals are prepared the way clients like them. The staff go above and beyond to make exceptions and adjustments for guests.

The program is divided into 3 main parts - - nutrition, fitness and behavior. The classes are educational and the staff who teach are exceptionally knowledgeable in their fields and make classes fun. The fitness classes are as intense as you make them. They teach modifications for those who have orthopedic issues. In all 3 of my stays I found myself feeling different after about 2 days of the program. I felt new muscles, my body felt good on the nutritional food, I started sleeping better, and I had more energy than I had had in months. My favorite fitness classes were the aquatics, strength training and tai chi.

There’s a reason that Green Mountain at Fox Run has been in business for 40 years. The mindfulness approach to life is the only way that works. I cringe when I hear the word “diet” and have learned to filter out society’s messages about weight. If you’re looking for a luxury spa with lots of spa amentities, go somewhere else. If you’re looking to learn more about yourself and your habits... if you’re looking for a safe place to work on personal issues…. If you’re looking for education about nutrition, fitness and behavior….. Green Mountain at Fox Run is the place for you!!

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank BDTLRT
Thanks for taking the time to review Green Mountain. Hope to see you a fourth time!

Richmond, Vermont
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I am a health care provider who spent one day at Green Mountain at Fox Run as a guest of one of the staff members. I was very impressed with the program. It is evidence-based and comprehensive. Excellent information on diet, nutrition and exercise are provided, but the real focus is on long-term, sustainable change that comes from within.

As a health care provider, I've spent countless hours telling people that they need to lose weight and listing the the dire consequences they'll face if they don't. Listening to the Green Mountain at Fox Run participants' stories reminded me that weight is so much more than, "calories in, calories out." Weight is the result of a complex interplay of physical, emotional and social factors. The staff at Green Mountain at Fox Run understand that and that is why this program stands out. They approach weight from a holistic, person-centered perspective. The participants are guided to look at whys, whens, hows of their particular eating and exercising patterns and to come up with strategies to create lasting health and well-being.

The facilities are not plush, but they are very comfortable and well-maintained. The food is ample and really delicious. I was even able to get a vegetarian dinner! The staff are friendly, professional, and highly competent.

I will definitely recommend this program to patients.

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DiVi0547
ahwayler, Owner at Green Mountain at Fox Run, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
We appreciate your review and thanks for the recommendations.
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Now i bet you're thinking that this an odd title for a review. But that's what it was for me...a Green Mountain miracle. The miracle was that i had found a place that truly understood me and my relationship to food. It's not a simple matter. At Green Mountain I learned that my relationship with food is like a celtic knot and just over a few weeks I learned how to unravel that knot. I learned strategies that help me to make better choices for my health. I have been on every diet program imaginable, yet, alot of the information that was presented to me in the classes was new. I was amazed. And it was presented in such a caring and often entertaining fashion that it was easy to understand and to integrate into my own experience, I can't tell you how many ah ha moments I had as I realized how and where i had gotten off track and how to reboot my life.Never had I had the opportunity as I did at Green Mountain to focus on me with a group of liked minded women who shared many of my challenges and my strengths. The synergy was incredible. I could go on about the facility itself. It's a beautiful lodge style building nestled at the foot of a mountain, in a small ski town called Ludlow, Vermont. The building is spotless, the rooms are lovely, and the food was absolutely amazing. I never dreamt that eating healthy could be so delicious. The surrounding small towns are quaint, easily accessed and wonderful for weekend exploring. But that's really not what matters. It's the people who work at Green Mountain that it make it such an amazing place...the staff, the participants and the women who have passed though the halls of Green Mountain and forged a path to better health together..that is the spirit of Green Mountain. That is what makes it so special a place. Years of expertise. A history of helping women on their journey to better health. A 40 year tradition of talking about weight loss and health in a way that is totally unique, in a way that works. I was impressed with the expertise of the staff. I would recommend Green Mountain at Fox Run to anyone who has struggled with weight issues and who wants to begin a healthy new relationship with themselves. Go to Green Mountain and find your Miracle.

Room Tip: I loved the front rooms as they provided an excellent view of the mountain.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Kiki154958
Thanks for your review. We're glad you could take the time to focus on yourself at Green Mountain and the experience is what you hoped it would be.
New Jersey girl
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I was only at Green Mountain at Fox Run for one week (the minimum stay), but I cannot count the things I learned in that week. This is definitely not a spa or a fat farm or a boot camp. I would describe it as a retreat for women who have food issues. It is women only. The one thing I kept hearing over and over from the participants is that they felt "safe" there. No one judging, just positive energy.

The days there are busy, but not exhausting. There is a mix of classes (on nutrition, mindful eating, emotional eating, etc.) and exercise (strength training, cardio, aquatics, hiking, snowshoeing) with some meditation/visualization too. You don't have to go to anything you don't want to go to, but I didn't miss anything since I found it all so interesting.

The full program is 4 weeks, but you can go for fewer (or more) weeks. The staff there is excellent. In particular the head of the fitness area (LynnAnn) and the nutritionist (Robyn) are great. They have a psychologist on staff who teaches several classes. You can have private sessions with any of the staff (for an additional fee.)

The rooms are nice though nothing really special. They don't provide any amenities other than soap. No TV in the rooms. At first I was a little freaked out about it, but I learned to enjoy the quiet (there are TV's in common rooms).

The setting is gorgeous. From the exercise studio, you can see Okemo Mountain. I was there in the winter, so there was lots of snow. However, if you don't want, you don't even have to leave the premises. There is plenty to do indoors.

The food was awesome! You get three meals a day plus a mid-afternoon snack. You can tell them ahead of time any diet restrictions that you have, but essentially everyone gets the same food at every meal. The portions are generous (not spa sized) and I thought everything was yummy!

While I was there, the total number of participants was about 24, so it's a small group and you get to know everyone quickly. At the end of my week, there were lots of hugs as we said goodbye. If I could have, I would have loved to have stayed longer.

There aren't too many downsides to talk about. There could have been more evening activity. You have to go off-site to swim (they take you by van).

I got an email from one of the other participants saying how much she missed being there and I realized that it was a perfect week for me: no worries, no need to think about cooking, cleaning, overeating, you had really wonderful companionship (all the women there were smart and interesting. Everyone had stories.)

Who is this right for? The women in the program when I was there a variety of different sizes and shapes though most were overweight. I think anyone who has fought and lost the battle of weight loss could learn something here. It's a no diet approach. Very rational. No calorie counting or carb counting. They teach you a plan for living. We'll see how it works for me over time. I would not hesitate to go back if I need a refresher on how to eat and live a healthier life.

8 Thank Sillycat
ahwayler, Owner at Green Mountain at Fox Run, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
So glad to hear you enjoyed your "perfect week" at Green Mountain at Fox Run!
Addison, Texas
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Highly recommend. Learn to love yourself again. Body, Mind, Motivation, Wellness, Health, Direction, Stability, Strength, & Mindful Eating are examples of insight you will encounter and gain at Green Mountain. The professional staff at Green Mountain never considers such words as: age, body, salary, children, career, facebook friends, fashion, jewelry, experience, hair color, education, relationships, or life history. Non-judgmental on their part. Be the woman you deserve and want to be and learn how from your time at Green Mountain. Respect yourself, regain your self-confidence, and learn a lot about the mindful, healthy, facts of life.

The accommodations were beautiful and clean. Bed quality was 5-star. Meals were prepared professionally and applicable to individual health and prior to arriving request, e.g. lactose intolerant, gluten-free, or allergy awareness. The Chefs and kitchen staff were knowledgeable & willing to share the how, what, why, when & where of purchase and preparation.

No secrets. Non-attribution.

The women I met during my first visit in January 2013 were each incredible & shared their stories of wanting to be a better person, inside & out. Several said “I wish I would have discovered Green Mountain long ago.” But, I believe, it’s all about timing. As the Buddhist proverb states, “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” I was ready & the instructors were ready, well educated, and provided individual attention to each person.

Very important are the individual services available, outside the classroom and gym. The massage therapist was incredible& available at flexible hours. Each individual instructor was available to schedule individual, personal counseling and guidance during your stay or afterward by skype or phone.

Do you want to spend the rest of your life with regrets or providing an unfit health or attitude example to your children, family, friends? Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda? I can’t speak for you, but my answer was “No, I want to start now. It’s never too late.”

The Green Mountain experience is worth every dime! How much is your life’s wellness worth? Go for it ! You too, can be a fit woman! Vonn Robinson, Dallas, Texas

Room Tip: My choice was a single room, which I will select again.
4 Thank Azure4034
Wow, thanks for the review! Glad you enjoyed your time at Green Mountain, come back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Jackson Gore Inn
#3 of 7 in Ludlow
Timber Inn Motel
Timber Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Ludlow

Been to Green Mountain at Fox Run? Share your experiences!