“A Bit Expensive, It Got Better Though..........”
Review of Jackson Gore Inn

Jackson Gore Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ludlow
Reviewed 23 February 2008

I had heard a lot about this place, both when it was being built and hyped up and once it was complete. I have never ever understood why there are no real luxury places/resorts/hotels in the East. I mean the West is loaded with them, people here have as much if not more money and are surely willing to spend. In any case I assumed this was the closest thing and I was excited to experience it over Presidents break. We rented a 2 bedroom "suite" considered to be one of the premiere rooms. It was $1075.00 per night.
We arrived when it was dark but immediately upon entering them main checkout desk in the main building, we were stunned when we walked in to see hundreds of kids all over the place, it was very very loud, and I know that at ski resorts the lobby is a big place to hang and to their credit, they had some entertainment, hot apple cider being served, a fire going,etc....which obviously drew the crowds but it was a bit off putting to walk in and see that right away. We checked in, and went to next door to Adams, there is an underground garage which was convenient. He said there were bellman type rolling carts to unload our things or we could call a bellman, well...no carts to be found, ditto bellman. So we all unloaded and right upon entering the second floor, the furnishings were sparse, not very tastefully decorated and bottom line not impressive at all. When we entered "our suite" it was bedroom, then next door was a living room with another bedroom. I was expecting way more as was the other party we were with. It was clean and newish feeling but the furnishings were really cheap, I was expecting something akin to what you see out west!! The carpeting was this ugly brown color and it was really basic. If someone told me we were in a new Holiday Inn I wouldn't have batted an eyelash!! We went to sleep feeling a little ripped off, we woke up and thankfully things did get better.
Just seeing the glorious mountains and snow was a sight for sore eyes. We went to the main cafeteria, the only place they serve breakfast and it was pretty decent, they had starbucks which was a big perk for me, so so eggs, muffins, scones,etc......it was clean and fresher than many other ski lodges. The kids got into their respective classes/lessons with ease, the older ones took off for the day, we regrouped for lunch, which was not great, terrible burgers and chili, how can you mess up on those? But in fairness, ski resorts normally do not produce such great food at these kinds of places. The skiing was good, a little icy towards the end of the day, but beautiful and not crazily busy the set up there is really convenient and private feeling.
For dinner we were recommended to Sams steak which had an hour and a half wait so we went next door to the Italian place also owned by Sams, which was HORRIBLE. Our meal was nearly $300 and we left hungry (we didn't' eat, it was THAT bad) and picked up pizza at Wicked Good Pizza on the way back! The next day it was snowing a lot and we had to leave earlier than planned, but we left on a good note, not thinking there was such value there but that it was fun, and for east standards pretty adequate. I would say in my opinion the place is quite expensive, some luxury needs to be added to be able to call this a premiere ski destination in the east, management needs a little help, they were the ones recommending we leave early because of the storm but refused to give us any compensation for the unused lift tickets that day but at the same time when we said we would stay an extra day, are telling us they have no rooms left in the hotel!! That is poor management if you ask me. Also at check in we found it to be poorly run, we had so much equipment,etc.....and there was no one to help us and the carts were not there as they said. There were no toiletries, some bulbs were out in the lamps we had to wait two hours for them to bring shampoo,soap,etc....that is pathetic for what we were spending. I mean that is Four Seasons and Ritz pricing!
It is however a fun family place, very convenient and well laid out. Accessible, safe and clean. I was impressed with how you can leave out your skis, snowboard,etc.......as everyone does, and its safe, theft is almost unheard of because its such a big family destination. The indoor ski lockers are conveneiently located outside the wide hallways on each floor though no one at the front desk mentioned them, how to use them or gave us a lock for them!!
So overall if you don't mind the steep pricing and are OK with a glorified Holiday Inn, maybe a notch up....this is a fine enough place but personally I am still waiting for that real high end type ski resort like they have in abundance in places like Park City, Telluride, Vail,etc.............won't necessarily rush back here.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank fabfinds
There are newer reviews for Jackson Gore Inn

Reviewed 13 February 2008

I have stayed at Jackson Gore many times and have NEVER been dissatisfied! I learned how to snowboard AND ski there at a young age and i found that all of the instructors were friendly and paid equal attention to everything and everyone as it was necessary. The room was clean and the food was good for a ski lodge. Beening an avid snowboarder I have gone 'boarding at many different places and have found that Jackson Gore and Okemo have the best range of slopes, for beginners to experts. After staying here I realized that it is a great place to bring my family for long weekends and is totally worth every cent. They often have 'movie night' for the kids and a characterist. There's also a cozy firepit for the family to make s'mores, and there's snow tubing. There are many otther fun things for the family to do together or separate. Being picky about where i stay and then go back, Jackson Gore passed my test by a mile.

3  Thank vacaygirl22
Reviewed 22 January 2008

We stayed over Martin Luther King weekend with my husband and 4 children. We arrived before the crowds on Thursday night. They valet parked our car, unloaded our car and checked our skis(so easy)!!!! I was impressed with the lobby. It was large, had a pretty fireplace and a nice bar. The room was clean and looked fairly new. It is not a five star hotel but is great for a Vermont hotel. We were a family of six and we had a 1 bedroom suite. It is supposed to sleep 8 but we would have been more comfortable in a 2 bedroom suite.
I have never skied out West but I feel they are trying to make Jackson Gore similar to a western ski resort.
It was crowded during the holiday weekend and the lobby always seemed full of people. This was the only part that we disliked. The lobby seemed a little small the handle the large crowd.
The food at the hotel was good for Vermont. Again, it is not 5 star dining but the restaurants are very pretty and the food was pretty good.
It is very convenient to ski school and to the slopes. We just walked outside the hotel lobby and the lifts are right there. It is a very family friendly resort. We made smores in the lobby, went tubing, went in the indoor and outdoor pools. The ice skating rink was right in the parking lot. They also have a horse and carriage ride on the weekends. They have cross country skiing and snow shoeing at their golf course.
All in all it was a great little vacation. All the staff was very nice and accommodating. I cannot give it 5 stars because it is not a five star hotel but we did love it and will definitely go back there again!!!! It is a solid 4 star hotel in my opinion. As far as I know it is the best there is in Vermont. I would highly recommend it.

4  Thank dgely
Reviewed 13 January 2008

We rented at 1 bedroom full kitchen with pull down queen bed also with a pullout sofa in living room with a king bed in bedroom.
Very clean and spacious room . Had a fireplace and we had a great view of the slopes. Beautiful amenities and the pool are was great especially for the kids. Treated very well, we ate at all the resturants , the best one the Colemans Tavern. Pricey but very good.
Everything is right there and the kids programs are awsome. We
loved it we are going back in March.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank kjfiliault
Reviewed 5 January 2008

We were a family with 3 adults a 6 yr old and 8 month old and we stayed at Jackson Gore Inn in a 1 bedroom loft. Here is what we encountered with some good and bad and some tips for consideration.

First, when you talk to someone at reservations have them confirm in email. We are a military family and called to verify military discount where on the phone were told the discount would apply to spouse and upon arrival were told the lift ticket discount only applied to the active military person. Two other items told on phone were also NOT acknowledged upon arrival, so get it in writing.

Accommodations were nice and the kitchen was stocked well with the necessary items and included paper towels, garbage bags, and cleaning supplies as well as hair dryers. The room does not come with dryers or a lock box for valuables, but can be checked in at a safety box in lobby and dryers were down the hall on our floor at a cost of $1.50. The rooms could have supplied extra pillows and blankets, and as other review mentions the thermostat is hard to figure out. The other big issue we had was the actual process with check in at 5pm. We arrived at 4:15pm and had called earlier in the day and stated we might arrive between 2 and 3 and asked if we might be able to check in early and here again the lady said it should not be a problem, however they were not letting anyone check in before 5pm as we could see, because as soon as 5pm hit a bunch of people jumped into the line. Accommodations 4 Stars

The lobby area is nice and cozy a found it to be a popular place with people sitting around reading and talking etc around the fire with little mini smore kits to make smores, however the bar had one person working it and hard to get a drink.

My 6 yr old is first time skier and put her in the snow stars program and upon arrival the place was disorganized even for check-in people were waiting and filling the necessary papers. I left my daughter at 8:50 and came back to the building at 10:00am because I had not seen her on the bunny slope and they were still trying to get all the kids ready to go out with a ratio of 1:8, so I pulled my daughter out and very glad I did. The actual ½ day program for training is 10 am to 12 for slope time. We headed to the bunny slope and the good is they have a conveyer that allows the kids just to step on and it carries them a little way up and drops them at a very small slope to the bottom, however the young man working the conveyer apparently hated his job, he kept his hands in his pockets and watched as kids struggled and fell trying to get on the conveyer. His attitude was terrible and could not be more disappointed by what I saw for when the snow stars finally arrived on the slope I witnessed one little girl who had fallen and since the person working the conveyer was not interested did not stop the conveyer and the instructor struggling to help the girl, I did not feel she was in danger, as she was just down, but it was a little disheartening to know he was not paying attention and did not understand why they would have someone working the bunny slope conveyer who did not enjoy working with children. Snow stars program 1 star, would not recommend.

We were fortunate and had a good snow right before our arrival so the conditions were pretty good, however having skied in Colorado and by no means an expert, but would pick Colorado snow hands down as we found the conditions with an icy feel at a lot of places on the mountain. This area is absolutely beautiful and enjoyed the little town of Ludlow, but did not like enough to say I would go back to the Okemo Mountain, unless it was a distance decision. Another tip, if you want to ensure you get a family photo, call the photo people as we went to the photo spots 3 different times without any luck and missed a family photo.

I would like to add we arrived on Jan-2 and probably considered a very busy time and maybe the reason for some of our experiences.

1  Thank Cindy H
Reviewed 29 December 2007

Luxury missing some important details...at the Jackson Gore Inn
Okemo is a pretty mountain in a pretty little town with all the resort amenties. For hardy skiiers the Mountain is not as big or challenging as White Face in Lake Placid but the resort atmosphere makes it a more luxurious vacation. Actually, the price of everything matches that luxury standard. We rented a Junior one bedroom suite for our family,two college age children and ourselves. We wanted a very comfortable holiday trip that our kids would enjoy and remember.The design of the suite was perfect for us . Each of our children had a queen size bed and we shared a very comfortable Murphy bed. A roll out couch was also available. There were, however, quite a few minor problems the management overlooked even after I had politely and quickly brought them to their attention .

The heat was set very high and the thermostat was impossible to figure out. It was at least 80 the whole time.
We could not enjoy the fireplace as the room was so hot.
The phone did not work.
The lights were missing from the murphy bed.
The main lamp on the side board did not work .
The light over the kitchen table did not work
The garbage disposal did not work.
There were no pillows for the main bedroom.
We had to pull out the refrigerator and plug it in.

None of these issues were addressed for us.We enjoyed the skiing, the skating , the health club. There were many great restaurants in town and the ski shops were very helpful and fun to visit. But I am very disappointed in the Jackson Gore Inn. These problems were simple ones that could have been fixed quickly and I would have become a frequent year round visitor.I had hoped to make this trip an annual family tradition but I am looking for another spot for next year.

Okemo is a pretty mountain in a pretty little town with all the resort amenties. For hardy skiiers the Mountain is not as big or challenging as White Face in Lake Placid but the resort atmoshere makes it a more luxurious vacation. Actually, the price of everything matches that luxury standard. We rented a Junior one bedroom suite for our family,two college age children and ourselves. We wanted a very comfortable holiday trip that our kids would enjoy and remember.The design of the suite was perfect for us . Each of our children had a queen size bed and we shared a very comfortable Murphy bed. A roll out couch was also available. There were, however, quite a few minor problems the management overlooked even after I had politely and quickly brought them to their attention .

We could not enjoy the fireplace as the room was so hot.
The phone did not work.
The lights were missing from the murphy bed.
The main lamp on the side board did not work .
The light over the kitchen table did not work
The garbage disposal did not work.
There were no pillows for the main bedroom.
We had to pull out the refrigerator and plug it in.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank stylematters
Reviewed 24 December 2007

we stayed for two nights, returning 12/23. Although the property is newish, 2003, it is showing signs of wear. I think they could do a lot more to improve on this hotel. Easy things like make the outdoor pool hotter, provide bigger pool towels, connect the Spring House to Jackson Gore so you don't have to walk outside. Still for location it is great. Coleman Brook Tavern was just ok. For those going gluten free, there is almost nothing to eat on the menu and the supermarket closest to okemo has nothing gluten free.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank doctoradler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Mountain Lodge at Okemo
Ludlow Colonial Motel
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Castle Hill Resort And Spa

Been to Jackson Gore Inn? Share your experiences!