“Amazing Amenities” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ludlow
Rochester, NY
“Amazing Amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

I stayed there with my dad and it is one of the best hotels I have ever been to. This hotel had an indoor/outdoor pool that was probably olympic size, it had two outside hot tubs and it had just about anything else; a slide going into another indoor pool, another hot tub, a fitness center, a giant steam room, a giant sauna and it was very close to the mountain. the rooms were nothing special but nice, it had a big television and lots of room for storage. This hotel is a great place for a family.

• Liked — The pools,hot tubs, and a great skiing day
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Bobby97

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Trumbull, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

You can't beat the location of this inn. The slopes are right outside your doorstep. But beware - the inn rooms are tiny! We were happy to reserve two inn rooms at very short notice during the holidays so we were not too picky, but were very disappointed when we walked into the rooms. There was literally only 18" of walking clearance between the bed and television - incredibly small. Also, skiers typically have quite a bit of luggage, bulky clothing, coats, boots, etc....no room to put these. We had to stack stuff on the small floor space. I'm baffled that the architects and developers were able to get away with creating such small spaces. The decor of the rooms is also very bland and typical. I expected it to be more upscale considering the rating and price.
So, other than incredibly small rooms, and so-so decor, the Inn at Jackson Gore does have a wonderful main room near the lobby that is great to hang out in. The bar is nice, the restaurant has great food and of course, location - lcoation - location.

1 Thank dstsjohn
Hudson Valley, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2009

I ski in Vermont about twice a year and almost always stay on the mountain. Here is my critical review of Okemo’s Jackson Gore Inn. We are 2 adults and 2 small children 7 and 4. We booked a studio for 4 nights arriving New Years Eve at $650 per night. We usually get a 1 or 2 bedroom unit, but that would have added over $1,200 more to the vacation.

I read some stories about not being able to check in early. We arrived at 4pm, one hour before normal check-in time. There was only one person ahead of us on line. After 2 minutes I was called to the desk. I gave the person my name, they checked to see if my room was ready, which is was, and checked me in within 5 minutes. I immediately found a bell hop and he met me in the underground garage to assist with my luggage.

The room had a galley kitchen with full size refrigerator, stove, sink, and dishwasher. Silverware was limited and there were only 3 bowls for morning cereal. Other than that, the kitchen was better than expected. The bathroom was clean and a nice size. This studio was a loft studio with a pullout couch on the first floor and a queen size bed in the loft. It would have been nice if there was a TV in the loft. There was a nice gas fireplace and big windows that overlooked the lift. However, one of the windows was off track with a 1/16 “ gap which allowed a sub zero breeze into the room. With a little help from my wife, I was able to wedge the window closed stopping most of the breeze but not all.

I had made dinner reservations in Jackson Gore’s Coleman Tavern for 6:30pm about a month ago which was a smart idea since the Inn was completed sold out and the restaurant was only seating people with reservations. The restaurant was completely packed and the staff was running around like crazy. We were seated quickly and received our drinks and appetites quickly. However, we waited about an hour to receive our main course – much too long for our young children. The food was pretty good, but not great. The bill came out to $90 with tax and tip and no alcohol.

That night we went to the indoor pool. I can’t understand why the pool building is not connected to the main building. You have to walk about 150 feet across the street outdoors to get to the pool. So we bundled up and changed in the pools dressing room. The pool was very nice, very warm, with only a handful of other kids. The pool consisted of a main pool with a lap area and a nice slide, a kiddy pool with a kiddy slide, and a big hot tub. After a 6 hours of driving, it was a very nice treat. The temperature was about 82 degrees. We swam from 8:30pm to 9:30pm. The pool closes at 10pm.

That night the kids slept upstairs in the queen bed since my wife and I wanted to watch some TV. So after the kids where tucked in we went down stairs and opened up the sofa bed. The bed frame was broken in a bunch of areas and the mattress was old and uncomfortable. The frame actually caused hard uneven bumps through the mattress. This was the worst sofa bed ever. After an hour my wife had to sleep upstairs with the kids. This was one of my worst sleeping experiences ever in Vermont! I am very disappointed. Our plan for tomorrow is to take the mattress off the sofa bed and sleep on the floor sort of like camping in a $650 per night per night tent .

By the way, although they have free wireless internet service, it was useless Wednesday night. My connection was excellent but it was so slow that pages would time out. Basically it was useless. Very disappointed about that as well – I need to be connected!

Thursday
Since the wind chill is about -20 we decided to change the kid’s ski school reservations from Thursday to Saturday (Friday was sold out). The change cost another $70 ($35 a piece). That’s $145 per child for ski school – sure hope they do a good job. This is only the second time our kids will be skiing. I plan on taking them on the carpet lifts tomorrow by myself. I hear they don’t require a lift ticket. I tried the Internet again this morning.
Hallelujah we have access. It may be sporadic and slow access but we have access.

Today we took the kids out to play on the pile of snow they make in front of the Inn. The kids had fun but they sure were cold. Later we ate lunch in the food court used by the skiers. Food was surprisingly good for a skier food court. We then went to check out the ski school, the ski shop, and the Ice Skating rink which is across the street, again. The rink has a roof, but the sides are wide open. Very very cold. Skate rentals are $4 and rink use is $4. Thursday night we swam again in the pool and make dinner in our room.

Friday
Took kid’s the onto the carpet lift. It was free. That is a great deal! They had a blast. Later that day, after the kids and wife had enough, I did some serious skiing all around the mountain. Conditions were great and I had a blast. Later that day we went swimming again and ate dinner in the Siena restaurant at Jackson Gore. I had made these reservations in December as soon as they opened for the season. Luckily again, since they were completely booked. I met someone as we were existing and they stated that they spend the last 1.5 hours in town trying to find a place to eat with no luck. The Siena was very dark. Our waitress was fantastic but the kitchen was so backed up that my son fell asleep at the table waiting. It took forever to get a second glass of wine – fortunately the waitress gave it to me on the house. When my main course of chicken parmesan finally came out it lacked the parmesan. When I pointed it out to the waitress she offer to take it back – fearing that it would be another hour before I saw it again I kindly declined. The waitress told me that she would take it off our bill. She was doing her best. Overall the food was very good, the waitress did her best, but the place is very poorly run. When I reviewed the bill in my room the wine and main course were not on the bill as expected, however a $6 salad that we did not order was. Overall they get a C primarily for convenience.

Saturday
Dropped the kids off at ski school 8:45am. Enrollment was a breeze and very professional. Much better than our experience at Stratton last year where it was a bit chaotic. Although the kids were a little nervous, they were fine with us leaving. We kept them together so they would keep each other company. It was great to be able to go back to the room and take our time getting ready for us to hit the slopes. My wife hasn’t skied for 8 years so I spent the morning training here on the beginner slopes. After lunch we went back to ski school to see how the kids were doing and gave them the option to hang with us on the carpet lifts. They waved us away and stated they were having a great time. Now that’s a great ski school. My wife called it a day to read a book and I hit some black diamonds the rest of the day. That evening my wife took my son to the pool and I took my daughter tubing which was along side one of the carpet lifts. Unfortunately they were sold out so we decided to try some ice skating. The skates were extremely uncomfortable and the blades were not sharp. We took them off after about 5 minutes. They promptly returned our money. I asked when was the last time they sharpened the blades. They told me the sharpening machine was broken for the last 2 weeks. I wn’t use the ice skating rink unless I brought my own skates. So we went back to the room, got our bathing suits and went swimming. That night we had dinner in our room.

Sunday
Sunday morning my wife spoke to the manager and let them know about our terrible experience with the sofa bed. The manager refunded us $450 and was very sympathetic. Overall we had a fantastic vacation and if we have the funds, will probably be back next year. The convenience of staying slope side, walking distance to ski school and the lifts outweighs any of the issues we had. We did not use our car the entire vacation.

• Liked — Location location location
  • Disliked — The sofa bed
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank DaveGrave
home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

We just returned from a great ski vacation in Okemo VT. We stayed at the Jackson Gore Inn and enjoyed every minute of it, looks like a perfect place for family with small kids like us. The main advantage is having the hotel right on the slopes. You step out, put on your skis and the chair lift is right in front of you. Our room was facing the slope so we could see the chair lift and all the activities around it while eating break fast.
Both the Hotel and the ski site are very well maintained. We found the hotel amenities exactly as described. The staff is very helpful and the entire atmosphere is very welcoming. You have two pools to choose from, one in the hotel and one in the Spring house which is right next to the hotel, most of the time our kids were either skiing or at one the pools. We did the tubing one time which was very nice, and there is also the ice skating which we did not try.
Okemo has two base areas, the old and larger one where the Okemo base lodge is located, and a newer one were the the Jackson Gore is. The advantage of being the smaller base area (where we were) is being in a quieter place were the volume of skiers is much smaller. The down side is having fewer slope options directly outside of the hotel. If you are a good skier or a new beginner it does not makes much of a different since both areas are well connected and you have enough beginners slope area in both . But if you are looking for green runs, the main area might be a better choice.

• Stayed December 2008
Philly, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2008

We stayed at the Jackson Gore Inn February 26th to the 29th for our 2008 VT ski trip. This was our first trip to Okemo and overall we were not disappointed. One of my few complaints about Okemo though is the lack of signage for the mountain and its resorts. I don’t think I saw a single sign until the one at the driveway to the resort complex. Once on the property we were pretty impressed however. The drive was clear and the signage was abundant. Seeing the Jackson Gore Inn from the drive was breathtaking. The resort is sprawling, modern and quite beautiful. We were very lucky to get a record powder dump (15+ inches) the first day/ night of our trip so it truly was a winter wonderland. Once at the resort we noticed that the place was pretty dead. Inside the lobby there was a smattering of families and young children around the fireplace but the bar was basically empty as was the check in line and restaurant from what we could see. This would continue our whole trip which is exactly why we prefer to do our VT trips midweek. Our check in took about two minutes and then we were off our inn room suite in the Adams House. It was a little confusing finding our parking garage but that was mostly because it was snowing so hard that most of the signs were covered. We really loved the underground parking garage especially since we arrived in the middle of a huge snowstorm. There were no bell people (or any other people that we could see) in the Adams House so we happily unpacked the car ourselves and took the elevator up to our third floor room. It had a weird vestibule which was shared with another suite which I found kind of strange but whatever. The second door opened up to an entry hall which was spacious and had a large double door closet great for holding ski gear, luggage, jackets, etc. The bedroom was large, clean and nicely decorated. The bed was a huge king, had clean, neutral bedding and an overabundance of very hard pillows. In the corner was a gas fireplace which we ended up using everyday. The television above the fireplace was a tad small and hard to see from the bed but it wasn’t that big a deal. There was also a table and cushy chairs, a desk and chair and a bureau. My absolute favorite part of the bedroom was definitely the view. We had a lovely view of the slopes and I must say it was both breathtaking and entertaining watching the snow, skiers, groomers, etc. Second only to the view was the bathroom. It was lovely and large and had a separate shower and whirlpool tub which was deep but definitely not for two. There were also plenty of towels and toiletries. Since we are hardcore skiers and pretty much skied all day we didn’t use a lot of the hotel’s amenities such as the Spring House pool complex, the concierge, the spa, the general store, the arcade, the rental shop, ski lessons, etc. Here are some of the amenities we did use…

1. The Adams House hot tubs. They were empty the whole time we were there and conveniently located right outside the slopeside entrance. They were warm enough and quite wonderful after a hard day on the slopes. It would have been nice if there was storage for your stuff though. You can’t streak from the hotel or use the lockers because they’re too far and it’s too cold. Since it was snowing our clothes ended up getting very wet.

2. The Coleman Brook Tavern. The food was average and expensive but that’s par for the course. The martini menu was great however as was the wait staff.

3. Sienna. This restaurant wasn’t open the entire time we stayed. Had we realized that we would be limited to one dining option we may not have booked this hotel but as the place was dead I can see why it wasn’t open until the weekend.

4. Ski lockers. The inside lockers on the ground floor were reserved for owners so we opted to use the outdoor lockers located right outside of the slope entrance rather that lug our stuff down from the second floor. I must say that it was really nice to grab the skis and poles out of the locker, walk three feet and be on the snow.

5. Wicked Good Pizza. OK not really an amenity but we were sick of the Coleman. WGP delivers right to the room, their pizza isn’t half bad and the prices were a welcome break from the gouging we got from the mountain eateries.

6. The Roundhouse. Only open for breakfast and lunch. Not great food and definitely not a great value. Totally lodge food but again par for the course at a ski area.

7. Ice/ Washing/ Vending. The icemaker is self explanatory. The washer and dryer were free which was a nice touch although we didn’t use it. We were really unhappy to find that there wasn’t a single vending machine in the Adams House. Since there isn’t room service, an in room refrigerator or a 24 hour store I think this is a terrible oversight.

8. Walkway to the main hotel. It was uncovered but heated so for the most part it was clear. There were a few icy nights but we saw people clearing it. It would be better if they covered it especially since the pool and restaurants are in the other building.

9. Ski in/ ski out. This amenity is exactly why JG can charge so much. It really was a joy to ski right up to the door at the end of the day as it was to ski right to the lift in the morning.

10. Housekeeping. Here is my one other minor complaint. There were a lot of missing light bulbs in the room which were never replaced even though we called. The cleaners also threw away my Intuition razor base on the second day. I was really not happy but to rectify the situation they did bring up some disposables. An honest mistake but still an inconvenience.

Ovealll it was a great trip. Thanks Jackson Gore!

• Liked — Proximity to slopes. Ski in/ ski out.
  • Disliked — Price/ value. Lack of dining and nightlife options.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LESLIEKURZ
fabfinds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2008

I had heard a lot about this place, both when it was being built and hyped up and once it was complete. I have never ever understood why there are no real luxury places/resorts/hotels in the East. I mean the West is loaded with them, people here have as much if not more money and are surely willing to spend. In any case I assumed this was the closest thing and I was excited to experience it over Presidents break. We rented a 2 bedroom "suite" considered to be one of the premiere rooms. It was $1075.00 per night.
We arrived when it was dark but immediately upon entering them main checkout desk in the main building, we were stunned when we walked in to see hundreds of kids all over the place, it was very very loud, and I know that at ski resorts the lobby is a big place to hang and to their credit, they had some entertainment, hot apple cider being served, a fire going,etc....which obviously drew the crowds but it was a bit off putting to walk in and see that right away. We checked in, and went to next door to Adams, there is an underground garage which was convenient. He said there were bellman type rolling carts to unload our things or we could call a bellman, well...no carts to be found, ditto bellman. So we all unloaded and right upon entering the second floor, the furnishings were sparse, not very tastefully decorated and bottom line not impressive at all. When we entered "our suite" it was bedroom, then next door was a living room with another bedroom. I was expecting way more as was the other party we were with. It was clean and newish feeling but the furnishings were really cheap, I was expecting something akin to what you see out west!! The carpeting was this ugly brown color and it was really basic. If someone told me we were in a new Holiday Inn I wouldn't have batted an eyelash!! We went to sleep feeling a little ripped off, we woke up and thankfully things did get better.
Just seeing the glorious mountains and snow was a sight for sore eyes. We went to the main cafeteria, the only place they serve breakfast and it was pretty decent, they had starbucks which was a big perk for me, so so eggs, muffins, scones,etc......it was clean and fresher than many other ski lodges. The kids got into their respective classes/lessons with ease, the older ones took off for the day, we regrouped for lunch, which was not great, terrible burgers and chili, how can you mess up on those? But in fairness, ski resorts normally do not produce such great food at these kinds of places. The skiing was good, a little icy towards the end of the day, but beautiful and not crazily busy the set up there is really convenient and private feeling.
For dinner we were recommended to Sams steak which had an hour and a half wait so we went next door to the Italian place also owned by Sams, which was HORRIBLE. Our meal was nearly $300 and we left hungry (we didn't' eat, it was THAT bad) and picked up pizza at Wicked Good Pizza on the way back! The next day it was snowing a lot and we had to leave earlier than planned, but we left on a good note, not thinking there was such value there but that it was fun, and for east standards pretty adequate. I would say in my opinion the place is quite expensive, some luxury needs to be added to be able to call this a premiere ski destination in the east, management needs a little help, they were the ones recommending we leave early because of the storm but refused to give us any compensation for the unused lift tickets that day but at the same time when we said we would stay an extra day, are telling us they have no rooms left in the hotel!! That is poor management if you ask me. Also at check in we found it to be poorly run, we had so much equipment,etc.....and there was no one to help us and the carts were not there as they said. There were no toiletries, some bulbs were out in the lamps we had to wait two hours for them to bring shampoo,soap,etc....that is pathetic for what we were spending. I mean that is Four Seasons and Ritz pricing!
It is however a fun family place, very convenient and well laid out. Accessible, safe and clean. I was impressed with how you can leave out your skis, snowboard,etc.......as everyone does, and its safe, theft is almost unheard of because its such a big family destination. The indoor ski lockers are conveneiently located outside the wide hallways on each floor though no one at the front desk mentioned them, how to use them or gave us a lock for them!!
So overall if you don't mind the steep pricing and are OK with a glorified Holiday Inn, maybe a notch up....this is a fine enough place but personally I am still waiting for that real high end type ski resort like they have in abundance in places like Park City, Telluride, Vail,etc.............won't necessarily rush back here.

• Liked — Convenience, being right at the base of the moutain, being situated in a quaint Vermont town, Ludlow a real charmer.
  • Disliked — Our expectations based on price were really really let down...this is a basic place.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank fabfinds
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2008

I have stayed at Jackson Gore many times and have NEVER been dissatisfied! I learned how to snowboard AND ski there at a young age and i found that all of the instructors were friendly and paid equal attention to everything and everyone as it was necessary. The room was clean and the food was good for a ski lodge. Beening an avid snowboarder I have gone 'boarding at many different places and have found that Jackson Gore and Okemo have the best range of slopes, for beginners to experts. After staying here I realized that it is a great place to bring my family for long weekends and is totally worth every cent. They often have 'movie night' for the kids and a characterist. There's also a cozy firepit for the family to make s'mores, and there's snow tubing. There are many otther fun things for the family to do together or separate. Being picky about where i stay and then go back, Jackson Gore passed my test by a mile.

• Liked — there were no evident problems in there 'system'.
  • Disliked — gets crowded by the lifts on the weekend.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank vacaygirl22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Mountain Lodge at Okemo
Ludlow Colonial Motel
Castle Hill Resort And Spa
Andrie Rose Inn
Andrie Rose Inn
#3 of 7 in Ludlow
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to Jackson Gore Inn? Share your experiences!