“Clean, great location, lousy bed!”
Review of Happy Trails Motel

and 1 more site!
Happy Trails Motel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ludlow
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I give Happy Trails 4 stars because for what it is, an economy motel is a ski area, you get what you pay for, which was about $135 on 2/7/14. The motel is 5 minutes from Okemo mountain, and you could easily pay $100 to $300 more depending on what you'd like. You'd get more for the money but if you want to sleep and ski, this fits the bill. The staff, the one I saw, was friendly and accommodating. The room was larger than I expected, with a refrigerator and a table with 2 chairs, as well as a flat screen TV. The bed however, was in need of replacing. The mattress was thin and well worn. meaning it tended to sag in the middle. My suggestion to the motel would be to evaluate and replace the worn mattresses.

Overall, a pleasant experience, but not a great night's sleep!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fairbanks2

Reviewed 24 September 2013

The happy Trails Motel was recommended to us by another motel in Ludlow that had no vacancy so we booked it on their recommendation. Upon pulling into the drive way we were concerned about the unkept grounds. Upon entering the office we found clutter and filth but we proceeded with the check in process.
We proceeded to our room after a long day of traveling. After a struggle we did get the door open and what to out wondering eyes did we see but the dirtiest motel room we have ever seen.
It was way too dirty for our liking, which caused us to return to then office for a refund. I have recommended many establishments on tripadvisor but I can not do that with the Happy Trails Motel. Stay away, it is old run down and a filthy mess.

Room Tip: my advise is to stay away
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Drakesisland
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This hotel is really going downhill fast. We have stayed there a few times off-season and it is getting worse each time we go there. The toilets clog up and overflow with just one use, the place is infested with spiders and bugs on the outside of the door into the room and they keep the outside lights on which attracts more bugs. Can't open and close the sliding glass door into the room..happened in all the rooms we stayed in. They advertise the hot tub but its only seasonal and I heard it smells like fish anyway because its not cleaned regularly. However, it is a very inexpensive hotel off-season compared to other hotels, which I am glad I did not pay more than what I did because I won't be going there again. I would rather pay more for better quality. The prices in the winter are outrageous but it is local to Okemo with a nice view of the mountain on a clear day.

Room Tip: When you enter the room from the outside look up near the light and say hello to the spiders and bug...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My wife and I were attending a wedding at Okemo Mountain and while searching for a place to stay the website for The Happy Trails Motel made it look like a decent place to stay. Well upon our arrival we were SHOCKED to see the real Happy Trails Motel. It looked nothing like the website and was a run down building which looked like it hadn't been updated or cleaned since the 1980's. My wife refused to get out of the car and refused to stay at this location. Upon entering the reception area I was overcome by a foul odor and a run down area to match. The female receptionist was extremely rude and the only good thing I can say about this location is that I was able to cancel my reservation without paying anything. The receptionist did advise me I was never welcome back at their establishment which definitely will not be a problem. I am new to TripAdvisor and this experience occurred in June 2009 so hopefully something has changed since then.........

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here..........
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DCayot603
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Just stayed at this motel for the blizzard. At 150.00 a night stay away. I will give it a 10 for heat. We had two adjoining rooms, one the heat did not shut off and we had to open the window as it was beyond hot. The other room had only a space heater and even without it it was hot as well. Carpet was well worn and dirty,bathrooms needed work,t.v.remotes did not work, and bulbs missing through out the units. At least the linens and towels were clean. Avoid this dump.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Since the latest reviews were well over a year ago we thought there might have been some improvements. Well ...

Good: Staff very friendly upon arrival. Rooms were spacious. No smell. Bed was okay with firm covers and pillows. Small fridge worked fine. Hot water in the shower and sink. Jacuzzi was working. Wifi worked fine. Coffee machine and available coffee. Minimal cable TV.

Cons: Annoying noisy pipe knocking sounds in the walls throughout the night. Probably from the radiator pipes. Room walls are thin. You can hear "everything." Bed was uncomfortable for back. No microwave. Entry doors are sliding doors which need much updating. After 2 days jacuzzi smelled like a fish tank. Rooms could have been cleaner.

Seems like the management is neglecting everything. Perhaps cutting corners to save costs or just plain cheap. I mean a sealed cheap styrofoam cup obviously torn at the bottom is not going to hold the coffee okay! Only for those with low expectations.

Room Tip: Looks like there are rooms in the building with the office that might be better.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We arrived to a dark empty office. After a minute or two, an employee (owner?) arrived without a smile. By now we had a feeling this wasn't going to be great. We asked to see the 2 rooms first, and we are glad we did. The hallway was narrow, dingy, smelly, dirty carpets, and poorly lit. When we opened the door to the 1st room, we were hit with a strong smell of cat urine. The furnishings look nothing like the web site (not pink and cheerful and clean!). The second room was not much better,except instead of cat urine, it smelled strongly of mold and mildew. We peeked in the room with the hot tub and saw white plastic garbage bags filled with ? piled around the hot tub. We returned to the office and told the person there that the rooms were dirty and we would not be staying - she seemed shocked at our statement. She never said a word to us as we left. The only thing this place may have in common with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans is is that when the song "Happy Trails" was a hit - that may have been the last time the rooms were cleaned!

Room Tip: Smelly and dirty. Carpets in halls and the room were disgusting.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank 2yellowkittens
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Ludlow Colonial Motel
Timber Inn Motel
Timber Inn Motel
#2 of 5 in Ludlow
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort

Been to Happy Trails Motel? Share your experiences!