“Economical, comfortable, and convenient to Okemo/Jackson Gore ski areas” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Happy Trails Motel

Happy Trails Motel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ludlow
“Economical, comfortable, and convenient to Okemo/Jackson Gore ski areas”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

We keep coming back for the convenience to Okemo ski areas, large comfortable rooms, hot tub and affordable rates.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
new jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

I stayed at the Happy Trails motel a few nights ago during an impromptu ski trip with my 11 year old son. We literally made the reservation 2 days in advance and I figured I was lucky to get a reservation anywhere in town at all (it was New Year's weekend).

I can totally see why some people complain about bad service, though I personally was treated decently.

I made the reservation on Expedia and left my credit card number as a deposit. I reserved the room for two nights. When I checked in the receptionist (pretty sure she also owns the place) charged me in advance for the room, even before I walked into it. When I asked whether she was going to charge me in advance for the second night she responded "you can decide in the morning whether you want to stay another night - then we charge you." Wow! Almost like a challenge to stay another night!

Honestly, for our purpose the room turned out OK. The TV was good, the bed was actually comfortable, the room temp was fine, and although the physical structure of the motel was actually laughable in its construction, the room seemed pretty clean. The first night we slept fine. The second night, however, was notable for being awoken at 6 AM to the sounds of lovemaking from next door! My 11 year old son asked me if the people next door were OK - he thought someone was getting murdured. Rather than have a birds-and-bees talk at 6 am, I just told him they must have been sore from skiing and were giving each other massages! Not sure he really bought it.

After skiing the second day we thought to check out the hot tub in the "solarium" but skipped it in the end. Even my son, never reluctant to swim in 60 degree ocean water, said "dad, let's just each take a hot shower". Smart kid!

For a crash pad very near Okemo, the Happy Trails motel can work. However, I'd bring styrofoam earplugs, plan never to walk barefoot in your room, don't bother bringing a bathing suit, and don't expect much. If your expectations are modest, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank glubblub

Travellers are raving about these Ludlow hotels

New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

Me and my teenage daughter spent 2 nights at this motel during a short ski trip. This was probably one of the worst motels I have ever stayed at. The musty smell from the room got into all our clothes. The room had very outdated furniture and the cleanliness of the bathroom was far from perfect. And the price they charge for this shack is outrageous.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Andrei S
PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

Spend the extra money on a better place to stay. Creepy, smelly, dirty. There was blood on the wall, a used band aid on the bathroom floor. When we got there, there was urine and toilet paper in the toilet. Floors were creeky and you can hear your neighbors every move. Was not happy with the stay, and next time I would even stay 30 miles away from okemo to have a clean quiet place to sleep.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank craig_zlist
Upstate, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

Customer Service: As a previous reviewer mention customer service was lacking, could have been a lack of a common language as both my wife and I got the impression the woman at the desk did not understand us or just didn't care.

Cleanliness: I've taveled the world quite extensively and have stayed in some pretty bad places (third world). Happy Trails is high on my list for bad. The room was disgusting. There was pubic hair in the shower and other types of hair caked upon the floor edges. Needless to say we recleaned the bathroom ourselves after getting some lysol wipes from the market down the street. Behind and under the dressers and night stands were just as disgusting, with beer bootle caps, candy wrappers, an incredible amount of dust/hair bunnies, etc.

Hot tub: The water was yellowish, green with the most disgusting smell. It was hard to discribe but somewhere between a fish tank and a stagnant pool is close. We complained to management our first night, were essentially dismissed by the staff. We hoped they would clean it but after a day of skiing and looked forward to jumping into a clean tub, the tub was worse the next night.

Quality of sleep: As previous reviews state the walls and the floors have absolutely no sound proofing whatsoever. Worst couple of nights sleep I have ever had!

Would have checked out the next day but felt we would have problems getting our money back. Should have read other reviews before booking this place.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

I have stayed at some rundown motels before but this was the worst I have ever seen. We had a late check-in and got there at midnight, the lady at the front desk was mad we came so late. She gave us our key then locked the office and left- I'm asuming she went to bed 'cuz when I saw the condition of the room I tried to go say something and the office was close. I have never seen a dirtier bathroom on my life!!! I had to put a towel on the shower floor to stand on it was so bad, and there was someones pubic hair all around the toilet. In the morning I went to complain to the front desk where the owner started shouting at me telling me he never had a complaint before and that I was greedy and just wanted my money back. When I stated that I didn't care about the money and I wanted him to come with me to the room so I could show him he started YELLING at me telling me my only choice was to never come back again. I spent 200$ on that room and I am outraged. I am calling the better busniess bearu on them. I have already spoke to the health department which plans on taking action since i'm not the first complaint about cleanness.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Rude owner - dirty bathroom
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

Over all this Motel was in a convenient location to the mountain. However that was the only good thing about it. There was No wireless internet, no weight room, and no HBO. The staff was very grumpy and gave me the feeling they did not like tourists. I happen to be in the Hospitality field and rarely write bad reviews. However the level of professionalism went against everything that is expected. There was a significant Language barrier and no attempt to compromise with simple requests such as extra towels. Its a bit pricey for the quality of accommodations.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The Service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Ludlow Colonial Motel
#1 of 6 in Ludlow
All Seasons Motel
All Seasons Motel
#4 of 6 in Ludlow

Been to Happy Trails Motel? Share your experiences!