“good spot”

Stemwinder
Ranked #10 of 46 Restaurants in Ludlow
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Deep wine list eclectic food choices small and big plates for dining delectable cheese plates seasonal fondue
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stopped in for dinner on a summer Friday night without reservations. This is not a big place and I was concerned about getting seated but no problem. It was reasonably busy but not overcrowded. (I don't know how that would work out in ski season). The service was very good. At first they sat us at a table near an air conditioning vent, but when we said something we were immediately moved with a smile and no hassle. The food and wine were very good. They were starting to run out of some choices but there were plenty of choices left. I think the small plate format is fun. The two of us split 4 plates and were full. We were not rushed and overall it was a good choice. Go for it.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

What a wonderful gem tucked away on Depot St! Adorable atmosphere with a cozy bar that faces the kitchen where you can watch the owner - and the rest of the pleasant staff - all work hard to provide the freshly prepared food. I have been here twice - once a ladies dinner where we tried numerous items until full and everything was delicious. We sampled beef sliders, cheese plates, a flatbread, and salad. My recent visit with my husband was different. He has shied away from all tapas/small plate venues because he has an appetite like a horse and no he is not overweight. I got him here with the lure of good beer on tap! He agreed to try an appetizer and we chose a meat and cheese plate. There was a list of items to choose - all VT local. The presentation was wonderful with a variety of local condiments and homemade crisp bread. It was a great way to start our evening. We - yes my husband as well - will be back to plow through more of the menu to make our next experience a complete dinner. My husband liked the very wide selection of food options, the fresh taste of the food, the pairings of the items, and the uniqueness of the options. Wine selection is excellent and dessert looked great although we did not try it. Presentation here is as quality as the food. Value is excellent, and far better than the competition across the street.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This extraordinary and intimate tapas and wine bar is tucked in behind The Wine and Cheese Depot just off Main Street, across from Town Hall. You kind of have to know it's there to find it, but it's worth the effort. The ever changing list of 8 or 10 creative and delicious tapas are more generous than tapas I'm familiar with, serving as small entrees and/or generous salads. The menu board's offerings are Inventive without feeling or tasting contrived. There are ever changing by-the-glass (or partial glass) offerings of a broad range of wines and an assortment of bottled beers. I have not tried the desserts, but if the chef's desserts match her tapas, they are bound to be a treat. In the 3 or 4 times I've been here an unusual tapa, plus a tasty salad and a glass of wine made an excellent meal. And, I always feel welcome at the bar.

At least on week nights, the clientele is predominantly local and almost as interesting as the food and beverage. This gem of an eating establishment is a huge addition to the charm and appeal of Ludlow.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

The Stemwinder is a true restaurant gem in the Ludlow Valley. You can dine on superb food in a a warm and inviting atmosphere. Chef Wendy combines wonderful flavors in each dish. Her ingenuity is fantastic! You will dine on delicious and reasonably priced food while be served by wonderful, friendly and professional individuals. They serve a a great selection of wines and craft beers. Leslie and the staff will gladly help you choose which wine or beer to pair with your meal.
I wish I lived closer to Ludlow because the Stemwinder would be a regular stop for me!.
The Wine and Cheese Depot is attached to the restaurant. This is another fantastic place. The wine selection is superb and the cheeses are extraordinary!
The Stemwinder receives 5 stars and you should definitely try it!! Afterwards stop by the Wine and Cheese Depot and purchase wine to take home. You will be glad you did!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Intimate atmosphere with really good and different food. Such care was taken with building Stemwinder and the food fitts the atmosphere - unique! Small plates and good wines that are sure to please. A great casual addition to a great ski town.