“Charming and romantic New England inn / restaurant”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ludlow
Inn at Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 7 Ludlow B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Charming and romantic New England inn / restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I had dinner only at this charming inn and I was very impressed by the food, atmosphere and propieters Bruce and Tina. For $30 you get a four course meal! Make reservations as they do not take walk ins. Arrive at 6 for cocktail hour in the bar that was brought over from England. Dinner is served at 7pm. Bruce will be your bartender and server. Tina, his wife, is the cook behind the delicious food. When you make your reservations you also have to place your dinner order. There were three items to choose from, shrimp, duck, and Yankee pot roast. Dinners are simple, but good.

We didn't stay but spoke with others who did and they were very pleased.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

My wife and I have stayed a few times at the Inn in winter, and it is a charming and romantic getaway that is situated right on Echo Lake and that we always look forward to returning to. Since is it located just a short drive to both Okemo and Killington ski areas, I usually ski at both when we stay here. The ambiance is typical old Vermont style with oak ceilings, hardwood floors, and a beautiful old but fully restored bar originally from Europe. The living room just off the bar is large with a lovely fireplace, and has a pool table along with chess boards and many comfortable sofas and chairs. Another living room on the other side of the house is situated for just reading, using the computer or playing board games. The bedrooms have ample room and are very comfortable with new baths & gas fireplaces. Tina's meals are always excellent and Bruce is the perfect bartender/host with many good stories to tell. This is one Vermont Inn you'll definitely want to put on your travel list!
Phil & Barbara

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

During Hurricane Irene, we literally found ourselves stranded on Bruce and Tina's doorstep, as flood waters raged around us. They graciously took us in, although they didn't expect any guests for the weekend, and made us feel immediately welcome and at home. Bruce gave us a tour of this beautiful inn and all the amenities while Tina prepared our room.

The room was beautifully decorated, very comfortable and quiet. We were awed by the spacious public rooms and loved the full sized pool table. Although the Inn was cut off from any stores and Tina and Bruce had not planned on serving dinner to us and a dozen others likewise stranded, Tina whipped up a gourmet meal fit for royalty.

One of the best parts of our stay was the good-natured bantering between Bruce and Tina. They were funnier than a professional comedy team and helped make our stay a delight.

I would highly recommend the Inn at Water's Edge and if I find myself in Vermont again, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank June R
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

Room was tiny with only a single tiny window for ventilation. Spiders in the bathtub. Included breakfast only served from 8-9 a.m. (really? on Sunday??) with a preset selection.. mediocre. The husband served breakfast; unfriendly, bordering on rude - seems to resent running the inn.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VTNC_traveler
Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

Me and my family just returned from a wonderful week at the Inn and even rode out Hurricane Irene with Bruce and Tina. What a wonderful way to end the summer. First let me say that The Inn has NO damage whatsoever and the roads getting to the inn are fine. No issues coming from the south (NY/NJ) or from 91 (CT/Mass/RI). Let me be clear that not all roads are heavily damaged as the news media would have you believe. I came home yesterday (2 days after Irene) and made it home in record time. I'll be returning in three weeks for the delights of fall foliage season. There is no place as special as VT in the Fall (all seasons in my opinion).........so get up north and enjoy the breath taking foliage, towns, festivals and most of all people. I've never experienced such a wonderful feeling of community watching one look out for another during Irene. The Inn was a place of refuge for many who were displaced by Irene and Bruce and Tina did all they could to make sure their guests were safe, comfortable and with the most current/accurate information.

Now for the inn itself. I can only use the phrase "The Best". All told my wife and I have experienced over 40 B&B's in New England over the years..........including those in Cape May NJ, Newport RI, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Vermont, New York, New Hampshire and Maine. I can honestly say that the Inn At Waters Edge is the best of them all, hence why I've visited Bruce and Tina over 20 times in the last decade. The Inn is beautiful, absolutely spotless, cozy, charming and most of all , welcoming. You are always made to feel at home.

Bruce and Tina are one in a million, a very special couple. I not only consider them incredible inn-keepers but also dear friends who have always gone above and beyond to make my stays memorable. The location of the Inn is perfect, a few minutes to Okemo, downtown Ludlow.........only 25 mins to Killington............right on Echo lake complete with dock, boats and incredible peace. Each room has a personality of its own and comfort is top notch.

Value is also very high..........I challenge anyone to find a nicer place in a nicer location at a better price, especially when you consider some of the packages like Ski and Stay and Golf. It can not be beat, especially considering the beauty of the Inn, the incredible breakfast and dinner.......and what a round of golf or lift ticket goes for these days.

Doc's pub is fantastic and allows you to unwind with a drink (or 2) while sharing the experiences of your day before dinner which is always amazing. No need to go into town, just a few short steps from your room and you're in a vintage pub complete with see through fire place and pool table.

I will return to the Inn at Waters Edge again and again and enjoy the serene location, wonderful hosts and enchanting VT activities. I hope if you're reading this review you'll also visit and discover one of most special places I've ever experienced.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Marc P
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

Just returned from a week vacation of leaf peeping (seeing the fall colors) in NY and VT. Of all the Inns we stayed at this one was the most expensive.

The $$$ expensive part:
This was the only Inn to charge us a 15% gratuity on our FULL room price. Yes the room price. My room was $300.00 per night and they charged me another $45.00 per night service charge. So with taxes and service charges my room rate was $372.00. This included breakfast and dinner for two.

Now to be fair I knew they were going to charge that when I made my reservation. They also hit my credit card for the first night as soon as I hung up the phone from the reservation (so I fully knew what the cost was per night since the full $372.00 hit my card that day for the first nights deposit). Now when you think of the service charge it is crazy because, the average person leaves a room tip of $3.00 to $10.00 dollars per day for the maid. So $45.00 is a lot per day. Also when booking the room, you have no idea that the owners are the ONLY employees there. So as far as I can tell they clean the rooms, they make the breakfast, they make the dinner ($50.00 a night for two and well worth the money because Tina is a great cook, and that is INCLUDED in the room price paid) and they make the drinks at the bar too. Now I do not mind paying a service charge on the wonderful dinner. This would be tipping on $50.00 a night. So if the service charge on my room came to say $15 to $20 dollars a day, I would be happy with that, but the $45.00 a day is a bit too much.

If they want more money for the rooms they should just charge more. Now since they are the only workers I saw at the Inn that would mean the OWNERS are getting all the tips. That is very odd in my book. I just thought with a $45.00 service charge they would have a full staff to wait on you and wash the drinking glasses (see odd)

The ODD:
The oddest thing at this Inn was the fact that they did not have enough glassware for the guests at the bar. I had to use the same martini glass all day and night, I had three or four during that entire day and the glass had at least 16 lipstick stains of mine on it the last time the owner used it to make my last drink at 9:15pm. So the glass was gross. When the guest next to me asked for a Sambuca with coffee beans, the owner said I do not have any more glasses for that so you will have to have it in a rock glass. Now only four people were having that drink so that was crazy. Also the owner was happy to say that he got all his glassware from the dollar store. So at that time I asked, does that mean that when I order an expensive bottle of wine at dinner I will get a dollar store wine glass? He said YES. And ladies and gentlemen we did get dollar store wine glasses with our expensive bottle of wine at dinner. I asked the owner if he ever heard of Riedel wine glasses, he did NOT.

So I said look you could at least get some "nice wine glasses" for the guests that order a bottle of wine. He said they break too much. Some of the other guests heard what I said to him and they were glad I had the nerve to talk about that with him since they did not and they thought the glassware situation was odd too. He had no sink at the bar and he had to carry all the dirty glassware all the way back to the kitchen every night. That is the reason he had people reuse their glasses.

Now the price of the drinks were about $8.00 (so I do not know about you but I really do want a clean fresh glass each time and at that price it is crazy NOT to have a clean fresh glass. Oh and by the way, at 9:32PM when a guest wanted to shoot some pool in the bar area, he was told NOT to because it would wake up the owners wife. The guest could not believe his ears, NO POOL playing at 9:32PM. Why have a bar and a pool table if you have to be quiet at 9:32PM (I do think that the wife went to bed because she was not feeling well that day, but still the guests paid big money and a service charge to have fun on their vacation). The owner also told a little group who were talking and laughing loud to keep it down over there or else he would have to close the bar down for the night. OK I just had to LOL over that one. By 10:00 PM all the guests returned to their rooms. The next day all the guests were talking about that and just could not believe the stuff he had said and the glassware situation. That was our first night at the inn, needless to say our second night we did not visit the bar at all. I really did not feel like having to use my same drinking glass all night.

The small:
For the money I paid, my room was on the small side. I had room number 2. The bed was comfortable; there is no TV in the room. (I was ok with that) The Jacuzzi style whirlpool tub was just an average size tub with jets in it and only one person could barely fit. (So not worth the money) the fireplace was a click on gas variety.

The wonderful views of Echo Lake that I was suppose to see from this room could only be seen while sitting up on the bed. The windows were too high to see the view from a chair. You get two chairs in the room but they are really too crammed up in the room to be comfortable. You can only drink wine or beer that you bought from stores in YOUR room. Since there was no comfortable seating that left NO drinking wine in the room.

The owner told me there is NO drinking of any alcohol that you brought in yourself unless you stay in your bedroom. He told me this when I asked for ice.

The nice:
The owners are really nice people who do try to be kind. When the owner saw that it was raining out and going to rain all night long he asked my husband if we would like to put our bicycles in a warm dry place for the night. He let us put them in his heated basement so we did have dry bikes to ride the next day. The owners work very hard all day and night. They did make really great food for breakfast and dinner.

One other thing the Inn is on the market and I did not know that before I booked this vacation. I usually try to find out if a hotel or Inn is on the market because usually if it is you do not get good service or it is run down or the owners do not have their hearts in it any longer. With this inn I think that the owners try hard and work hard, but their hearts want to be in another State now. I mean they want the Inn sold so that they can move out of Vermont. If you read this review and you already booked the Inn, I can tell you that you will have a "nice" expensive time and it is clean. If you are reading this review and you have not booked yet feel free to write to me and I will answer any questions. I go to Inns almost every month so I can tell you about some really good ones for the price. If you read all the reviews of this inn you will see that only I talked about the glassware and the service charge. I have no idea why no one else wrote about it. I can tell you most of the people I talked to at the Inn were NOT going to come back again. But to be fair two families were there and they were repeat business. They both had children with them and one family had been there eight times already. Now the owner told me this was a "romantic inn" so I was so surprised to arrive and see a 14 year old and an 11 year old at the inn. (The kids were well behaved but still kids at an Inn?) Very odd.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank skipthelightfandango
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2009

The Inn at Water's Edge is a perfect weekend getaway! Bruce & Tina could not be better hosts, they are sweet, accomodating, knowledgeable about the area, everything you could ask for in innkeepers. We had so much fun chatting with them in the bar! The ski & stay package is a great deal! We had a comfortable, clean room along with 2 days of lift tickets, breakfast & 4 course dinners! We've skied a lot this winter throughout New England & this was by far our best value. Tina is a fantastic cook & the entree choices were great...something for everyone. We will definitely be going back; hopefully for fall foliage.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
#2 of 7 in Ludlow
Andrie Rose Inn
Andrie Rose Inn
#3 of 7 in Ludlow

Been to Inn at Water's Edge? Share your experiences!