“Zero Hospitality!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ludlow
Inn at Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 7 Ludlow B&B and Inns
Brownsville, Vermont
“Zero Hospitality!!!”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We live locally, and had been looking forward to trying the Inn at Water's Edge for some time. Our friends rent a seasonal house in the area, and we decided to meet them for drinks in the area, and chose the Inn at Water's Edge as a meeting place. We figured we would try the bar to sample the hospitality and service of the establishment, before we recommended that our friends & family stay there when coming to visit.

Without any further ado, I will tell you that the hospitality there was horrible. Terrible. Non-existant. We walked into the main lobby, found the bar, and greeted the barkeep. He notified us that he "was filling in for the regular bartender". I asked jokingly if he knew how to mix drinks (this was a Saturday night). He said, "if you tell me how to make them". In my opinion, this is not the person who should be standing behind the bar on a Saturday night during ski season. Figuring I should stay away from his mixed drinks, I asked about the beer selection. I didn't see any taps, so I asked if they only had bottled beer. He didn't know. Apparently there were some bottled beer, but he wasn't sure what was available.

My wife asked for a stout, and he said that he would ask the owner and be back with the answer. He also asked what room we were staying in. We notified him that we weren't guests of the establishment; we were just in for a drink. He stepped out to see the owner. While he was away, I was trying to think of a way that we could leave without being rude, since he was somewhere trying to fill our order. Luckily, he saved us from having to figure it out. He returned and informed us that we were not welcome at the establishment, since we were not guests. I was relieved. We stood up and left without looking back on that sorry excuse for a hospitality establishment.

I will never set foot in this property again, nor will I ever recommend that anyone that I know ever go there. The level of hospitality that we received for just trying to get a drink on a quiet Saturday night was laughable; I can only imagine what kind of service you would get if you stayed the night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New City, New York
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This was our first experience with a B&B, and we were unsure what to expect - we were pleasantly surprised! The room was immaculate and comfortable. Bruce was very engaging, and Tina made us feel like we were visiting a relative. Tina is an excellent cook; and the plentiful breakfast fueled us for a full morning on the slopes. The location was perfect - a very short ride to Okemo and to town. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and we hope to return next year.

Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I just returned from another wonderful escape to the Inn at Waters Edge and again I returned home feeling thoroughly relaxed. This was my 13th or 14th visit there and Tina and Bruce (the innkeepers) made me feel like I was visiting family. The skiing conditions were pretty poor at Okemo during this visit (one day rained out and the next day sub-zero), and we STILL had a great mini-vacation.
First the Inn itself is beautifully decorated for the holidays and immaculately clean. The fireplaced den is arranged with comfy leather couches so that everyone wants to "hang out" there or have a drink at the impressive wood/brass bar in the next room. This layout encourages everyone to meet and mingle, and soon stories are swapped, etc.
We've stayed in several different rooms, and while some are larger than others, all are squeaky clean with firm beds and luxurious bedding, and we've always had a Jacuzzi tub (so nice after skiing!).
The highlight is the great food. Tina pepares wonderful dinners and breakfasts; for example on this visit, one night I had a turkey soup course, a salad course, then grilled tuna with beans & potatoes, followed by coffee and chocolate cake. All delicious.
Tina and Bruce do everything possible to allow you to have a good time. On the afternoon we arrived, we borrowed the snowshoes and they directed us to a nearby state park to go snowshoeing. On the "rained out" day, they mentioned several options of local places to visit and our excursion to Hildene (estate of Robert Lincoln) was a hit. They could not have possibly done more.
I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

1 Thank Sampson76
Oyster Bay, New York
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Innkeepers Bruce and Tina make this a great place to have breakfast, dinner or stay in one of their 11 rooms. The cost is very reasonable whether it's for breakfast, dinner or a room - golf and ski packages! Have a glass of wine before dinner with Bruce as the entertainment and then have a gourmet meal provided by Tina and served by Bruce. Always great food and the presence of two wonderful interesting people, enjoy billiards-pool table or library after. This is in addition to the location on a beautiful little lake with canoes and chairs to view the water. The inn contains numerous artifacts and the library is everything you want. Altogether a comfortable enjoyable experience where we oberved they cater to special needs and is handicap accessible. Thank you Tina and Bruce

Room Tip: We ate here but never stayed in a room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gerry O
Lowell, MA
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We were looking for a single Saturday night stay to ski Okemo and were having trouble booking a stay in the area in advance. Most everyplace requires 2-night minimum on the weekend. Called Bruce and he made an exception. We're very glad he did. Our short stay was very enjoyable. The bar is a comfortable place to relax, dinner was exceptional, breakfast was great and the room was quiet. The wifi even worked in our room with enough bandwidth to stream video. We didn't know about the hot-tub and didn't bring swimwear...we won't make that mistake again.

Definitely recommend staying at the Inn. We're looking forward to our return.

1 Thank ebimbo
Jackson, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We arrived at the Inn at Waters Edge as strangers but left as friends! Bruce and Tina are wonderful hosts! I would highly recommend staying with them! Tina is a an amazing cook! My husband is a vegan and my daughter is a vegetarian. Tina was very gracious and accommodated both of their food needs. Tina and Bruce are both very delightful and easy to be around. They gave great information as to what to do and see in the area. We enjoyed our trip to Vermont and a large part of that was because of our gracious hosts! A real pleasure to know them!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tanga M
Jackson, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Bruce and Tina, the Inn Keeper’s at the Inn at the Water’s Edge in Ludlow, Vermont; are delightful. If they are both in the room and he starts a story, she will help with the details and if she starts one, he will do the same.

I teach at a University, so I am accustomed to reading reviews of my performance and I am often surprised students disliked me or the class, because as far as I can tell, I am perfect. I am sure Bruce and Tina cringe at the negative reviews, but those who have liked their stay – at the time of this writing, 23 out of 28 reviews are Excellent- so I would say they are largely pleased. My only negatives are the small size of room two, where we stayed, and the bed was tall for my wife to climb in an out of. Otherwise, we liked the room, and those are things Bruce and Tina would change if they could, but it is not easy to grow a room larger and I tend to like a tall bed, personally.

With the negative out of the way, I have a number of positive things to say. We usually stay at hotels, so we are not accustomed to entertaining and being entertained during a stay, and I can imagine it might become an annoyance, but not in this case, they are a joy and I came to look forward to the conversations.

I was concerned I might not be able to eat at the Inn since I am vegan, but Tina did a superb job of cooking for me. We ate five evening meals there and they were all terrific, as were our breakfasts. Tina said I was only the second vegan she had ever had, but she took it as a challenge and more than met it. She stuffed a zucchini, used small beans and chickpeas, served a light tomato sauce, mixed in some black rice, marinated tofu, and cooked quinoa - for the first time. If you’re vegan and looking for an Inn where eating is not an issue, this is your place! Tina even made a granola bag and placed it in our room, since we spent Christmas there.

When it came to our bill, I was pleasantly surprised at the total because our daughter – working a seasonal job in the area- had joined us for two nights, two breakfasts and two dinners. I am not sure they even charged us for her stay.

Book this place if you are going to the Okemo, Ludlow, Vermont area!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ludlow
Jackson Gore Inn
#2 of 7 in Ludlow
Andrie Rose Inn
Andrie Rose Inn
#3 of 7 in Ludlow

Been to Inn at Water's Edge? Share your experiences!