“Has gone down hill”

Ranked #15 of 25 Restaurants in Lyndonville
Montague, Massachusetts, United States
“Has gone down hill”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I would eat at The Lyndon Freighthouse while attending to business matters in the area. On our last trip up north we stopped to eat and we were very disappointed in our meal and the atmosphere of the place. You now order at the counter and someone will bring your meal to you when it's ready rather than a waitress taking your order. I'm not sure if there are new owners or had to cut back due to the economy but we don't eat there anymore.

• Visited November 2013

“Good service, Average food”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I'm not a fan of order-at-the-counter and wait. For one thing, paying up front limits the options should the food be uneatable and prevents one from adding the tip to the credit card account.

However, this wasn't the case here although the food was relatively unmemorable. Both my wife and I had a turkey sandwich, We both felt that it was "good" although I found the turkey a bit chewy.

The service from everyone I encountered was well done and there was none of the this-ain't-my-table, one gets occasionally in restaurants.

• Visited June 2014
Montague, Massachusetts, United States
“Under new management?”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The last couple of times we have been to The Lyndon Freighthouse was very disappointing. The food and service has gone down hill.

• Visited November 2013
Acton, United States
“An old favorite gone bad”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I have eaten here for many years during our excursions to the Northeast Kingdom. In the past we have enjoyed the burgers and salads and have always come away satisfied. Not this year. Sadly this place has lost sight of what made it a favorite. The first clue should have given me warning--all burgers are baked medium-well done, the menu said. That was a change from the past. The burgers when they were brought to our table were the consistency of a hockey puck--and a VERY dry hockey puck at that. Just a year ago we had ordered the same variety of burgers and been very satisfied. And--for a place that calls itself organic--they used to offer whole wheat or multi-grain buns--as another reviewer noted, the buns might have been from Arnolds---except Arnolds may be better!

A very very disappointing experience. I've actually recommended this place to folks in the past and will no longer do so. One wonders what went wrong--no decent chef? less staff? I can't believe they can survive for very long even in remote Vermont. Lyndonville is a college town, but I can't believe college students will eat those burgers!

• Visited October 2013
brattleboro, vt
“not as advertised”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We went there for a late lunch expecting organic farm fresh food, the salads were no more than packaged salad mix, thawed fruit and minimal ingredients. The sandwiches were no more than Arnold bread. As far as I could see I should have stopped at the grocery store and bought the same thing for much less and made my own. There was nothing organic or local on what we ordered. Will not go back.

• Visited August 2013