“Spectacular setting and cozy accomodations.”
Review of Wildflower Inn

Wildflower Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Lyndonville B&B and Inns
Boston
“Spectacular setting and cozy accomodations.”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed here to be centrally located to the Kingdom Trails Mountain bike trail system in East Burke. The inn fit the bill perfectly. The trails were close by and we had a "suite" room with plenty of beds for the four of us, and a washer/dryer in the room.

The room itself was pretty simple and nothing fancy, but for four mtn. bikers it was just fine. Breakfast was included the next day and everything was as nice as one could expect. I'm sure that they have nicer rooms than the one we stayed in, as the lodge had numerous buildings as part of the complex. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you want a simple room that is good for 4 or 5 mountain bikers, the Earl Brown suite is just fine...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank msg82256

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Ditto much of what is written. The people are so nice that I truly hope they read this and find a way to update them guest rooms and common areas. Whether you stay there, or somewhere else, a drive up the road reveals a spectacular view.

The room was large. Rustic is a good word for the collection of mismatched furniture, which seemed to suit the beadboard walls. Carpet was worn and stained. There was a small counter with sink and microwave that helped given few dining options in the area. The bathroom suggested a cleaning crew not familiar with all the areas of a shower and toilet that need to be scrubbed. The portable air conditioner was sufficient (though I was not in the room at all during the day). I am glad that I brought my own toiletries. I used their Wi-fi to tune into news and music since the clock radio could not reach any stations.

Breakfast was terrific. A delicious, healthy, cold buffet is more than most places offer alone. But then one orders from several delicious options on a menu of hot food. My business stay was pre-arranged are a rate closer to $100 for several weeknights when there were few other guests. My suggestion is to call and see if they will negotiate.

I will likely stay again for business (I can tuck a thicker towel in my suitcase). But I’ve also had the chance to book here again for a trip with family members who don’t have the tolerance for rustic. I didn’t take the chance. Missed the breakfast, but not the room.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank BMoreRose
Biddeford, Maine
Reviewed 16 September 2012

It happened just by chance in finding this quaint Inn up in the Northeast Kingdom region of Vermont, all for the celebration of my husband's birthday. A perfect way to disconnect from a busy world, with miles of hiking/biking trails, gorgeous views and friendly hospitality by the innkeeper Jim O'Reilly. That makes this a great place to stay for families and couples alike. Their restaurant, Juniper's at the Wildflower Inn is second to none! All the freshest ingredients made my husband's birthday meal a night to remember! We will definitely find a way to return to this magical place!

Room Tip: We were in the Carriage House with two small dogs. Unfortunately we could hear everyone around us a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LadyKMaine
Kansas City , Kansas, United States
Reviewed 13 September 2012

If you've ever wanted a vacation experience in the winter like in the movie "White Christmas", you have to go to Wildflower Inn. We took advantage of the Christmas package and were not disappointed. Be warned, however: If you have a teen (like we do), it was culture shock! No TV or telephone. For the parents, though, it was Heaven! However, once your teen starts looking around and gets out on the sledding hill behind the carriage house or goes for a sleigh ride, or tours the barn, or goes for a drive down Darling Hill Rd...well, you get the picture! I realize other reviews talk about the rooms and furniture showing their age. While this is true, for my wife and I, it simply added to the rustic charm of the place. And the food at the inn? Fantastic! In fact, I'm still looking for ways to incorporate maple syrup on my meat. If you do stay during the Christmas holiday, you have the special treat by picking out your own Christmas tree (already cut and ready to go) plus picking out your own decorations. Even our teen had fun trimming the tree.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
South Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We recently spent a Saturday night at the Wildflower Inn with our small dog. The rooms they have for pets are furnished with misc. tables that needed refinishing. The carpet was badly stained, there was mold around the tub, curtain rods were bent, wallpaper was peeling. There was no phone, TV or air conditioning, just small table fans. It felt like we had stepped into the "Bates Motel". For this we had the privilege of paying over $220. When we complained to the owner, he offered us the only other "pet" room available which was larger but not much better. You can see wonderful views all over Vermont's Northeast Kingdom. The Wildflower Inn was probably lovely in its heyday, but from the looks of things, that was many years ago.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank DaveCPhD
Burlington, Vermont, United States
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Just spent a few days at the inn. The location cannot be beat and the landscaping and appearance from the outside is lovely. Once inside though it becomes apparent that carpets are old, furniture is even older (and I don't mean "antique lovely"). Towels are very holiday inn type and the service was so so. Front desk was always very helpful but servers seem very untrained and even more unknowledgable. When I spilled my wine because of the intense fly swatting instead of saying "I will be right over to refiil your glass" it was instead" I will be back with a new napkin". Say what? Have to admit, I will however go back again but will try and and score and afford (not cheap) a better room in hopes of a little higher quality decor. If you can afford it Wildflower, just a few simple changes (carpets, dressers, tables) will make a huge difference! Still loved it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lovetogetaway1225
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Our experience is very much in line with many reviewers here: The location of this inn is absolutely phenomenal and the grounds are lovely, but the rooms themselves leave much to be desired.

Pros:
Spectacular setting
Easy access to fantastic mountain biking
Spacious room (did not feel cramped for our family of three)
Beautiful pool with plenty of lounge chairs surrounding
Inn area did not feel crowded
Great breakfast (buffet of cold items included yogurt, fruit salad, granola, bagels, muffins; then you also order a hot plate such as poached eggs with toast, blueberry pancakes, and/or oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins)
Patio seating for restaurant has a spectacular view
Friendly, helpful wait staff at restaurant
Short, low zip line is a unique feature on a playground and very fun (but too low for kids over, say, 10 or 11 years old)
Restaurant has good burgers, and is not too pricey if you stick to that side of the menu
Afternoon cookies and lemonade in the lobby is a nice touch

Cons:
1. The room really was pretty shabby. The carpet was stained, dirty, unsightly. Furniture was totally unremarkable and somewhat beat up. Bathroom was dingy. Low water pressure in shower. Housekeeping staff did not replenish toiletries as they do normally in hotels. In-room coffee/tea/sugar packets looked as if they had been handled many, many times. Towels were small and scratchy (especially at the pool, where they felt like sandpaper). Bed not particularly comfortable--more like a cheap motel bed. No air conditioner. No TV. Our room had no view to speak of. We spent $300 a night for this room, and I expect something a bit nicer at that price. (Another gorgeous inn just down the road offers beautiful rooms for $200 a night, with breakfast also included. The only difference is that the other inn doesn't have a pool or "family activities.") The room felt functional but not pleasant to spend time in.
2. The inn advertises itself as being a good place for mountain bikers and even offers mountain bike packages, but does not offer a place to securely store bikes out of the weather. We could not even find a bike rack. We noticed several bikes chained to lamp posts.
3. Advertised basketball court did not have basketball hoops. Huh?
4. The inn advertises itself as being a "family resort," but most kid-friendly amenities and activities were geared for very young children. My kid took one look at the shabby, sparse toys in the "playroom" and never returned. Movie nights featured cute G-rated movies that attracted only preschoolers. Have you ever tried to watch a movie in a room with unattended preschoolers? Even without a TV in our room, my kid quickly decided he wasn't interested in the movies either. The two activities we saw advertised also skewed young (one even had an age cutoff) and didn't interest my kid either. The basketball court wasn't functional, and the tennis equipment was horribly worn. No matter--the pool was splendid and kept my kid plenty busy when we weren't biking, but we don't need a "family resort" for that. We expected to be able to take advantage of a range of kid-friendly opportunities, and therefore felt disappointed.
5. Probably because of the above, there were a lot of very young kids at the inn. So, tantrums during dinner at the restaurant, chaos during breakfast at the restaurant, tantrums and shrieking at the pool.... I would have enjoyed the cheese and crackers offered in the lobby each afternoon, but after watching a 5-year-old lick her fingers and put her hands all over the entire block of cheese while cutting herself a slice, I decided a drink would suffice. And the hot tub has apparently been turned into a kiddie pool. I enjoyed smiling at babies and reminiscing about toddlers, but ultimately there was a LOT of little-kid action, and we found ourselves seeking quieter areas of the inn while we were on site. I mention this only as a heads-up to families considering the inn. If you have young children you will probably love it. But if you have older children (like over 8) and you're not there for biking or skiing, you might be disappointed by the activities offered.
6. Seems like they've given up on some things. The waterfall at the pool was never on during our stay. Despite lovely landscaping elsewhere, the many flowerboxes on our building were empty, making it look sad and neglected. The hot tub is not a hot tub.

Would I stay there again? Perhaps, but unless there were some sort of special rate, I would check availability at the inn just down the street first.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank M M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndonville
Burke Mountain Hotel & Conference Center
#1 of 5 in Lyndonville
Rabbit Hill Inn
Rabbit Hill Inn
#1 of 4 in Saint Johnsbury

Been to Wildflower Inn? Share your experiences!