“Wonderful, relaxing time for larger family”
Review of Wildflower Inn

Wildflower Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Lyndonville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2014

There are not many places that can comfortably accommodate a larger family with ease, but Wildflower in does so with panache. Our Grand Meadow Suite was clean, roomy and comfortable; slept 8 ( a bit snug for the growing teens, but an added cot made all the difference), had a full and well laid-out kitchen; and had two full bathrooms, washer/dryer. The bathrooms in our suite could use some updating but they were clean and worked so.... We did not go there for me to cook and clean with a view, but these "amenities" allowed us to easily make some of our own meals and keep food/clean clothes on hand. I totally agree with the other reviewers: the views are spectacular, the innkeepers and staff are super friendly and helpful, and the food was amazing. We all enjoyed biking, hiking, and horseback riding when we weren't lounging around the Inn. It was an exceptional time that brought everyone together, encouraged conversations and laughter (there is no TV), and made us all wistful for a return visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Wildflower Inn

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I went to college at Lyndon State a long time ago. I have such find memories and I brought my family (my two kids and my husband) for a quick sightseeing "walk back in time" trip. The problem with us is we have three dogs. A large white golden retriever and two small terriers. We love in Florida full time and so traveling a lot with three dogs is a challenge hotel wise. The wildflower is pet friendly and my dogs loved the property and told us they were never going back to hot Florida. The hotel offers many types of rooms. We stayed in a three bedroom unit. Perfect with A/C and micro and refrigerator! The views were priceless. Everywhere you look a postcard. My 15 year old went everyday and petted the horses, donkeys... No TV was great. I was relieved. The room had books and my husband would read excerpts from whatever and we all would laugh and have a "down home" chuckle. The food was phenomenal! And every afternoon a snack with the best cookies and/or Cabot cheese fresh lemonade and sweet tea. The dinners were perfection! The pool was a nice treat, but needs work. A new paint job and some small fixes. It was our home for two nights and I wish it could have been more. FYI - we were first in a suite that didn't have A/C, but after we were so hot I called up the front desk and they quickly moved us to a bigger unit that had A/C. All in all a beautiful place, nice staff, definitely worth the money!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We had a four day stay and really enjoyed the Inn. The view was absolutely stunning. My wife and I looked out our window and were amazed at the natural beauty of this part of Vermont. The two bedroom suite was nice, not as upscale as I would have expected, however it was fine and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast - and dinner - were very good. We played tennis, mountain biked, enjoyed the friendly horses and the overall property. Thanks for the afternoon cheese, chocolate chip cookies and iced tea. I would highly recommend this Inn. The pictures on this site say it all !

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Rathgar87
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The main reason to stay at the Wildflower Inn is the fantastic location and superb views of the rolling green Vermont hills. Practically every viewpoint is postcard-worthy! The second reason is the wealth of activities for all ages. The Inn's proximity to the Kingdom biking (or hiking) trails was
great. There's even a bike rental shop just across the road. Otherwise, there is a nice pool and lots of activities for the kids. So there is no shortage of things to do!

As far as the accommodations, we booked a room with two queen beds which was located across the street from the main Inn house. The room was very clean, albeit small, and the beds were quite comfortable. There is no tv in any of the rooms (or suites?). And while I understand that the reason for this is to allow people to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible, it would have been nice to watch a little tv before bed. However they do have an entertainment room in the main building with games, books and a tv and they feature a movie every evening for the kids.

Our stay included breakfast at the Inn's restaurant, Juniper's. The breakfast was a hot and cold buffet where they make the hot meals to order. They included delicious blueberry pancakes and sausages, omlet or eggs, homemade toast bread, french toast, etc. Everything was very good and fresh!

Overall, if you can find a good deal for a stay here, it is definitely worth it. They also have suites for longer stays.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the carriage house with two beds, ask for rooms on the second floor facing the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank daeva
Reviewed 5 April 2014

For nearly half a century now, I’ve booked stays at hotels, motels, lodges, bed & breakfasts, hostels, and other hospitality establishments in nearly a dozen countries on two continents. However, I have never managed to book a three-day stay that turned out to quite as disappointing, from a value received point of view, as the one I booked at the Wildflower Inn in Lyndonville, Vermont. It is not because the place is inherently deficient that I count it among the single most off-target bookings I have ever made. Rather, it is because I got the timing of my visit all wrong. I thought that the Wildflower Inn would be a lively place the first week of October when the fall colors were at or near their peak.

I thought there would be interesting things to do on the premises when we were not out pleasure driving, and I thought we’d be able to engage other guests in conservation. Silly me! Except for the breakfast and dinner hours, when people filtered into the dining area, the place was about dead as a doornail. During our three day stay we didn’t encountered a single guest -- not one -- who was interested in talking with someone other than their spouse or traveling companions. It was actually quite weird. Did the management screen guests for non-sociable dispositions? If so, they missed us.

Our Upper Meadow Room was surprisingly small and way overdue for updating. We found much to dislike about it, beginning with a wooden chair that quite literally fell apart when I sat in it. The room overlooked a pasture and offered a beautiful view of the mountains. However, the tiny westward-facing balcony was unusable due to the glaring sunshine and the room was so full of flies that I eventually gave up swatting them. There was no TV in the room, or anywhere else at the Wildflower Inn for that matter, so not even that distraction was available. Heck, there wasn’t even a daily newspaper provided for us in the commons area.

The food was a cut above, and the service was very attentive. But the true saving grace for Wildflower Inn at this time of year is the scenic landscape and the gorgeous fall colors of Darling Hill Road and the country roads of the Northeast Kingdom. Though not worth the price we were charged, the Wildflower Inn is a well located base from which to take brisk walks, bike rides, and leaf peeper drives. That said, we will not be back.

Room Tip: Avoid the Upper Meadow Room. If you have to stay there, be sure to bring a flyswatter..
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Citallwic
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This amazing scenery and location, with excellent amenities such as skating, sledding, and cross-country skiing, was only ruined completely for me by the paper-thin walls where one can hear each and every word from screaming kids and louder parents late at night and again early morning. Moreover, the staff were obviously sick of obnoxious guest and when I asked for a sled at the Nordic Center, they brushed me off saying "they are on the hill where people sled" waving his hand in an obscure direction and assuming I had actually BEEN THERE before, and he continued to abuse me saying, "the snow is white and the sleds are green -- you can do it." After finding the hill, I walked to the top only to find the sleds at the bottom. My room had a dirty, bottom of the line Home Depot shower with a stained floor and curtain. A Super 8 has nicer rooms. Way overpriced for the terrible room with paper- thin walls. But a great place if you have a pack of ill-behaved kids and come from Lynn, MA and relish dishing it right back at the hardened staff and owners who act as if they have put up with far more than one can bear from their guests. Dinner at Juniper's , however, was great. Great service and an excellent menu and meal.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else and eat at Junipers or ask to rent their skis for a day.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mary Jane M
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We just returned from our fifth stay at the Wildflower Inn in Lyndonville, Vermont and we can't say enough great things about the place. My husband and I usually spend a weekend in the spring or fall to take advantage of the mountain biking trails and decided to try a winter weekend. Hands down the location on Darling Hill with magnificent views of farmlands, near and far, takes first prize not to mention the accommodations that allow you to bring your dog. (dogs in our case) The atmosphere couldn't be anymore relaxing and peaceful! Grab your book and sit out in an adirondack chair watching the sunset or take a walk around the grounds and admire the beautiful gardens. Bring along your snowshoes and cross country skiis or for a bit more of an adventure rent a fat tire bike and ride along the mountain biking trails. The sledding hill, ice skating rink and animal barn added to the character of this property and families could enjoy a weekend stay with plenty to do. Breakfast, which is included in your stay, is more than plentiful with quite a variety from fresh fruit salad to homemade granola, eggs, pancakes, waffles with strawberries and whip cream just to name a few breakfast items. Dinner at Juniper's was excellent (as it always is) but make a reservation as they book up solid each evening. The enclosed porch for dining is quite picturesque overlooking the beautiful gardens or snow covered patio. We'll be booking a visit back for next season very soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 88Patty88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndonville
Burke Mountain Hotel & Conference Center
#1 of 4 in Saint Johnsbury
WilloBurke Inn & Lodge
WilloBurke Inn & Lodge
#1 of 5 in East Burke

Been to Wildflower Inn? Share your experiences!