“Not as good as it once was...”
Review of Wildflower Inn

Wildflower Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Lyndonville B&B and Inns
Harvard, Massachusetts
“Not as good as it once was...”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

This inn has totally slipped! This used to be a beautifully maintained inn with an unbelievable view. At least the view hasn't changed. We arrived and were happy we could check in an hour early but that's when our "happy" ended. Our room, the "family meadow suite" was not worth the money. Hole in the wall, torn carpet, peeling wallpaper, missing radiator caps, noisy fans, sheets that didn't stay on the mattress, dirty microwave and a refrigerator that didn't work (so they put another one next to the broken one!) This room felt more like a motel then an Inn. Breakfast was ok one day and not the next. Had to remind the server about our orange juice and also ask for coffee refills. Listening to the owner talk to another "guest" about an email she got wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear about at my breakfast, perhaps business could be kept outside of the dining room?! Overall an unhappy experience. Next time I'll spend my money on a nice hotel in a close town with an equally amazing view.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank ScalliDuke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The location is prime, for certain, however we found the room in the Carriage House was badly in need of work. The 'partition' dividing our ground floor unit from the next door one was flimsy and appeared to have been hastily installed. The front door stuck and was difficult to open. The vanity top in the bathroom was not attached to the cabinet below. The shower was tepid, with weak pressure. I would not recommend this facility at the prices charged.

Room Tip: Only experience Carriage House; would not stay there again.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony H
Reviewed 26 July 2014

There are not many places that can comfortably accommodate a larger family with ease, but Wildflower in does so with panache. Our Grand Meadow Suite was clean, roomy and comfortable; slept 8 ( a bit snug for the growing teens, but an added cot made all the difference), had a full and well laid-out kitchen; and had two full bathrooms, washer/dryer. The bathrooms in our suite could use some updating but they were clean and worked so.... We did not go there for me to cook and clean with a view, but these "amenities" allowed us to easily make some of our own meals and keep food/clean clothes on hand. I totally agree with the other reviewers: the views are spectacular, the innkeepers and staff are super friendly and helpful, and the food was amazing. We all enjoyed biking, hiking, and horseback riding when we weren't lounging around the Inn. It was an exceptional time that brought everyone together, encouraged conversations and laughter (there is no TV), and made us all wistful for a return visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I went to college at Lyndon State a long time ago. I have such find memories and I brought my family (my two kids and my husband) for a quick sightseeing "walk back in time" trip. The problem with us is we have three dogs. A large white golden retriever and two small terriers. We love in Florida full time and so traveling a lot with three dogs is a challenge hotel wise. The wildflower is pet friendly and my dogs loved the property and told us they were never going back to hot Florida. The hotel offers many types of rooms. We stayed in a three bedroom unit. Perfect with A/C and micro and refrigerator! The views were priceless. Everywhere you look a postcard. My 15 year old went everyday and petted the horses, donkeys... No TV was great. I was relieved. The room had books and my husband would read excerpts from whatever and we all would laugh and have a "down home" chuckle. The food was phenomenal! And every afternoon a snack with the best cookies and/or Cabot cheese fresh lemonade and sweet tea. The dinners were perfection! The pool was a nice treat, but needs work. A new paint job and some small fixes. It was our home for two nights and I wish it could have been more. FYI - we were first in a suite that didn't have A/C, but after we were so hot I called up the front desk and they quickly moved us to a bigger unit that had A/C. All in all a beautiful place, nice staff, definitely worth the money!

• Stayed July 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We had a four day stay and really enjoyed the Inn. The view was absolutely stunning. My wife and I looked out our window and were amazed at the natural beauty of this part of Vermont. The two bedroom suite was nice, not as upscale as I would have expected, however it was fine and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast - and dinner - were very good. We played tennis, mountain biked, enjoyed the friendly horses and the overall property. Thanks for the afternoon cheese, chocolate chip cookies and iced tea. I would highly recommend this Inn. The pictures on this site say it all !

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Rathgar87
Montreal
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The main reason to stay at the Wildflower Inn is the fantastic location and superb views of the rolling green Vermont hills. Practically every viewpoint is postcard-worthy! The second reason is the wealth of activities for all ages. The Inn's proximity to the Kingdom biking (or hiking) trails was
great. There's even a bike rental shop just across the road. Otherwise, there is a nice pool and lots of activities for the kids. So there is no shortage of things to do!

As far as the accommodations, we booked a room with two queen beds which was located across the street from the main Inn house. The room was very clean, albeit small, and the beds were quite comfortable. There is no tv in any of the rooms (or suites?). And while I understand that the reason for this is to allow people to enjoy the outdoors as much as possible, it would have been nice to watch a little tv before bed. However they do have an entertainment room in the main building with games, books and a tv and they feature a movie every evening for the kids.

Our stay included breakfast at the Inn's restaurant, Juniper's. The breakfast was a hot and cold buffet where they make the hot meals to order. They included delicious blueberry pancakes and sausages, omlet or eggs, homemade toast bread, french toast, etc. Everything was very good and fresh!

Overall, if you can find a good deal for a stay here, it is definitely worth it. They also have suites for longer stays.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the carriage house with two beds, ask for rooms on the second floor facing the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank daeva
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 April 2014

For nearly half a century now, I’ve booked stays at hotels, motels, lodges, bed & breakfasts, hostels, and other hospitality establishments in nearly a dozen countries on two continents. However, I have never managed to book a three-day stay that turned out to quite as disappointing, from a value received point of view, as the one I booked at the Wildflower Inn in Lyndonville, Vermont. It is not because the place is inherently deficient that I count it among the single most off-target bookings I have ever made. Rather, it is because I got the timing of my visit all wrong. I thought that the Wildflower Inn would be a lively place the first week of October when the fall colors were at or near their peak.

I thought there would be interesting things to do on the premises when we were not out pleasure driving, and I thought we’d be able to engage other guests in conservation. Silly me! Except for the breakfast and dinner hours, when people filtered into the dining area, the place was about dead as a doornail. During our three day stay we didn’t encountered a single guest -- not one -- who was interested in talking with someone other than their spouse or traveling companions. It was actually quite weird. Did the management screen guests for non-sociable dispositions? If so, they missed us.

Our Upper Meadow Room was surprisingly small and way overdue for updating. We found much to dislike about it, beginning with a wooden chair that quite literally fell apart when I sat in it. The room overlooked a pasture and offered a beautiful view of the mountains. However, the tiny westward-facing balcony was unusable due to the glaring sunshine and the room was so full of flies that I eventually gave up swatting them. There was no TV in the room, or anywhere else at the Wildflower Inn for that matter, so not even that distraction was available. Heck, there wasn’t even a daily newspaper provided for us in the commons area.

The food was a cut above, and the service was very attentive. But the true saving grace for Wildflower Inn at this time of year is the scenic landscape and the gorgeous fall colors of Darling Hill Road and the country roads of the Northeast Kingdom. Though not worth the price we were charged, the Wildflower Inn is a well located base from which to take brisk walks, bike rides, and leaf peeper drives. That said, we will not be back.

Room Tip: Avoid the Upper Meadow Room. If you have to stay there, be sure to bring a flyswatter..
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Citallwic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndonville
Burke Mountain Hotel & Conference Center
#2 of 5 in Lyndonville
Colonnade Inn
Colonnade Inn
#1 of 1 in Lyndonville

Been to Wildflower Inn? Share your experiences!