“loved it rooms PERFECT......”

The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
New York City, New York
“loved it rooms PERFECT......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

The Inn was just perfect everything about it , rooms perfect clean perfectly appointed ....dining room service was great and perfect as well , food just good has a little ways to go to meet up with the level of the Inn ...but still good and fresh and I would dine here again just not outstanding ...mediocre...Thanks again for a great stay ...must stay kind of place to just getaway for a day or 2 or a full week plus ..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marcusr83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed in July of 2011 and the rooms are clean and well designed. The inn itself is beautiful, with great views from the restaurant and the raw bar. The food is excellent and the menu has some diversity. Exceptional overall experience.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank BiggieA
new englanad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful weekend ata the Reluctant Panther for our 52nd anniversay. Everythilng about this inn is great. Our room was beautiful with a fireplace and huge bathroom. The women at the front desk was very helpful and brought us to the rooms available which we were able to picki out. The evening meal was delicious as the breakfast. Anyone who wants a special place to go do not hestitate to go here it is really wonderful.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank annetteNewEnglanad
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

Beautifully appointed annexe room - with more pillows and cushions than John Lewis Liverpool!! Disappointed that restaurant was closed to guests because of private function - a pre-alert would have been appreciated - as would some recommendations for local restaurants or even an offer to make a reservation. It's also closed on a Sunday night so we only got to sample the breakfast, which was lovely in a gorgeous dining room. It was, however, our good fortune to find a fantastic local Irish pub, Mulligans - brilliant food and first class conviviality. We dined there both Saturday and Sunday evenings and it's walking distance from the 'Panther'.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Emdicay
Smithtown, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

The hotel itself is very beautiful. Everything was VERY clean and I am very picky about that kind of thing. We were in the Primrose room and it was beautiful. The grounds were also very pretty and well-kept. We enjoyed the pond in the back with the singing frogs at night.

I had a lot of problems with noise though. I think the major issue is that this room is a short hallway away from their resturant. Not a great idea especially when they don't have doors to the restaurant. They had a private event going on the first night of our stay and the noise from the party went on until after midnight. I could hear everything. Also, our bathroom shared a wall with the inn entrance so every time someone walked in and out (which was quite often with the party), we'd hear the bang and our entire bathroom would shake. I was afraid the mirror on the wall would fall off! We could also hear the people above us walking around and others on the stairs outside our room. The final straw was on Monday night when the restaurant reopened. They play jazz music in the restuarant, but there was also a speaker in the hallway right outside our room! We had to crank the TV volume to drown it out. I felt bad complaining again, but by 11pm, I couldn't take it anymore and had to call the front desk and ask them if they could at least turn off that speaker. They seemed surprised that there was a speaker in the hallway, which we found odd.

The staff was very nice, but I was disappointed that they didn't seem too concerned about our complaints. The first woman I spoke to was very nice, but no offer was made by the hotel to try to make up for it. I even hinted I was willing to downgrade my room in order to move away from the noise. I think at this price piont, they should have done or said something. Not 4 or 5 star quality behavior.

We ate breakfast and dinner at the restaurant and it was average. 3 stars at best. A full breakfast was included, which was nice. The dinner wasn't bad, but not something I would run back to. They offered an amuse-bouche as part of the pre-fixe dinner which was a nice touch, but it was also average. Service here was very friendly as well.

This place is worth a try, but only if you try a different room...one on the second floor and NOT near the lobby/restaurant area.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank memi29
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

Our stay the Reluctant Panther, otherwise known as the "Big Cat" was absolutely fantastic. It was total luxury in a laid back atmosphere. The hotel lobby and rooms were stunning, breakfast was delicious and the staff was nicer to us than most of our family. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Buy one of their package deals!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JasonWBowman
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

We booked one night in Manchester as the precursor to visiting an elderly parent in New York. The night at the panther was to get me in an appropriately tolerant frame of mind.

The inn is small, tranquil, and lovely. Our room was incredibly large (a deluxe room in the main inn), and the gas fireplace was a treat. The bed was heaven, although I had trouble finding my husband at times ....

We had a lovely dinner, with a server (sorry, I forget her name), who was attentive without being either pompous or intrusive: just the right touch. Since there were relatively few guests (this being mud season in Vermont), the room was soothing, quiet, and just what the doctor ordered. My blood pressure dropped 30 points from the city.

The food was very good - although the 3 course dinner was more than we could eat (shame on a reviewer who said the portions were small: really? really? we couldn't finish it all.) And the breakfast was so nicely done and plentiful that we skipped lunch completely the next day.

Sigh. It was only one night. But one of those places you could move into for a month and be completely content. If not, I suggest therapy. Just not with me.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple