“Absolutely first class”

The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I had an absolutely first class experience at the Reluctant Panther......nothing was missed in making our experience memorable.....beautifully decorated room....staff that went the extra mile and a wonderful breakfast included with a menu with choices for everyone

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I couldn't even get past an inquiry into making a reservation for my one year anniversary. I've never experienced a less accommodating hotel venue. I wanted to purchase a package deal and was told they had no superior rooms to honor that rate. The front desk person mentioned it would be roughly $100 extra to reserve the room at the deluxe level which I would have gladly paid. However, I went onto Expedia and saw the superior rate was listed at $199/night, so of course I thought it was now available. My mistake was calling back to ask about the discrepancy. I should have hit the submit button after I entered in my credit card information. Like Melinda at the front desk said, if I had they would have to honor it. She mentioned telling her boss so that it could be removed and fixed. I then asked if they would just honor the upgrade for the package since technically I could have bought the superior room via Expedia. Melinda then put her boss Karen on the phone who was extremely unprofessional from the start of the conversation. I felt hostility from her instantly. She didn't even introduce herself as a manager and instead just picked up and said,"Hello, this is Karen" as if I was supposed to know Karen was the manager. Anyway, that's besides the point. She went on to say that the superior room was already bought via Expedia so it was no longer available. Ummm, yes, because I informed you of the glitch and your front desk person mentioned she would have to tell you to fix it. She said Expedia takes a few minutes to refresh. Meanwhile, in that span of time the room disappeared. Even if, for argument sake, someone did buy it right then and there, my conversation with Melinda about the superior room had taken place 20-30 minutes prior. I highly doubt that Expedia takes a half hour to remove a purchased room. I kindly asked if they could just upgrade the package since they had no superior rooms and it does say complimentary upgrade under the package (of course I know that's based on availability on the day of). I just thought that because I had done the nice thing of giving them a heads up, that it wouldn't be a big deal. She then went on to reference an earlier inquiry I had made with Melinda about a certain tub they had in a photo and me wanting to perhaps bring a pet (it does say they're pet friendly so inquiring about pet rates and such isn't all that far fetched). Karen said in a very nasty and condescending voice, "My concern is that you're bringing a pet and also want a certain tub that's not available in a pet friendly room." At they point I was done. I told her I wasn't even sure if I was going to bring my dog...that was merely "an inquiry." I didn't even get to my next point regarding my flexibility on the tub because I was extremely fed up with the lack of hospitality from a so-called manager working in the hospitality industry. I work for a high-end retailer and know the meaning of customer service. Clearly, the people at the Panther Inn are lacking the basics. I can't believe I was made to feel so upset when planning something like a one year anniversary should be enjoyable. Thanks, Panther Inn for your great customer service! I will make sure to let others know about your superb hospitality.

Room Tip: Make sure not to ask questions or make any inquiries because it could be used against you,
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank travelingdaisy
Karen S, General Manager at The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

I regret that our conversation was upsetting and we were unable to meet your expectations for a last minute getaway. Part of our boutique hotel experience is attention to detail. You had mentioned in your previous phone conversations with our front desk staff that you liked a specific bathtub style and that you were considering bringing your pet. All of our rooms are unique, some have tubs and others have jacuzzis and, unfortunately, not all are suitable for pets. We share your frustration we couldn’t find a room that met your needs.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Folks, this place is Luxury with a capital L- for sure. I arrived and had been upgraded to a deluxe room- and it was amazingly deluxe. Huge king bed with the softest sheets I'd ever experienced. Soft and heavy duvet cover you jut want to wrap yourself in. In the imiddle of my room was a two-side gas fireplace with a sitting room on the other side. It amounted to a large amount of square footage and I was in a corner room. Lots of lights and windows. Bath was spacious with a huge jacuzzi (i had an amazing bubble bath!0. Super clean and everything is just where it should be....For example, the outlets are just where you want them, there is a wine opener and glasses, a Keurig machine, free wi-fi in the rooms, plush robes, solid coffee mugs, a makeup mirror, great toiletries....Turndown service includes a little tray with sweets. They'll bring anything to your room you'd like.... a glass of wine, a cheese tray-- anything to make you happy. Breakfast is included and was out of this world- cooked to order- no cold buffet here. This is a place to pamper yourself. And it's all just minutes from the great factory outlets in this charming village of Manchester Vermont. I can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Spend a few extra dollars to get a deluxe room- it's worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Localgirl0330
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our room - The Library - was easily the most comfortable and delightfully appointed room we stayed in on our three week vacation. The staff were all professional and courteous, but it was the room and the food that really blew us away. Breakfast is good, but it is Dinner which really set the standard. A lovely bar area, and a lovely location added to the stay at this glorious property.

Room Tip: The Library - exceptional
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We just arrived home from a two night stay in the lovely Fallen Spruce Suite. We were there to celebrate my 50th birthday. Unfortunately, our first night there, I found myself extremely sick at 3:30 am and had absolutely no relief for the rest of our stay. In the room and bathroom was not the way I expected to spend my vacation :-(. However, the hotel, service, staff, and food were outstanding. Even in my lousy state and mood, I could find nothing to be cranky about. I do have 3 recommendations - grab bars in the tub/shower would be extremely helpful. The tub is deep and you need to really lift your legs to get in and out possibly causing someone to lose their balance. A full length mirror would be nice - maybe on the back of the closet or bathroom door. And, new w2w carpeting in the bedroom, it definitely is showing some wear and the area rug in front of the fireplace doesn't lay flat on it, making for a serious tripping hazard (especially in the middle of the night). Overall, definitely a 5* stay regardless of my miserable condition.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We got a great deal on a room for 2 nights midweek, including 2 lift tickets at Bromley. We were upgraded to the next level room upon arrival. Unfortunately I cannot remember the type of room, but it was very spacious and had a couch and gas fireplace. The breakfast was great, and everyone was very nice. This is the second time we have stayed here during ski season.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I can't say a bad thing about the Panther. My room was upgraded because I had joined, for free, SLH.com. It was beautiful and the staff was fantastic! Ate breakfast there every morning and it was amazing, perfect way to start the day. Had dinner there twice and it was the best meals I had while in VT. Perfectly situated in Manchester, near the Equinox but away from the shopping crowds. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends