“Pleasantly Surprised”

The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 February 2014

After reading all the reviews about the resort, I was a little hesitant about our stay and had really low expectations. My husband purchased a Groupon as part as a Christmas give for a Queen Room in the Townhouses, but once we arrived we were upgraded to a room in the Main Building. It was a great. The room was spacious and was all we really needed for our 2 night snowboarding getaway. My only complaint about the room was there was no mini-fridge. I had brought some dairy-free milk for the weekend and I had to keep it in a small ice bucket in every attempt to keep it cold.

Our first night there we ate at The Marsh Tavern. It was okay, it wasn't horrible either. They had a great selection of Craft Beers in bottles and on tap, which my husband thoroughly enjoyed.

The next night we took advantage of the shuttle service the hotel offered and they drove us to a local restaurant/tavern to have some dinner and some drinks. It was nice to know we could have a few cocktails and not have to worry about navigating our way back to the hotel!

Check out was simple and easy. They even offered us a box of fresh sugared donuts for our ride home.

One other small complaint is the building is a little loud, but I think its because its an order building. Creeky stairs, floors, and somewhat thin walls. I don't think it took away from our experience though.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed 1 February 2014

It seems they can't get their act together at Starwood on these Luxury Collection properties. It's the catch-all for quirkier ones that are fairly independent and with no brand standards. While that could be an opportunity for some cool properties, i often find it is not. I am actually going to switch to Marriott after 8 years of Platinum Elite status with Starwood. Nothing egregious here, but just not blown away and no service as an Elite which therefore makes it useless to even have. My list of grievances:

We were told the room would be ready by a certain tme and it wasnt until 2 hours later. 2 young kids in tow.
The pool is in a separate building requiring you to go outside in the cold. It is a big warehouse structure and a bit unpleasant. The family lockerroom is WAY too small.
The rooms are small, i reserved 2 queens, was told there was an issue with that room and would be upgraded to a deluxe king with fold out couch and instead we were dumped into a miniscule king room where we had to cram a roll away bed and crib.
The staff was overwhelmed due to the busy holiday weekend and service response rate was pitiful - in the breakfast restaurant, answering the phones, etc.
No response from the staff when i voiced my disappointments. Shrug.
The food and beverage offering is not impressive and the property is isolated from town.
The public spaces are not impressive and were thronged with people, no quiet places for a chance for some respite.
Perhaps this property is better in the summer.

My gold standard for this type of resort remains the Omni Bedford Springs Hotel in PA, this one diesnt even come close.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
MarkONeillGM, General Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Good Evening,

Thank you very much for your comments concerning your recent stay with us. We do strive to ensure that every guest has a wonderful experience when staying with us and I am very sorry to hear that you did not. It is important for us to hear back from guests in an attempt to pinpoint areas that may need our attention. Please feel free to contact me directly so that we go over your experience and hopefully we can restore your faith in our resort.

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

The room next door was like they were in the same room with us and LOUD! The only thing separating us was a single door. And the front desk called this an upgrade. Don't ever stay in the Orvis House room 603. I will never stay here again. The hype of a resort is a joke.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Albany_NYCaper

Good Evening and thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry to hear that you did find your time at the Equinox to be peaceful and realxing. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I ate at the Marsh Tavern. The service was outstanding - professional and well-trained, and not afraid to make recommendations.
The food, however, had a number of misses. The black kale salad was excellent and the macadamia nuts and cheddar cheese perfectly complimenting the house salad dressing and kale. The homemade pasta was undercooked and exceedingly salty. The salmon was undercooked and translucent in the center. When entrees are in the $32-$40 range, proper preparation should be an assumed. Unfortunately, it cannot be at the Marsh Tavern

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am so sorry to hear about your experience in the Marsh Tavern and can assure you that I am looking into this. I am thrilled that our staff was so attentive and able provide such a personalized service. It’s having such a caring team that truly sets us apart. I look forward to your next visit at the Equinox!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We are currently staying at the Equinox for a weekend getaway. The setting couldn't be lovelier and the staff are friendly and helpful. Our first room was a little noisy from street traffic and they immediately switched us to a less noisy room. The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. They have many places to sit and snuggle by a fire throughout the hotel. There is a Tavern great for lunch. The Colonnade couldn't have been a lovelier breakfast spot complete with both buffet and individual service. Everything very fresh and delicious.
We will be using the spa a bit later.
I would have given this an almost 5 but there are a few minor housekeeping issues that should be addressed like the grout in the tub. Nothing major but overtime if not attended to things slip.
I should also mention that they have a shuttle service which takes people to various restaurants which is indeed an excellent service.
I would not hesitate to come back.
Ps. They are dog friendly!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

A wonderful experience! The combination of a great exercise facility with the winter comfort of reading quietly by the fireplace with the wind howling outside was wonderful! Can't wait to do it again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We had a slight mix-up with the bedroom but it was handled excellently by staff and we were made feel very special! The staff were both professional and cool, i.e. they were genuine as opposed to the fake friendly you get in some places.

I have to dock one star because the hot-tub wasn't working. Everything else was perfect.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#2 of 2 in Stratton Mountain
Olympia Lodge
Olympia Lodge
#4 of 17 in Manchester

Been to The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!