“Loud, loud, loud. More Motel than Historic Inn with charm”

The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersGold level
“Loud, loud, loud. More Motel than Historic Inn with charm”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I will say this for 9 out of 10 employees we encountered were warm, eager to help and competent. But that hardly compensates for the nearly constant noise we experienced all day long in our room. My daughter and I were lodged in a first floor room where there is a constant stream of children and adults who thought nothing of screaming to a family member right down the hallway, or stomping in the room above. There was a pre-recorded message from the GM or Ops Director reminding guests that it's an older structure, noises travel and to refrain from conversations in the hallways between 9 pm- 6 am. Clearly, most guests did not listen to it or heed it. We requested a "quieter room" and were moved next to the Main Street and a family with 4 teenagers squeezed into a room with a king bed and rollaways. I thought it was a cruel joke.

The pool was a nice amenity and set hours just for adult swim. But i could hardly believe there was actually garbage (small plastic drinking cups) at the bottom of the pool at 9 am! There were cubbies but no lockers in the family changing room. Lockers available in the spa locker rooms - only accessible to guests 16+
We made it work but I thought, "Gee how hard us it to install lockers in here?"

The Equinox markets itself as "luxury." The sink drain ran slow, the toilet wad not fully cleaned, the HVAC was loud, and the tv remote's batteries were dead. These may sound minor and to be fair, at a modestly priced hotel I would say fine, whatever. But to truly be a luxury chain like a Four Seasons or Ritz, these things have to be perfect. Even Kimpton Hotels - a lower/ non-luxury chain- is impeccable.
Fortunately for the Equinox, most of their people couldn't do enough to help. A couple if the concierges seemed to struggle concealing their disdain for answering questions - not just mine- I overheard it walking by the desk. On the other hand, requests to borrow a sled and crayons were met with smiles and enthusiasm. (Thank you, Astri and Richard!) A housekeeping supervisor Mike left extra chocolates at turn-down service when I mentioned the slow drain. The bartender gave my daughter extra cherries in her Shirley Temple... Sweet and kind gestures that meant a lot to me at the time.
Unfortunately, I will probably not stay at the Equinox on a trip to Manchester again. All the kind people in the world can't make up for a lousy three nights' sleep.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank PTWMsMom
MarkONeillGM, Manager at The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you so much for offering your review of our property. Your constructive feedback about your visit with us is significant as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention. I am so glad to hear that you found our staff to be warm and accommodating. We are quite fortunate to have great staff on property that focus on creating a warm and friendly environment for our guests.

I am truly sorry to hear about the challenges you experienced with the noise during your stay. We try to have a balance between creating a relaxing atmosphere for our guests while also being a family friendly resort that welcomes families of all sizes. This seems to be an occasion where we were not able to do that effectively for you and I am very sorry. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can discuss your experience further and so that we may restore your faith in The Equinox Golf Resort and Spa.
Stephanee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed for a long weekend in early February and had a wonderful relaxing time. Classic New England charm. The room had a great view of the mountain. Fireplaces blazing during the day and evening. Great to hang out with a cocktail or a book. The outdoor firepit was lovely, only disappointed it closed Saturday night. We were only a short walk across the courtyard to the heated pool and hot tub--fun for a snowy day. I was fortunate enough to get a spa treatment--Theraputic Massage--it was one of the best I've ever had. Near to great outlet shopping. Bonus is that the hotel offers car service to area restaurants--we could have a bottle of wine with dinner and worry about getting lost on the dark roads on the way home. My only complaint is that the neighbors were early risers (skiiers) and kept letting their door slam as they made a dozen or more trips in and out of the room. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a view and if you plan to swim, one with an exit near the pool room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Our first trip with our 1 year old....couldn't have gone better. We had a great stay at the Equinox. First of all, Manchester is a beautiful area of Vermont. Easily top 3 places to visit in the state. The resort is beautiful. Classic, understated elegance. Very comfortable luxury. We stayed utilizing some level of Starwood status (I say "some level" because we have much higher status with Marriott and relatively low with Starwood). We booked a room in the Charles Orvis Inn utilizing points + $$$; it was a great deal. When we checked in they upgraded us to a multi-level suite in the main building (room 301). It was 1.5 bath, w a dining room, wet bar, etc. Great room. Super comfy bed (I assume they all are here). Great view of the back portion of the property. A little hard to manage the baby in that much space but that's hardly a complaint (for any relatively new parents, I recommend bringing outlet plugs on vacation). Just a great room though. We had apps and kids menu, plus room service first night (all terrific), and then dinner in the Marsh Tavern night two (outstanding). Also breakfast in the Colonnade both mornings (buffet was tremendous), and a nightcap in the Falcon Bar along with gourmet chocolates. All the food was better than we'd even expected. Special thanks to Sharon in the Colonnade and Steve in the Marsh Tavern. They took great care of us, remembered our names and our baby when we returned (gave him a little toy, etc). While ALL of the staff was great, they stood out just a little extra (and our thanks for adding to our visit). We utilized the pool a great deal; beautiful space and so relaxing. Never over-crowded even though by Saturday afternoon the resort was pretty busy. Just a spectacular stay. Also, my wife had a massage in the spa; said it was the best she's ever had. Here are my MINOR quibbles: the mini-fridge in our room was extraordinarily loud. Plus, it was balanced on cut pieces of sheet rock. That's just weird. We unplugged it so we could watch TV(it was shockingly loud) and at a resort this nice, I just don't see EVER having an appliance balanced on blocks of wood etc. Second, overall the furniture in the room was quite nice, but the couch had a rip in it and it wasn't very comfortable. I'd swap it out for something comfy. Third, and this is the most minor of minor and it's just suggestion. In the Falcon Bar, one of the cocktails is the "Bud Sazerac". It's Canadian Whisky, Maple, Orange Bitters, and an Orange slice. My MINOR question is...why? Make it a Vermont cocktail. Whistle Pig Rye Whisky, slice of orange, Vermont maple syrup, and to get a little interesting, chocolate bitters...it would just make more sense to me. Obviously when that's the type of "complaint" you know you had a great stay. It was so good we almost booked our next trip before leaving. As it stands, we'll probably have a return trip late spring, and it will be booked soon. Can't wait.

Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We had a fantastic stay once again over Christmas break with our family and friends at the Equinox. We are always impressed with the superb service of this hotel. Upon arrival on a cold December night, we are immediately greeted and helped to our connecting rooms in the Main Building. The rooms are alway very clean, large and comfortable. In addition to the easy access to both Bromley and Stratton Mountain for skiing, we always enjoying coming back to the hotel for great food in Marsh Tavern or the Chop House, a relaxing massage in the spa or a swim the indoor pool/outdoor jacuzzi. Summers are fantastic as well!!!! We go back year after year. Richard at the concierge desk is so helpful with all of our reservations around town. We highly recommend the Equinox any time of the year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Spent a couple of days with my husband and children. We stayed in the Charles Orvis Inn, which was lovely. We had a beautiful suite with a full kitchen. jacuzzi tub. Comfy bed, nice bedding. Clean and wonderful. The staff was incredibly accommodating. Whatever i asked for was delivered, rapidly. The pool area was a 3 minute walk outdoors - which I was concerned about, turned out to be just fine. The pool area is HUGE. the pool is at least 75 ft long, well maintained including handicap accessibility. Hot tub is just out the door near the pool area. My kids loved being in the hot tub surrounded by snow and ice. I didn't have a chance to utilize the spa services, but other guests raved about their services. The gym was great as were the sauna and steam rooms. All in all, wonderful family getaway. Definitely planning to do that again.

Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This was our 2nd year going to the Equinox Resort for our kids school weekend school trip We arrived for Saturday night and departed on Tuesday. They offered us a small discount for the travel industry employee. We had a little Super Bowl gathering on Sunday night in a private back room. There was about 40 people total in the room. They did not seem to have enough help to handle the party's needs . Our table had 10 people seated and only 7 meals came out in a timely fashion . For the level of service they charge for, the level of service in the dinning room should be better.The wait staff had trouble remembering who had ordered what drinks.There is room for improvement at the property in the dinning area.

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for offering your feedback about your most recent stay here at the Equinox. Your constructive feedback about your visit with us is significant as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention.

I am sorry to hear about the challenges that you experienced with our service during the Super Bowl gathering. This was certainly not the experience that we hope for our guests to have. I would like to hear more about this. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we may discuss the challenges that you experienced and see if there is anything that we can do to restore your faith in The equinox Golf Resort and Spa.
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 February 2014

After reading all the reviews about the resort, I was a little hesitant about our stay and had really low expectations. My husband purchased a Groupon as part as a Christmas give for a Queen Room in the Townhouses, but once we arrived we were upgraded to a room in the Main Building. It was a great. The room was spacious and was all we really needed for our 2 night snowboarding getaway. My only complaint about the room was there was no mini-fridge. I had brought some dairy-free milk for the weekend and I had to keep it in a small ice bucket in every attempt to keep it cold.

Our first night there we ate at The Marsh Tavern. It was okay, it wasn't horrible either. They had a great selection of Craft Beers in bottles and on tap, which my husband thoroughly enjoyed.

The next night we took advantage of the shuttle service the hotel offered and they drove us to a local restaurant/tavern to have some dinner and some drinks. It was nice to know we could have a few cocktails and not have to worry about navigating our way back to the hotel!

Check out was simple and easy. They even offered us a box of fresh sugared donuts for our ride home.

One other small complaint is the building is a little loud, but I think its because its an order building. Creeky stairs, floors, and somewhat thin walls. I don't think it took away from our experience though.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple