“Awesome Stay Once Again!”

The Inn at Ormsby Hill
Ranked #2 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
New York
“Awesome Stay Once Again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

This past weekend my significant other and I spent a very romantic weekend at this decadent bed and breakfast just outside Manchester , Vermont. The innkeepers Ted and Chris are very accommodating and pay special attention to little details, that make you feel like they went out of their way to make you comfortable. In addition to our beautiful and spacious room, we also had a wonderful jacuzzi and fireplace too. In addition, we also had an in-room massage for two (1/2 half hour each and we paid extra for this) which was outstanding!!!!!! We had the fire going while we had our private massuse sp(?) and Chris brought up and lit a homemade heart candle, which was part of the special, along with ,tea ,and special cakes for our enjoyment as well.... Chris outdid herself again with her decadent breakfasts the both nights we were there. Unbelievable!!!!! I expect nothing less from this fabulous bed and breakfast though as I've been to this inn several times over the years and NOPLACE, I mean noplace (bed and breakfast inns that is ) compares to it.....

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2009

My 2 sisters and my 81 year old mom decided to take a leisurely few days and stay at the Ormsby Inn, since we had stayed there many years ago we were familiar with it. Unknown to us the Inn had changed hands. I have to start with the positive. The Inn is very nicely decorated, everything has a place, it is extremely clean and well kept which is very important to me and my family. We rented 2 rooms, the Thompson Purdy and Pierrepont. Both rooms were nicely appointed, flat screen TV, oversized jacuzzi tub and fireplace. The shower is separate and pretty small. The bathroom itself was very roomy . Upon arrival we had cookies and tea or hot chocolate which was a nice touch. Now for the not so good.....In booking this Inn, I corresponded with the owners, Ted and Chris via email. We emailed back and fourth a few times deciding on which rooms to rent since we had a budget to work with. We wanted to make sure we got 2 rooms, each with a King size bed which we did end up getting. Living in the North Country (Queensbury, NY) we certainly understand that the weather can be an issue when planning anything in the winter months. When I booked the rooms, I specifically asked Chris what their cancellation policy was. Chris kind of hemmed and hawed about what the policy was and I asked that if we had a snow storm could we reschedule and she said well if we get a big snow storm.....and that was the extend of the cancellation policy conversation. Low and behold, the day we were to leave it was predicted that we were to get 8 inches of snow. I am 49 years old and am not comfortable driving my family over an hour away in a snow storm. I did what I thought was the right thing. I talked with my sisters and we all agreed that we did not want to chance driving over an hour to get to Vermont. So I called the Ormsby to let them know that we may want to reschedule our trip and spoke to Ted. I told him that the weather didn't look good for travel and we were coming over an hour away. The roads we have to travel are extremely curvy and trecherous on a good day and traveling these roads in snow would be extremely dangerous and I didn't feel I wanted to risk it. Ted argued that we were only supposed to get a little bit of snow and that people travel in snow all the time to get there. I again explained that I was not comfortable driving in the snow even though others were. I asked if we could reschedule our stay ASAP and he said he would not issue a refund. I told him I wasn't asking for a refund I was asking to reschedule to a better day. He said that it wasn't my decision to reschedule it was his decision if I was to reschedule. I argued back stating that since I was driving it WAS my decision to reschedule. He said he couldn't rent the rooms in this short amount of time. I responded by saying of course you can't rent the rooms. There's a snow storm coming! I told him I would take one last look at the weather at 6 PM that evening to see if the weather had changed to more favorable conditions and call him back. He said I could call but I was wasting my time. He ended the conversation by stating he had to cook breakfast and practically hung up on me. Later that evening my sister called and spoke to Chris, his wife. She was kind on the phone and said we could change our reserverations for the next day and stated that they had another couple coming from further away and they didn't cancel. I My sister stated that we weren't comfortable driving in the snow. We agreed to delay our stay by one day since the roads would be clear by then. Now I don't know about you, but anyone who tells me that I don't make decisions about driving in a snow storm is nobody I want to do business with. I was appaled that he could be so unaccomodating and sharp on the phone. It wasn't like the Inn was full. They appeared to only have one or two other couples staying there at the same time we were there. So it wasn't like they had others waiting for rooms. Infact with the slow economy, we got a deal on the rooms. We got the second night free. In closing this review, I have to say that this Inn was very pleasant to stay in.. If only the owners were more people friendly. The rest of our stay was nice. The breakfast was wonderful. I gave the Ormsby Inn a good rating since the Inn itself is a great place to stay and one of the cleanest places I've been in. If you can get passed the attitude, you'll have a great stay. There are shops just a few miles downtown to go in and browse, although many of them were closed for the days we were there. I'm not sure why. I would recommend the Ormsby but be prepared for not so people friendly owners.

• Stayed February 2009
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

My wife and I spent a long weekend here and had a spectacular time. Our room was perfect and even had a working fireplace and a jacuzzi tub, which was great to come back to after a day of skiing. The inn itself is a well-kept charming old house and you can tell that the owners take terrific pride in it as well as the breakfast that they serve. Be sure to sign up for the hot breakfasts because they are not to be missed.

• Liked — The room and the breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2008

This is an exceptionally well-run inn. Owners Chris (the wife) and Ted pay a world of attention to every little detail. I read with amusement another reviewer's assessment that the owners are in the wrong business because they didn't sit down and gab with the guests at breakfast. First of all, they are running a business, not a "love-in." They definitely are friendly people,... but they are also very busy. Chris cooks the wonderful breakfasts and Ted serves them. Doesn't leave too much time for idle banter. But catch either owner at a slow period and you can have a pleasant. relaxed chat. We stayed here for three nights over the Thanksgiving holiday and found virtually nothing to complain about. The food was great. The atmosphere was romantic. The place was spotless. The maid service was excellent. And everything worked!!!! (jacuzzi, fireplace, TV, cd player, etc,) I would, however, strongly recommend that guests sign up for the hot breakfast, which is served at 9 a.m. Chris serves up mouth-watering dishes, such as omelets, quiches, french toast, etc. If you don't sign up (the prior evening) you'll be confined in the mornging to a very ordinary cold breakfast of cereal, cake, fruit salad, englisd muffin, etc.

• Liked — Atmosphere, food, room.
  • Disliked — nothing, really.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2008

My wife and I recently stayed two nights at The Inn at Ormsby Hill. The Inn facilities and grounds were just as described and expected. However, I'm just not sure the innkeepers have their priorities in order and are focused on their guests. Our stay didn't start well, when we called the Inn in the late evening for directions, and Ted Sprague answered, and when we indicated we were lost, but thought we were nearby - he responded with silence. When we asked if he needed to know where we thought we were, he merely answered "yes, that would be helpful".

When we finally located the Inn, my wife had just about had enough of travelling for that day. As such, she stayed in the car, while I checked us in. Ted Sprague greeted me inside (with a handshake) and when he asked where my wife was, I told him that she was pretty well worn out, and she preferred to wait in the car. At that point, rather than check us in, Ted insisted that I bring my wife in, so that he could go over the layout of the facilities and how breakfast was conducted. When I mentioned that she just wasn't up to it, Ted was insistent, and indicated that with couples checking in, "this was the way we do it". I dutifully went out to the car and informed my wife that her presence inside was required (much to her obvious surprise and amazement). The rest of the check-in went well and our room was very nice.

Our breakfast the next morning, (French Toast w/citrus sauce), while visually appealing, was inedible due to being underdone. We saw at least 4-5 other guests eat less than half their portions. Strangely, there was no inquiry from Ted or Chris on why so many guests were not actually eating their breakfasts.The next day we only ate from the continental breakfast, which was quite good. Speaking with another couple from Phoenix, who were having their third breakfast, also noted that breakfasts from the two prior days were mostly inedible, and said they also observed many portions from other guests being cleared away uneaten. I understand that Chris Sprague enjoys the reputation of being a chef, but I guess a reminder that she is cooking not to suit her tastes, but the tastes of her guests may be needed from time-to-time.

We also noted that Ted Sprague seemed inordinately concerned with the maintenance and upkeep of the facility and furniture, to the apparent disregard of the welfare of the guests. In some regards, it was a little bit like staying and eating in a museum, where you really couldn't relax and feel like you could make yourself at home, out of concern for moving something out of place or leaving a water spot on the dining room tables. We heard stories from other guests, which are hearsay and as they were not experienced firsthand, won’t be shared - but suggested a pattern noticed by others.

In writing this review and beforehand reading reviews posted on this travel website and others about the Inn, I noted an incredible dichotomy of the opinions expressed by the lodgers, which almost suggested that The Inn at Ormsby Hill and the Spragues were more possibly residents of Stepford, rather than Manchester - given the nearly Jekyl and Hyde demeanor described as being demonstrated by the innkeepers. Like other reviewers, I would have to agree that hospitality extended by the innkeepers apparently runs hot and cold. If you book a stay at The Inn at Ormsby Hill, hopefully the hospitality will be running "warm" for you.

• Liked — The facilities, grounds, room and other amenities.
  • Disliked — Indifferent attitude by the innkeepers and less-than appealing nature of the breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank CDobyns
Palm Desert
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

The inn is a perfect location for anyone going to a wedding at "Hildene". It's about a block from the event parking lot exit. The rooms, common areas and grounds could not be nicer. The breakfasts are a gourmet delight. The bread pudding and fresh berrries were a wonderful treat!

Ted and Chris have been in the B&B business for over 20 years. This is evident in their attention to detail and the efficiency they apply to every aspect of the inn. Clearly they see this enterprise as a " business" rather than an opportunity to develop relationships with their guests. It's perfectly acceptable to demonstrate that famous "New England reserve". Many guests prefer to be left alone, as the past comments have shown.

It's not acceptable, however, to create an atmosphere in which your guests feel uncomfortable. The first night I arrived I messed up the sign up sheet for breakfast. Ted scratched it out and told me I had done it incorrectly. That evening he was unwilling to make any recommendations for dinner, saying that it was personal taste and he didn't know what kind of food people liked. I talked to one of the other guests who felt nervous about being late for breakfast, sensing that it would be unacceptable.

There is a beautiful patio overlooking the backyard. Guests are not allowed to eat their breakfast outside. There is an overall feeling that you don't want to "break the rules".

I must admit that I'm still a little angry about my last interaction with my host. I asked if I could use the computer to comfirm my flight. Ted told me that he would do it for me. The next morning he offered to take care of it before it got too busy. I also asked him for directions to the airport. He told me go the reverse of the trip there. He rattled off some quick instructions, which I copied down and read back to him. I thought about asking him to print out the MapQuest directions, but was afraid to insult him, by questioning his directions. Due to his unwillingness to give us the assistance we needed, we almost missed our flight. We did not have adequate route numbers to find the Albany airport. Be sure that you have all the information you need before you leave home, since there is no computer available to you and an innkeeper who sends you on your way with little concern about your stay or getting to your next destination safely.

• Liked — The bed was very comfortable. Great bathroom with whirlpool tub. The other guests.
  • Disliked — I prefer friendlier hosts at a bed and breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank KathyTravel
Albany, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

Wanting to surprise my husband with a relaxing, stress-free weekend for father's day, we capitalized on a great special the inn was having for that weekend - what we ended up getting was exactly what the doctor ordered - we had an absolutely wonderful time, our newly found friends that were our 'breakfast buddies' were friendly, warm and up for some good conversation over breakfast, weekend weather couldn't have been better, room and jacuzzi were great and, all things considered - we couldn't have been more relaxed and stressful if we tried - which we didn't really have to do - you just get that feeling from being here. Not sure why so many other critics knock the innkeepers - I found both Ted and Chris to be exactly the way innkeepers should be - around when needed but inconspicious otherwise, helpful but not in an offensive way, warm and always with a smile and the breakfasts are absolutely 'to die for' - definitely worth a repeat trip - we've already been there for spring and summer - perhaps winter will be our next venture?

• Liked — breakfast definitely!
  • Disliked — room a bit too small
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sthomas0616
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#6 of 16 in Manchester
Wilburton Inn
Wilburton Inn
#3 of 12 in Manchester

Been to The Inn at Ormsby Hill? Share your experiences!