“Wonderful Dining Experience”

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1/4 mile East of Exit 4, Route 7
Description: Refined French brasserie dining, American style. Prix Fixe, Plats du Jour, Children's, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free menus.
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We can't say enough about this exquisite restaurant. The service is impeccable and the food is on par with the most acclaimed restaurants. Surely one of our best dining experiences throughout our culinary adventures in Vermont and Boston.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant and we can't say enough about their customer service. We had our Havanese with us and the owner went out of his way to accommodate us so we could have her with us eating on the terrace. He moved several umbrellas so we would be covered in case of rain. Our food was delicious and we will definitely be going back.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

A vegetarian menu presented at an upscale French restaurant? It's an unexpected, welcome accommodation for people who don't eat meat but love good food.

Beginning with cocktails, they offer some signature items that our server recommended and they turned out to be pretty divine. I had a martini made with fresh pear juice which was not too sweet and refreshing while my wife had a Kir Royale that was well executed. They have an extensive wine menu: whites and reds, sparklers, and many options by the glass. My wife chose glasses of Chablis for us -- given that Chablis is a treat to find on a menu and a double treat when it can be had by the glass.

On this evening, the server pointed out that they had a potato-ale soup that was vegetarian -- delightfully garnished with a chive oil and otherwise perfectly seasoned. (My pleasure in spite of the fact it was 90 degrees outside!) My wife had the roasted beet and fromage salad. The beets were cooked to perfection and the soft fromage blanc maison, pistachios, argula and chestnut honey highlighted their earthiness without overwhelming.

For entrees, I had the tofu fricassee and my wife the tian provencale, The fricassee won the best bite of the night award -- incredibly. Two Vermont sourced tofu steaks, seasoned and cooked in such a way that they transcended tofu. It was amazing. The bed of lentil salad and the carrot emulsion were all worthy supporting cast members. The tian was lovely and only edged out by the tofu. When she shared it with me I found the eggplant caviar was rich and delicious enough to stand on it's own -- but it was the roasted tomato sauce that grabbed my attention compelling me to sop the last bits up with the most excellent baguette that is provided.

We chose a hazelnut-choclate torte for dessert which was a dense, intensely hazel-nutty cake topped with a to-die-for chocolate ganache. The surprises kept right on until the end: they offer iced lattes! It felt a little odd drinking this milk-shake looking thing but given the heat I was thankful I could get my caffeine dose and be cooled at the same time.

Our experience with the service was excellent. Our waitress had command of the menu (drinks and food) and awareness and sensitivity to our food predilection. Something simple like knowing the soup du jour was vegetarian is not something we take for granted with waitstaff. She knew her food and clientele. I think that says a lot about the people who run the restaurant and their expectations of their staff. The back staff were always there to fill a glass, remove a plate, deliver hot food - and they were all pleasant and helpful.

With tip we were in the $180 range but it was worth every penny. The food and service were superb. We'll need to find reasons to make the trip over from the Eastern side of Vermont more frequently now I'm afraid.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I want to preface this by saying the food really is excellent; however, the service or lack there of significantly takes away from the overall experience which was incredibly frustrating.

A friend and I had dinner here on July 4th at 7pm. We had a reservation and were seated by a charmingly accented man who brought us immediately to our table. We sat, looked at the menus and continued looking for another 10 minutes before being approached by our waitress. She was very nice and friendly, took our drink orders of which we received 15 minutes later. The restaurant at this time was not busy and by that, I counted 3 tables outside, 2 tables in the lower dining room and 3 tables up where we were sitting at the raised dining area.

We ordered and it literally took 30 minutes from that time to receive our starters of oysters. It took another 45 minutes to receive a steak frites for my friend and 1/2 order of mussels and 1/2 of tuna tartare. I mean, honestly, were they catching the tuna and slaying the cow out back? What was the hold up??

There seemed to be many 'back waiters' flitting here and there, but the servers were often no where to be found, though when at the table they were perfectly pleasant. The manager, or the woman who appeared to be the manager seemed to be very active on the floor as well, clearing and bringing food.

I have worked in many, many restaurants of this so called caliber and I am shocked that this one is run so inefficiently. It appears it must be coming from the back of the house. The chefs are putting the food out so SLOWLY and having been a server, there really is nothing one can do when it's the chefs that are so slow, but I mean, honestly. How can you run a place like this when it takes a half hour to receive a starter and drink?

It is such a shame because once the food is there, it is truly delicious, but come on people, you need to expedite that food and get it to the table so people can enjoy it. I would really love to come in there again, and see a positive change because this place really does have so much potential! But as I mentioned before, until then, don't go there unless you have at least 2 hours to spare.

2  Thank Kristy L
Beth W, Owner at Brasserie L'Oustau, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

How sorry we are that you have had a unique and unusually unfortunate experience with us! As you'll see from our many positive reviews, we aim to provide our customers with high quality service and food.

It's curious why you wouldn't say something to us about the service during your dinner. As a server yourself, certainly you would know a simple expression of displeasure to the management would prompt our attention! Our "back waiters" are, in fact, bussers who would also be able to aid in addressing your complaint if only they had been notified.

We appreciate that you thoroughly enjoy our cuisine in any case. Perhaps you'll return for our lunch or brunch menu!

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Coming back from hildene estate visit, we stop at that bistrot on the road. I am rating it only average because we only had lunch fare, nothing fancy. But the restaurant was nice, with waiters well dressed and attentive. Wife had a charcuterie plate, and myself a goat cheese panini. Both were acceptable. We checked out the dinner menu and saw many yummy things to choose from. Oh, the fries were excellent. $40 for two.