“? family friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“? family friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2008

We have been staying at the Manchester View for several years as our daughter and family live close by. This time, when the weather was extremely hot for June, we were told that our grandchildren couldn't swim in the pool as they were not registered guests. They have used the pool before without any comments. If they are so concerned about liability, the reason they gave us, then why not have us sign a waiver or something. We would have paid a few dollars for a day pass. What are they thinking...we were there, as always, to visit family? This seems family-UNfriendly and will make me look around for other options in the area. There are MANY other places to choose from!

It was the owners that made these comments. Jason is great and helpful...it's just that his hands are tied.

• Liked — scenic views comfortable large rooms
  • Disliked — friendliness of owners
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
New York City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Manchester View three year ago just before we were married in Manchester. For our anniversary this year, we wanted to go back to the Manchester View to celebrate.

I first called and left a message on the Manchester View's voice mail to make a reservation. I never received a call back. Since no one returned my call and after waiting 3 days, I decided to book a room online. I put in all of our reservation information and received a reservation request. I then waited for my reservation confirmation. I waited and waited and waited. Four days later, I called the inn and finally got someone on the line. Turns out my reservation request was "lost". They did not apologize for failing to call me back or to complete the reservation.

Instead, after "finding" my reservation request they told me I could not book a room as there was a minimum 3 night stay during the month of July. I explained that nowhere on the website did I see this and the problems I had even getting someone to talk to me about the reservation. The man I spoke to, Jason, understood my confusion and told me it "happens all the time". He said if it was up to him, he'd let my husband and I stay the two nights because of all the available rooms at the inn. He assured me that he would talk to the owner about allowing us to stay the two nights and get back to me by the next day. Needless to say, he never got back to me.

I waited another 3 days before calling the inn and having to relay my entire reservation request story again! The women I spoke to on the phone, Judy, told me she would talk to the owner and get back to me. Five minutes later she called to tell me that the owner would not accommodate us and we had to make a 3 night reservation if we wanted to stay at the inn. When I told her how dissatisfied I was, I found out that she didn't even ask the owner, instead talked to the assistant inn keeper Laurie, who wouldn't even call me to tell me. I asked her to pass on my dissatisfaction with the owner and again, she told me she would only speak to Laurie and would not tell the owner!

I am extremely upset and disappointed by the lack of customer service at this inn. I will no longer stay here and I advise anyone else to avoid this inn at all costs so you do not end up like me, without a room.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled as a couple
5 Thank goobear
Mount Olive, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2007

We were in Vermont skiing for the weekend at Stratton. We didn't book a place, and we came upon the Manchester View, which looked nicer than some of the motels in the area. The man at the desk was very friendly, and even gave us the discounted midweek rate even though it was the weekend. We chose the queen deluxe room, which had two double beds. There were may other choices, but we really didn't need anything else. The room was large and clean, and had comfortable beds. There was a small balcony looking towards the mountains, and over a snowy hill. It was beautiful. There were several other suites that had access through a small lobby in the motel building, which looked nice for a couple's getaway. We ate at Candelero's in Manchester, a Tex-mex place that was awesome (we didn't get to finish the nachos). Would always stay here again.

• Liked — Friendly staff, location, view
  • Disliked — Nothing much
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hevdaze
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2007

Very large room with an excellent view, friendly staff, close to town. I recommend it!

• Liked — Large room
  • Disliked — no refrigerator in room, $3 continental breakfast fee
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank lizmit
Queens, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2007

We chose the Manchester View after lots of research, looking for a place that offered B&B comfort, without being a B&B. We were not disappointed! Our room was very cozy, nicely equipped, had a real fireplace (wood was restocked daily) and a private deck with a lovely view of the mountains. The location was just five minutes from all the shopping and restaurants in Manchester.

Everyone at the Manchester View was very nice and helpful, but we wanted to mention that Jason at the front desk was especially enthusiastic and EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the area, which came in handy as we were only visiting for three days and needed some recommendations.

We fully intend to return to the Manchester View for the 2008 foliage season, but next time we'll stay longer!

• Liked — The view
  • Stayed October 2007
1 Thank weluvnewengland
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2007

Stayed at the Manchester View for 2 nights in October. We arrived exactly at 2:00 and were told our room was not ready. The woman made us feel like it was our fault as we were remined that "check-in is at 2:00 you realize". I guess they weren't expecting us to be on time. We had the "Green Mountain Room" which was beautiful and spacious. The bathroom with the walk-in European shower and spa tub was clean, modern and nicely appointed. The large stone fireplace gave a real country feel, along with the country decor. We believe the room above is a small apartment for someone associated with the motel, and all we could hear was him walking around at all times of the night and going in and out of the small shared hallway. The breakfast was appropriate for the $3.00 charge. Hostess was extremely friendly and prepared our breakfast "to go" upon our request. The room charge was $299 per night as were most of the other accommodations in the area. The Manchester area has great shopping and plenty of places to eat. I would suggest the "Ye Olde Tavern" on 7A. Excellent service and food. Overall our stay at the Manchester View was nice but will probably try other establishments in future trips.

• Liked — Mountain views, spacious room and bath.
  • Disliked — Noisy upstairs occupant
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joiabella
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2007

Stayed for 3 nights. "Heated" pool water was freezing on a hot and muggy August day. When those of us at pool (some with small children) questioned the front desk about the pool water temp., we were told it is heated in the morning. I don't know how long that heater was on but by 1PM, the water was frigid. Also complaints about the filtration system as pool was filled with bugs. One of the guests skimmed water with net and cleaned out filter basket which was full of leaves. The light breakfast is $3 per person. No mention of that on motel website. I was not able to access any wireless internet connection on my laptop the entire weekend either in my room or in any of the public areas. And don't arrive a minute before check-in at 2PM. I arrived at 1PM after a nearly 5 hour drive and was told check-in was not until 2PM. I did not see housekeeping visible anywhere on the property. If the rooms are ready, why not let guests check-in early?? Room was basic and clean though queen bed was awfully small.

• Liked — The Views
  • Disliked — No early check-in
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo