“The school is nationally known; do you really need it!”

Orvis Fly Fishing School
More attraction details
Owner description: If learning to fly fish or improving your casting technique seems like a daunting task, you just haven't met the right fishing instructors. Pick up a fly rod at the Orvis Manchester Fly Fishing School, situated in the heart of Vermont's Green Mountains, and you'll be casting like a seasoned angler in just two short days of classes. Our expert instructors help you with everything from setting up the rod, to fly selection and knots, to how to safely release your catch. Fishing classes are held in our brand-new schoolhouse directly across from the Orvis Flagship Store, on our fully-stocked casting pond, and out on the famed Battenkill River.
Connecticut
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“The school is nationally known; do you really need it!”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Orvis is the premier player in fly fishing. Their clothing is superior and the unannounced sales at the outlet are incredible.

Orvis has a fishing pond set up and gives the best in fly fishing techniques. I may be old school but I think you just learn by trial and error. Their books though are excellent. Get on their mailing list and save a bundle.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank chillisgone

Boston
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“the long awaited trip was well worth it”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

So my parents got this school for me like 10 years ago and for a variety of reasons it took me 10 years to get to it - wow! Even though in the interim I'd gotten a lot better at fly casting I still learned a ton, and they let you advance at your own pace so it was fine for me to be in class with those who never picked up a pole. The instructors were very good and professional and the bug / fly selection part of the class was great as well. The only negative was that they overdid it a little with the "orvis stuff" promotions during the school, but really not a big deal. Best part was during the "on the river" session the second day I actually caught a wild brown trout in the Battenkill, which I never expected!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank RuralMA
Rochelle Park, New Jersey, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The most amazing place.”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I took my husband here for his birthday. (surprise) He is an angler, I am not. I would say that we both loved both the 1 hour casting lesson and the 4-hour guided day that we booked with Equinox. Both instructors were wonderful and were able to balance Jeff's ability with my inability. I would recommend it to anyone. The professionalism was great and we both learned a ton at our own level.

Visited October 2012
Vero Beach, Florida
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Orvis Commercialized Fly Fishing With This School”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

The first of it's kind in the USA. Orvis used to be a fly fishing only store in Manchester, their claim to fame was split bamboo rods. When I was a kid, I'd have rods custom made for around $80. Then Orvis started selling outdoor lifestyle items like clothes and house ware. The company almost went out of business about twenty years ago, was bought out, revamped, and modernized. Today, it is better than ever, rods are made of carbon fiber, and the school flourishes. Orvis reminds me of the Hudson Bay Company in Canada, only not as big. There have been good times, there have been lean times. The Fly Fishing School is their signature effort to get people to go outdoors and be at one with nature.

Visited September 2012
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Had the luxury of having a small class, so lots of personalized attention from the instructors. They staff it so there are no more than 4 students per instructor. We had 3 different instructors over 2 days, but all were excellent. The didactic sessions are useful, but the best part is the personalized attention during practice sessions at their casting ponds. The instructors teach to the level of proficiency of each student (so beginners work on basic techniques and those with prior experience work on more advanced skills). The video tape session was really helpful, so each student can see what their fly casts actually look like. Lunch was tasty. The tour of the fly rod manufacturing shop was fascinating. The field trip to the Battenkill was anticlimactic, as the water level was pretty low and the fishing difficult; also, the instructor didn't have a lot of time to spend with all of us given the fact we were fairly spread out on that segment of the river. They give you a copy of Tom Rosenbauer's Beginning Fly Fishing book at graduation, so don't buy that one in advance. All in all, an excellent experience that will help improve my casting technique.

Visited September 2012