“Very impressive”

Orvis Fly Fishing School
More attraction details
Owner description: If learning to fly fish or improving your casting technique seems like a daunting task, you just haven't met the right fishing instructors. Pick up a fly rod at the Orvis Manchester Fly Fishing School, situated in the heart of Vermont's Green Mountains, and you'll be casting like a seasoned angler in just two short days of classes. Our expert instructors help you with everything from setting up the rod, to fly selection and knots, to how to safely release your catch. Fishing classes are held in our brand-new schoolhouse directly across from the Orvis Flagship Store, on our fully-stocked casting pond, and out on the famed Battenkill River.
Easton, Maryland
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Very impressive”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

If you want to learn to fly fish, this is your school. The instructors were all great teachers, obviously love to fly fish and their love for it is contagious. I found all the instruction to be extremely interesting. We were able to then fly fish in the ponds near the school and there were many instructors rotating around to assist. I thought it was pretty easy to learn. Even caught a fish quickly. We didn't get to fish in the river because it had been raining and it was too full and rushing. But they took us there for a demonstration and that was well worth it. We only did the one day school which was enough for us.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank margarita200

Raleigh, North Carolina
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Great people! Beautiful place!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Orvis needs to accommodate the novice fly fishermen that visit. We wanted to rent equipment....not readily available. Everyone was so nice in the entire property, awesome retail products available - very cool stop on this trip

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Brad945
Connecticut
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“The school is nationally known; do you really need it!”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Orvis is the premier player in fly fishing. Their clothing is superior and the unannounced sales at the outlet are incredible.

Orvis has a fishing pond set up and gives the best in fly fishing techniques. I may be old school but I think you just learn by trial and error. Their books though are excellent. Get on their mailing list and save a bundle.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank chillisgone
Boston
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“the long awaited trip was well worth it”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

So my parents got this school for me like 10 years ago and for a variety of reasons it took me 10 years to get to it - wow! Even though in the interim I'd gotten a lot better at fly casting I still learned a ton, and they let you advance at your own pace so it was fine for me to be in class with those who never picked up a pole. The instructors were very good and professional and the bug / fly selection part of the class was great as well. The only negative was that they overdid it a little with the "orvis stuff" promotions during the school, but really not a big deal. Best part was during the "on the river" session the second day I actually caught a wild brown trout in the Battenkill, which I never expected!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank RuralMA
Rochelle Park, New Jersey, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The most amazing place.”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I took my husband here for his birthday. (surprise) He is an angler, I am not. I would say that we both loved both the 1 hour casting lesson and the 4-hour guided day that we booked with Equinox. Both instructors were wonderful and were able to balance Jeff's ability with my inability. I would recommend it to anyone. The professionalism was great and we both learned a ton at our own level.

Visited October 2012