“Beautiful Setting by the water”

Mistral's at Toll Gate
Ranked #27 of 60 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Mistral's is the third french restaurant we went to while in Manchester and of the three, Silver Fork, Brasserie L'Oustau it had the prettiest setting but service and food lagged behind the other two. This is definitely not the restaurant to go if you are a vegetarian - there were surprisingly few options. Our waiter was not particularly helpful when we saw that the fish on the menu was limited and asked if a Salmon dish could be had without the crabmeat. He said no but luckily the hostess overheard my question and said of course the chef could make some for us. We were the first customers of the night so the lack of attentiveness was surprising. For example, my roll was cold in the middle hot on the outside. When i pointed this out to the waiter he took my roll and tested it to see if I was telling the truth. He was not particularly helpful when we saw that the fish on the menu was limited and asked if a Salmon dish could be had without the crabmeat. He said no but luckily the hostess overheard my question and said of course the chef could make some for us. I ordered the beet salad with cheese and walnuts - looked beautiful, unfortunately the walnuts tasted bad and when i mentioned it to the waiter he said he would let the chef know and proceeded to clear our plates. Not the reaction I was expecting after the roll fiasco. The main entree, salmon with honey mustard sauce was delicious and my husband's trout was also well prepared. The desserts were very good but there was no "wow factor". For the most expensive meal of the three top French restaurants in the area it was definitely not worth it. The best thing about Mistral's is the view- ask for a table overlooking the brook.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Slightly outside of the downtown area (5 minutes), this local favorite is worth seeking out. Nice menu of traditional and specials. Calming stream with sound of running water makes for a very romantic or quiet atmosphere. Friendly service makes for a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The setting is simply divine: the restaurant is located off the road, and is litterally hanging over a waterfall. You can see and hear its presence, which creates a heavenly sense of serenity, tranqility and harmonious oneness with nature. The service is professionally subtle and greceful. The menu is well balanced with items ranging from meats to poultry, to game to sea and lake food. The special of the day was fillet of trout with locally geown mushrooms (chantrelles) and potato puree with a very subtle souse. Before I heard the special, I aimed for the sweetbreads, which was praised in another review. I was torn between the two entrees. And the waiter suggested that he could ask the chef to make a sweetbreads appetiser, which was not on the menu. I could not be happier. Both the sweetbreads appetiser and the trout special were exquisit. The wine list was a pleasant addition to the palatable menu.
This has been one of the most memorable dinner experiences in a long while. Thank you chef Dana! I am happy to recommend this place to those appreciating fine dining and the beauty of local landscape.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

...and the delicious food to compliment it! Dana is an experienced and creative Chef. I love his sweetbreads and the way he presents 3-4 deliciously prepared vegetables/starch on the plate with each entree. He has a knowledgeable staff and extensive wine list. Desserts are irresistible as well. Go!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Lovely atmosphere and fine French food. Ask for a table by the water - the rocks and waterfall are wonderfu.

1  Thank Carolyn A