“A place to stay, but rude”
Review of The Red Sled

The Red Sled
The Red Sled
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Manchester
“A place to stay, but rude”
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

I stayed here during a hiking trip because Manchester Center is a great town for resupply! This place was a bit outdated, but clean. We couldn't get the TV to work for the LONGEST time because they have a very complicated remote, and they do not have regular tv they have Netflix and the connection was off.

The next morning we needed to go in to town and needed a ride, like we were offered. First he tried to tell me to hitchhike and then he said they were going in ten minutes anyway and if we could get ready we could just go with them. We got ready as fast as we could, but didn't tidy up the room since we were getting our backpacks organized and staying another night. Upon returning the owner said the housekeeper was APPALLED at the way we left the room (clean piles of clothes, stuff sacks on floor- we were backpacking!) and that we should give her a good tip. They never said anything about housekeeping before and didn't offer a "do not disturb" tag. I thought it was rude of him to lecture me.

There was no AC and no screens on the windows so if you wanted to cool the room down you had to deal with bugs.

The next day he asked us to hitchhike to town and to the trailhead, even though previously he offered us rides (for $5).

We were told laundry was $5, but upon giving it back to me the woman said "actually it's more money cause your clothes seemed heavy, so it's $8." Fine, but that would have been nice to have been told ahead of time.

It's a place to stay, but I felt very uncomfortable there!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kswantita
John H, Owner at The Red Sled, responded to this review, 29 September 2014
Sirs,
Of the hundreds of hikers we take each year; I have to say, this gentleman was the only exception.
This couple came off the road and asked for a room, they were shown a room and expressed immediate satisfaction.
Firstly, they asked if a ride was available to town about 1 1/2 miles away; we said if a member of the staff would be going to town they were welcome to a ride at no cost.
The following morning they checked out and went for breakfast to a local diner. They returned and asked to stay another night, by now the room had been cleaned by a housekeeper who voiced despair to us at the filthy state the room was left in, it had taken her more than an hour to clean. This was mentioned with kindly words to the gentleman who then apologized with comments (to me the writer) and said it would not happen again.
They were also informed as is every hiker that the standard Laundry was $5.00 per small bundle which is hiker usual, but, that it was charged by weight. Their bundle being much larger, it carried $8.00 We were never asked for a do not disturb sign, nor was it ever mentioned.
John Hullican

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Leesport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Recently, we stayed at the Red Sled Motel for a skiing week. The rooms have been renewed to an excellent standard, comfortable, clean and charming with many decorative features.
Our hosts were informative, ready and willing to help at all times.
We will be back in the summer to see the many new plans the owners have for that season, some of which are already in place.
Jan & Chris in PA

Room Tip: All good vakue
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eileen T
Arlington, Vermont
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed at the Red Sled Motel during the Vermont Summer Festival "Horse Show". I speak first to the quality of the central air conditioning system which was quiet and consistent in temperature. Then there was the stocked trout pond with plenty of room for casting and tying on the manicured grassy slopes.

The rooms are well kept with all the ammenties. The next time I visit Manchester, I will go back to the Red Sled

Tricia

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Mechanicville
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Have stayed at The Red Sled many times and enjoyed it each time. The pool is great and very clean, as are the rooms and the entire property. Enjoyed the outdoor fire at night, a grat way to meet other travelers. Looking forword to our next stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Capital District, NY
Reviewed 3 June 2011

My husband and I took a spur of the moment trip over Memorial Day weekend and we came upon a quaint little motel named the “The Red Sled” in beautiful Manchester, Vermont. We had a wonderful experience. Our room was lovely; it contained everything that is important to me. It was spacious; it had very comfortable mattresses; a clean, well kept bathroom with plenty of hot water; a flat screen TV; and a view of the mountains that left me feeling serene and relaxed. I was surprised to see our room even contained hand crafted furniture. Before retiring for the night we sat on the motel’s back deck (overlooking the pond, fields and mountains) and enjoyed the wonderful fresh air of Vermont.
There is a lot to see and do in the Manchester area and I’m hoping to bring my kids and grandkids back sometime soon. The outdoor pool was being opened for the season and will surely be a big hit with the kids.
Mary Beth

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brooklynlady45
Amenia, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2011

The place is a dump,heat sucks, cleanliness is a hit and miss. owner is elusive, and gone quite often. Not worth the money !

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davebond49
John H, Manager at The Red Sled, responded to this review, 10 October 2014
Owners were not present during the stay of this guest due to a lease agreement. Owners returned in June and were greeted by an intolerable mess to clean up.
We hope we have done a great job and would welcome any return guests.
John

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 December 2010

This was the WORST motel experience I have ever had. We called to book the room that day and the manager/ owner knew we were driving up in one of the worst storms in years. We got there at 11 pm plus the owner knew we had been driving for hours. He lied to my boyfriend saying the heat was on and the room was warm. We got into the room, the heat was all the way off and it was literally 50 degrees. It took an hour to heat up, since it has old electric baseboard heaters. As I tried to get warm under the covers, I was welcomed by a huge, disgusting black fly in the sheets! The next morning I woke up to NO hot water for a shower and then proceeded to wait 2 hours for a plow to come. It had snowed over 2 feet and even at 9 am (Stratton opens at 8am) a plow still had not come. We had to dig/ push ourselves out by hand, because of course there was no shovel or help from the owner. When I called to reason with the owner and ask for a refund he proceeded to, get this, yell at me saying that the heat was on, there was hot water, that I should have said something the next morning and not that night and on and on. (Of course he never mentioned not plowing.)

Completely unprofessional, on top of the place being uninhabitable!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AnneEP2010
John H, Manager at The Red Sled, responded to this review, 4 October 2014
We are sorry, but the heat and hot water were both working fine as we knew you were coming. As for the weather conditions: we have no control over and no matter how many times we called the plowing contractor, it was a case of "when I can get there" due of course to the horrendous unexpected amount of snowfall overnight. Our apologies