“Home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Manchester B&B and Inns
Vestal, New York
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was our family's third trip to Vermont and our first time staying in southern Vermont. We chose Manchester as our home base on the recommendation of a family member whom is very familiar with Vermont and we are very glad we followed his suggestion. Manchester is a pristine setting with many things to see and do. The Inn at Manchester was the perfect place to stay while in town. The owners and their staff were warm, welcoming and extremely helpful and accommodating. I require a somewhat restricted diet in order to feel my best and the staff went out of their way to make sure that I got everything I needed. Our family of three stayed in the Wintergreen room and it was spacious, beautiful, and immaculately clean! The beds were extremely comfortable. Our son enjoyed the location, just steps away from the beautiful pool which we had all to ourselves one warm evening. My husband enjoyed staying up quite late one night completing the puzzle mentioned in a previous review! We appreciated that the breakfasts were simple and satisfying and you could just order eggs if that was your preference. Our only (minor) criticisms are: we were not expecting the construction and it was a bit noisy in the morning on the Friday we were there. Also, my son, who is getting quite tall, had difficulty fitting under the shower head which was a hand-held one that I tried to explain to him could be removed from it's holder! Overall, we had a wonderful experience and look forward to returning some time, hopefully to see the finished result of the construction! Oops, I almost forgot to mention how much we enjoyed the adorable Chai (the not- so- miniature miniature poodle) who greeted us at breakfast!

Room Tip: Rooms in the barn out back are private and spacious. They seemed very quiet except for the construc...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank vestalgal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I want to echo the previous review, and since he took the time to describe the details, I will say ditto. We liked everything about this place, including the dog Chai. If I were to nitpick, I might mention it is on a busy road but our room was in the back so we heard nothing at night. I enjoyed jumping in the pool soon after our arrival and we sat around afterward to read our books. It was great to be able to have a glass of wine at the inn before going out. Manchester is such a picturesque town, and this is a great home base for travels in the area. I highly recommend Ye Olde Tavern for dinner - reminded me of the historic feeling you get in Williamsburg. The innkeepers and staff were very welcoming and proficient.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sage room and I think I must have read an old Tripadvisor review because it enticed...
      Cleanliness
1 Thank crosscourtforehand
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I have been traveling to Vermont at least once a year for the past 20+ years. The vast majority of these trips have been during the winter ski season where we prefer to stay at Stratton Mountain which is where we ski. We are very familiar with Manchester since we will dine there during one of our ski trips at least three times during our week long stay. This year we decided to do a summer trip which opened the door to many more opportunities for lodging.

Being fans of bed and breakfast inns, we thought about staying at the Inn at Manchester. We had driven past it many times so after some research on tripadvisor and the the inn's own website (which is excellent by the way) we booked a four night stay in the Sage Suite on the third floor of the inn. There is also the carriage house, a beautifully restored historic barn structure, which sits behind the inn and adjacent to the pool. The inn sits at the quieter end of town but within easy walking distance to shopping and dining. The grounds are beautiful. Very open and spacious with Mount Equinox as the backdrop. The inn itself offers the perfect balance of rustic charm and modern conveniences and is beautifully and tastefully decorated. On the fist level of the inn there is the main dining area where guests eat breakfast. There are a number of tables for two and a couple of tables that can seat six or more. The dining area is bright and sunny in the morning. The way you would want it to be. There is also the living room at the front of the inn (where guests can also eat breakfast if the dining room is full), a beautiful and comfortable bar/lounge (yes, the inn has a liquor license) and the red room den toward the rear of the inn. The rest of the first floor is occupied by office, kitchen and four guest rooms. The second and third floors are all guest rooms. Our room was spacious, quiet, nicely furnished, and very clean and tidy.The exterior front of the house has a covered porch that extends across the full front and wraps partially around the left side. There are comfortable rocking chairs that you can sit and relax on while you sip on a beer or mixed drink from the bar or just munch on some of the delicious homemade cookies. We did not use the pool but we did take a walk back to look at it and found it to be a good size, very clean, and on a quieter part of the property.

As far as hospitality goes, we were made to feel more like guests in someone's home as opposed to just another guest at an inn. We saw a number of guests during our stay who had stayed there many times before and obviously felt the same way. Frank & Julie truly do a remarkable job at running this place. We didn't experience even the smallest of hiccups during our stay. Frank does an excellent job with breakfast and they truly are as accommodating at breakfast as their website professes. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and looked forward to breakfast each morning. The brightness of the dining area, the hospitality of the servers, the morning chatter of the guests, and, of course, the food itself made you feel energized and ready to get the day started. I also enjoyed sitting at the bar later in the evening, sipping on an after dinner snifter of Drambuie and enjoying some conversation with Julie who was a pleasure to talk to. I can't end this review without mentioning Chai. Chai is the inn's adorable miniature poodle that, if you're dog lovers like my wife and I, you just can't resist. She's very quiet and just loves to be petted. If you do take the time to get to know Chai a little (tummy rubs work well) she'll even greet you with a wagging tail when you return to the inn after a day out.

The only regret that my wife and I had, beside having to leave in the first place, was spending more time out and about then relaxing at the inn. When, not if, we return I plan to do just that. Relax more at the inn. Thank you Frank, Julie, Chai, and your terrific staff.

2 Thank TheGoodBadandFugly
Princeton NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The recent previous reviewers were spot on with their descriptions of the Inn, central location, and comfortable rooms. The staff is so warm and friendly. I special shout out to Virgil, who was lots of fun to talk each day. The construction happening on site is not ideal. Hope they get it done soon, as I'm sure it will be wonderful once it is complete.

We enjoyed our getaway very much and look forward to future visits someday.

Bedford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Inn at Manchester is situated within walking distance from many of area's shops and restaurants. It's not isolated, if that's what you're looking for, but immediate area is far enough removed from busyness of town that you'll certainly be able to relax in your room or appreciate the scenic mountain views behind the Inn. The rooms are clean and cozy, and I've honestly never slept on bed with softer sheets. They were constructing a new building in the side lot when we stayed, though, so you may want to check to see if that's still ongoing when you book your reservations.
During our stay it was obvious that Julie and Frank operated under the premise that their guests deserved to have their highest expectations met when staying at their inn. You can be assured that the two of them, along with their staff, will take whatever measures necessary to ensure that you won't leave the Inn at Manchester dissatisfied.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RF29
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Once again we were delighted by the Inn at Manchester! As usual, the rooms are spotless and comfortable. Anyone getting married in the next year or so should check out the new venue on the property being built right now to accommodate weddings and special functions. Yikes, wish I was younger! The pool was great after golf and the AC was cranking! We will be back!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank ddccoleman
Gillette, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

First time staying there after going to VT for 17 years, By far the best. Nice clean quiet rooms.
Breakfast was delicious and Julie and Frank are the nicest innkeepers we have yet to meet in Vermont. They are friendly, helpful and truly make staying there a pleasure. I felt so relaxed and slept three nights in a row!! They have a great front porch with rocking chairs... Nice to enjoy a glass of wine. Definitely will we going back. I think we found our new go-to place
in Vermont.

Room Tip: the whole place seemed quiet Very rarely heard others
1 Thank nanal76