“Very nice family-run motel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mendon Mountain Orchards Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mendon
Mendon Mountain Orchards Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Mendon
Pennsylvania
“Very nice family-run motel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

The folks that run this motel were very nice and friendly. The surroundings are beautiful (on a hilltop about 3 miles outside Rutland), and it was a terrific place to stay. The room was nice, and the price was reasonable.

The apple turnover and fresh cider were a great surprise although I didn't realize it was self-service and waited around the little gift shop looking for someone. Hint: just walk in and help yourself--everything is sitting on the counter by the window. They are very trusting people, and everything is on the honor system.

My only minor complaint was that the rooms do not have cable TV. My room had a television with an antenna and a DVD player, but the only channel you could watch was PBS. Got in fairly early on a rainy night, and it was fairly boring. You may want to bring some DVDs or other electronic gadgets--especially if you have children to entertain.

Beautiful place--definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank pedal29

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a weekend at Mendon Mountain Orchards Motel, and have been vacationing in Killington for 6 years. It's a HUGE challenge to find an affordable "base" to ski from, that is clean and worth the money. This place does it. It's basic, for sure, but we will definitely be going again. Usually cheaper lodging means it's unkempt and has poor service, but this is NOT the case here! The price is great, 100% clean and tidy, and excellent service. We loved the apple turnovers & coffee in the morning! I highly recommend it for the budget traveler. Great proximity to Pico and Killington.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank amy b
Trenton, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

This little hotel is a great value. It is clean and the staff who run it are just great! At 8 am they have fresh apple turnovers at their store. I took an early morning walk with a friiendly neighbor through the orchard. We had coffee and turnovers at the store. I took fresh apple pies home to my family who just LOVED them! This past new years, while driving through Mendon I picked up apple pies and maple walnut pies. If you like a sweet pie like pecan pie, you will love their maple walnut. Again, this hotel is a great value and the staff are very kind and accomodating. To stay in Vermont is to love Vermont. Give it a try!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Dawnzo
Fairfield, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

First of all, this motel is located on an apple orchard, so you get the unusual feature of beautiful apple trees as the scenery for a motel. This place isn't fancy, and you have to be a little patient and appreciate the genuineness and the personal warmth. The place is run by an older woman who, from what I've read here, has run the place nearly forever. We got there @ 9:00 p.m., and it took her a while to realize we were there. The dogs finally heard us and let her know. She came out and figured our tab out with a pen and paper, then charged my card. The rooms are 1/2 duplexes. They're pretty good sized. Very basic, but there was a television with cable, and I didn't even realize it, but they apparently have free wi-fi, too! The shower's a little tight, but it worked, and everything was very clean-- I certainly didn't see or smell any "mold", as someone said. The location is phenomenal. The place is literally 10 minutes tops from Pico and maybe 5 minutes from Rutland, which is the most commercially built-up town I've seen in Vermont-- almost like being in Milford, CT-- Home Depot, CVS, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Appleby's, Shaw's, on and on-- lots of economical and convenient shopping and dining options. We even got a decent bagel in the morning. There's a small country store attached to the motel. My biggest insider tip is-- try the apple turnovers. I know they look kind of plain and uninspiring. You won't believe how good they are. Worth stopping for them even if you're not staying at the motel. If you stay there and don't have one, you're a fool.

So, simple clean accommodations, a nice old lady, apple trees!, amazing apple turnovers, REAL close to Pico, AND the HOLIDAY rate for a room with two full-sized beds was $75! The regular winter rate is $65! We will be back often!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mthabetz
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

We got rained out of camping and spent one night at the Mendon Mountain Orchards Motel. I had researched a place beforehand just in case and decided on the Mendon b.c I thought it seemed charming and it definitely was. Our room was a decent size, with two double beds. It was clean. The bathroom was very clean and seemed freshly painted. Their apple orchard is right there, behind the Motel's office, and it really is a pretty setting. And oh my lord, the apple pies (and turnovers) are so yummy! They're all sold in the Motel's very own general store, which is super cute and well worth a visit. It was raining while we were there so we didn't swim but the pool was BRAND new and looked great!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zupplezam
long Island new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

My husband and I been going for years. The first time Oct 89.We were caught in an unexpected Oct snow storm. We barely saw the sign for the motel but thank God it was open and welcomed by owners. was told Storm had cut power. But we were happy to find shelter from storm. After returning from getting extra blankets.,the owner came to our room with a hot apple pie.Been coming from long island ever since. We did experience filterted pool water last year. But was told before we booked and supplied with bottled water. It was a dry spring that year .But water issue is resolved and plan to go back this week end.. quaint /clean country room.

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank Cony771
Bradenton, Fl.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2008

I've been staying at Mendon Mountain Orchard Motel on my annual trip to Vermont for the past 7 years. It is a great place to stay. The hosts are enviromentally conscious and very accomodating. Is it a "steel and glass" place like most major chains? The answer is no! It is a wonderful quiet place that has character! It is older, but well maintained. The only time I ever had any problem was about 3 years back. The problem had nothing to do with Motel or proprietors, but with nature. A lightning bolt hit the grounds as I was walking to the office. The bolt fused a coupling in the underground water line from resevoir to motel. I had no water for 5 days till area was located and repaired. Proprietors refunded my money even though I stayed and also arranged bathing at their house. I stay there becuse I love the setting and the family that run the motel. As for the mold problem mentioned in another post, I've never experienced it. Rooms are clean and neat.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank Imnosaint
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites Rutland - Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 12 in Rutland

Been to Mendon Mountain Orchards Motel? Share your experiences!