“A bit shabby, but good location”

Budget Host Killington Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Mendon
Boston, Massachusetts
“A bit shabby, but good location”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The GOOD:
1. Location- Close to Killington/Pico and many restaurants
2. Price: Low compared to most accommodations in the area
3. Lobby: Nice big fireplace, lots of magazines & newspapers
4. Cleanliness: room clean despite poor maintenance
The BAD:
1. Poor maintenance: Light bulbs out, holes in the exterior siding, broken drawers and cabinets in the room, peeling paint in the bathroom, thermostats on dented/mangled baseboard heaters do not work well so the room was hot, and windows do not open or close easily.
2. The Spa: 2-3 seat hot tub in the motel basement, caulking around the tub all cracked, scum floating on top of water under a solar cover. This hot tub had UTI written all over it, so we did not partake.
3. Breakfast: One of the worst continental breakfasts ever! Boxed donuts, coffee, tea, OJ, toast, bagels, jelly, butter, and oatmeal.....nothing else. No milk, no cereal, no cream cheese, no fruit......
4. Evening front desk staff: The kid was completely spaced out and could not answer basic questions. We had to show him on our phone which rooms were available. He said that he was having computer trouble and could not print our invoice and wanted a copy of our credit card and driver's license. When we went out for dinner he was out front smoking weed instead of watching the desk which explains his inability to answer questions and spaciness.
5. Noise: We heard every creak, footstep, door, etc. The walls and floors are paper thin. Our upstairs neighbors may have been elephants, we are not sure.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 107, which is a single queen efficiency. It has a couch, TV, bathroom, full refrig...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tooch71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
CT
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Just outside the area of the super high priced Killington resorts and hotels so the value was relatively good. Friendly staff, clean enough for the age of the lodge.

Rooms and beds especially have seen better days and the windows really need some work but at least they opened as the room was quite warm. Breakfast is not much but enough to get you out the door. Making sure the coffee was hot and provide some fruit would help.

Would probably stay here again for a quick visit to Killington during busy season where all you need is a clean, safe and relatively close place to stay and places on Killington Rd are charging top dollar.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed here during fall foliage trip for a night. Very clean rooms. People were very friendly.
They have pool tables ( pay per game) if you enjoy it. A large dining area.

I was able to hear the water pipe sounds half the night. You can hear your neighbor. ( 1st floor)

Continental breakfast is a joke. Don't expect way too much. Coffee, bred, bagel & butter. oo yes OJ !! There are nice restaurants within driving distance. Should not be a problem.

Room Tip: Get the 2nd floor. 1st floor can be noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aaruun N
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We travel the US yearly staying at Choice Hotels. We were surprised at the character of the East Mendon facility...old, concealed with aging renovations. The windows didn't open and shut properly, sound and smells transferred easily from adjacent rooms, furnishings were vintage...not antique! Breakfast was basic, cost high relative to value. Econolodge might look at this facility for replacement as it is located in a lovely spot (that needs a turn lane for uphill traffic in a passing lane), near other newer accomodations. We are retirees. Perhaps for an after ski crash pad, the place is fine. We compliment staff on clean facilities and helpful dispositions, but realize they have a downhill property in an up scale environment.

Room Tip: Rooms on the NW side of the hotel face the woods and away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hugh M

Travellers are raving about these Mendon hotels

Saranac Lake, New York
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed two nights at this hotel. Rooms were clean but overall dated. Shouldn't $115 a night include a flat screen tv instead of an old dated grainy CRT? Continental breakfast was lame - white bread toast and donuts. No cereal, milk, or fruit. Most annoying thing about my stay was I was asked to produce my drivers license and credit card upon check in. Since I had booked with a valid credit card and the Visa card merchant agreement states that merchants do not have to ask for additional ID, I asked why did I had to show my license. The clerk's response was "in case I claimed I never stayed there and refused to pay." Clerk also said I had to have a credit card because "drug dealers don't have credit cards". Gee, any hotel that greets me as a suspected drug dealer and scofflaw must really want my repeat business! My drivers license number was recorded despite my strong protest.

Be advised if you book on the web your total price will not reflect the additional 6% local rooms tax. Since computers are good at adding numbers why can't this be added to the total when you book?
When I asked at check-in for an itemized bill showing taxes and total fees I was told "it won't print out until 5 am." When I did check out I found a $1.50 per night "safe fee" on the bill - you have to ask to have this removed whether you use the room safe or not.

While the room was clean don't expect a good nights sleep here - the walls are paper thin and from room 211 we could hear every toilet flush and floor creak from the adjoining rooms.

I booked this because I thought I could trust that a chain motel - EconoLodge - would provide predictable and modern service - this was anything but that.

Oh yeah, if you stay here - be sure not to miss the basket of "free rags" in the front lobby.

Room Tip: Perhaps it is an anomaly but room 211 is so noisy you'll think you are in the boiler room.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank vtcustom
Kendall Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I imagine this place could get quite pricey during the ski season, but during August it was a very good deal. The room # 105 was big, comfortable; free breakfast was in a ski-themed room downstairs and featured bagels, assorted donuts, coffee, juice, tea; there's an indoor hot tub, outdoor pool, and is nicely landscaped. The lady at night was very nice. No fridge or microwave in room, but there is a coffeemaker. Location is outside of both Killington & Rutland and was very quiet. It was a good location for traveling to the different things we wanted to see before heading to Burlington.

Room Tip: I guess because of its rustic quality, the floors are a bit squeeky.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gjcooper7007
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The hotel and rooms were nice. Service was poor.The amenities which make it special were lacking. We had to get our own cups and coffee for the in room machine. The soaps and shampoo were not replaced daily. The garbage cans were not emptied until we requested it. Large bags of dirty laundry were left sitting in the hall for several days.We were very disappointed. Not a do again spot.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Red Clover Inn & Restaurant
Killington-Pico Motor Inn

Been to Budget Host Killington Lodge? Share your experiences!