“Even for the undiscerning traveler, this place is a bust”

and 1 more site!
Budget Host Killington Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Mendon
Reviewed 15 March 2013

There's not a whole lot to like about the Killington Econolodge. Sure, it's got character… but it's not the kind of character that inspires awe or wonder. Let's be frank, this place is cheap, conveniently located and clean. Other than that, it's a dump.

I stayed in a second floor double for two days and they were somewhat trying. The econolodge lacks what, in my humble opinion, are the most important things a hotel can offer.

First of all, the ability to change the goddamn temperature. I've never stayed at a hotel before that didn't have a thermostat in the rooms, especially a hotel that's a branded franchise of a national chain. Nevertheless, if you don't like the climate in your room, too bad. Opening a window in the dead of winter and trying to achieve the delicate balance of the too-hot, hotel-wide heating and the frigid outside air is really your only option.

The second problem I had was the wireless internet access. And that -- it sucked. And by that I mean that it was spotty at best, and downright nonexistent at worst. The latter was the case for most of my stay. When I stay at a hotel, I'm basically there to sleep, and when I have down time to kill. The way I generally do that is by taking care of some mundane tasks like email checking and internet browsing. If I can't do that for some reason, I get considerably irritated.

The bottom line is that, even for a cheap overnight stay during a busy time of year in a ski resort town, this place doesn't make the cut. Stay somewhere -- anywhere -- else.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 March 2013

I travelled to Killington and stayed at the Killington Econo Lodge on March 1 and 2 with a friend for a weekend of skiing. I chose this motel as we had stayed here before and it had been an acceptable stay and the price was attractive. The check in process was fine and pleasant enough. When we went to the room, I walked into the bathroom and the toilet was filled with an unflushed bowel movement and toilet paper. It was absolutely the grossest thing I have EVER experienced in a hotel/motel stay. There was a (BIG) dead fly laying in the bathtub next to the drain. To top it off, there was a previously used towel hanging on a hook behind the door. It was obvious the bathroom had not been cleaned, and it made me wonder if they had even bothered to change the sheets, much less the bedcovers. The room was very hot and the temperature was pretty tricky to control. I made a call to the front desk and they said to turn the control knob down all the way. We did that but it didn't stop the hot air from blowing. We ended up keeping the window cracked all night in order to get the temperature to a bearable level. The beds were very hard and did not provide a very comfortable sleep.

Breakfast is very basic and includes bagels, cakes, donuts, bread, OJ and coffee. It would have been nice to have some fruit or something healthy in addition to all the starch offerings. Also, there was no cream cheese for the bagels, only butter and jelly. The first day they had oatmeal, which made it acceptable. The second day they had run out of oatmeal by 7:30 and said that there was no more in the back. Needless to say, the breakfast could use some simple improvements by having cream cheese for the bagels, a supply of oatmeal, and possibly some fruit. Overall the property is not in bad condition. It just seems to be run on a bare bones budget and with little attention to cleanliness. They could stand to make some simple updating on certain items. The desk has metal bars that separate the staff from the guests, which is a pretty odd and unfriendly looking. The upstairs has a Internet computer, but it is a desktop and not sure it even gets used. They do have a jacuzzi, but it is very small - four adults would be very tight.

For positives, they do have a fireplace in the lobby, although it was barely burning in the afternoon after skiing. The room was nice sized and appeared clean other than the bathroom situation. There is a ping pong table and a pool table in the basement, which is good for kids. I would have rated this property a "3" if I had not experienced the disgusting bathroom. It could even be a "4" if they added some simple and not too expensive upgrades to the breakfast and some updating of the interior.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second level on the middle wing at the end. Noise was not a problem at all.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The GOOD:
1. Location- Close to Killington/Pico and many restaurants
2. Price: Low compared to most accommodations in the area
3. Lobby: Nice big fireplace, lots of magazines & newspapers
4. Cleanliness: room clean despite poor maintenance
The BAD:
1. Poor maintenance: Light bulbs out, holes in the exterior siding, broken drawers and cabinets in the room, peeling paint in the bathroom, thermostats on dented/mangled baseboard heaters do not work well so the room was hot, and windows do not open or close easily.
2. The Spa: 2-3 seat hot tub in the motel basement, caulking around the tub all cracked, scum floating on top of water under a solar cover. This hot tub had UTI written all over it, so we did not partake.
3. Breakfast: One of the worst continental breakfasts ever! Boxed donuts, coffee, tea, OJ, toast, bagels, jelly, butter, and oatmeal.....nothing else. No milk, no cereal, no cream cheese, no fruit......
4. Evening front desk staff: The kid was completely spaced out and could not answer basic questions. We had to show him on our phone which rooms were available. He said that he was having computer trouble and could not print our invoice and wanted a copy of our credit card and driver's license. When we went out for dinner he was out front smoking weed instead of watching the desk which explains his inability to answer questions and spaciness.
5. Noise: We heard every creak, footstep, door, etc. The walls and floors are paper thin. Our upstairs neighbors may have been elephants, we are not sure.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 107, which is a single queen efficiency. It has a couch, TV, bathroom, full refrig...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tooch71
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Just outside the area of the super high priced Killington resorts and hotels so the value was relatively good. Friendly staff, clean enough for the age of the lodge.

Rooms and beds especially have seen better days and the windows really need some work but at least they opened as the room was quite warm. Breakfast is not much but enough to get you out the door. Making sure the coffee was hot and provide some fruit would help.

Would probably stay here again for a quick visit to Killington during busy season where all you need is a clean, safe and relatively close place to stay and places on Killington Rd are charging top dollar.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed here during fall foliage trip for a night. Very clean rooms. People were very friendly.
They have pool tables ( pay per game) if you enjoy it. A large dining area.

I was able to hear the water pipe sounds half the night. You can hear your neighbor. ( 1st floor)

Continental breakfast is a joke. Don't expect way too much. Coffee, bred, bagel & butter. oo yes OJ !! There are nice restaurants within driving distance. Should not be a problem.

Room Tip: Get the 2nd floor. 1st floor can be noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aaruun N
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We travel the US yearly staying at Choice Hotels. We were surprised at the character of the East Mendon facility...old, concealed with aging renovations. The windows didn't open and shut properly, sound and smells transferred easily from adjacent rooms, furnishings were vintage...not antique! Breakfast was basic, cost high relative to value. Econolodge might look at this facility for replacement as it is located in a lovely spot (that needs a turn lane for uphill traffic in a passing lane), near other newer accomodations. We are retirees. Perhaps for an after ski crash pad, the place is fine. We compliment staff on clean facilities and helpful dispositions, but realize they have a downhill property in an up scale environment.

Room Tip: Rooms on the NW side of the hotel face the woods and away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hugh M
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed two nights at this hotel. Rooms were clean but overall dated. Shouldn't $115 a night include a flat screen tv instead of an old dated grainy CRT? Continental breakfast was lame - white bread toast and donuts. No cereal, milk, or fruit. Most annoying thing about my stay was I was asked to produce my drivers license and credit card upon check in. Since I had booked with a valid credit card and the Visa card merchant agreement states that merchants do not have to ask for additional ID, I asked why did I had to show my license. The clerk's response was "in case I claimed I never stayed there and refused to pay." Clerk also said I had to have a credit card because "drug dealers don't have credit cards". Gee, any hotel that greets me as a suspected drug dealer and scofflaw must really want my repeat business! My drivers license number was recorded despite my strong protest.

Be advised if you book on the web your total price will not reflect the additional 6% local rooms tax. Since computers are good at adding numbers why can't this be added to the total when you book?
When I asked at check-in for an itemized bill showing taxes and total fees I was told "it won't print out until 5 am." When I did check out I found a $1.50 per night "safe fee" on the bill - you have to ask to have this removed whether you use the room safe or not.

While the room was clean don't expect a good nights sleep here - the walls are paper thin and from room 211 we could hear every toilet flush and floor creak from the adjoining rooms.

I booked this because I thought I could trust that a chain motel - EconoLodge - would provide predictable and modern service - this was anything but that.

Oh yeah, if you stay here - be sure not to miss the basket of "free rags" in the front lobby.

Room Tip: Perhaps it is an anomaly but room 211 is so noisy you'll think you are in the boiler room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank vtcustom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 12 in Rutland

Been to Budget Host Killington Lodge? Share your experiences!