“Excellent”

Add it.
Thai Star
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Thai Star has come a long way since these old reviews. We came for lunch and were not disappointed. Lunch came with a lovely soup with fresh cilantro, tender chicken in a creamy broth. Yum. You can't go wrong with any of the curries. Everything was just so fresh and delicious. We took our entrees home because there was just so much food. The service was excellent and attentive. Overall great experience. Oh and be sure to order the chilled Thai tea.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Stop here for a wonderful meal every time. If you like Thai or Asian food there is no place better.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Friends suggested Thai Star, and we went, even though we had been disappointed in the past. The soup and spring rolls were okay. The tofu in my green curry was very tough. The portion size was not overly generous. My husband had the Mendon Special, which loomed great on the menu but looked dreadful on the plate. It wasn't at all what he hoped forand he had a bout of severe intestinal upset later that night. I have wanted this restaurant to succeed because I love Thai food. We have friends who have had bouts of intestinal upset with take out. We won't be returning.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

I have to agree with the majority of reviewers here. We found the food at Thai Star to be absolutely fantastic! The new owners have brought an extensive menu of cooked to order authentic Thai dishes to this somewhat remote location that's not to be missed. Everything we ordered was fresh, flavorful and beautifully presented instead of just thrown on a plate.
The skewered Goong Pao shrimp appetizer came with such a delicious chili sauce there wasn't a drop left. Husband's Sizzling Seafood was super fresh and seasoned to perfection without being overly spicy. He loved it! My Honey Crispy Duck was the best I ever had. The crispy skin, moist, flavorful boneless meat and delicate honey-infused sauce made it pure duckie heaven. Used up every grain of brown rice to clean my plate!

Other than the outstanding food, one of the best features about this place is that it's BYOB, which is very unusual for a Vermont restaurant. It's a great way to enjoy a good bottle of wine with your meal without the sky-high extra expense. It's something I miss about all the great little restaurants in NJ and the west coast.

We can't wait to go back and try many more of their tasty offerings. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We hadn't eaten here in a couple years. Restaurant.com had a sale ($1 for $25 coupons) and Thai Star was one of the available restaurants in the area, so I picked one up. Got there Saturday night at 6:30pm. Only one other table of 2 other than us. Left at 7:45pm and no one else came in the whole time. Ordered two Thai Ice Teas, which we generally love, but these were overbrewed, then over sweetened. I could barely finish mine.

For appetizers, we ordered the chicken and vegetable tempura, which came without the chicken. When we pointed it out, she brought a separate basket a few minutes later with tempura chicken. The tempura wasn't crisy or crunchy at all but rather mushy and soaked in grease. Most of the vegetables inside the tempura were raw.

My wife ordered Pad Thai without peanuts. It was a huge helping when it came, but she said the chicken tasted like it had been nuked prior to being mixed in with the noodles and peanut sauce, or I should say lack of peanut sauce. She said it was the driest Pad Thai she's ever had. Combine that with rubbery chicken, she wasn't impressed.

I guess I can't blame them entirely for the nuking. They have a giant menu with dozens of main courses with all types of seafood and meat listed. How is it possible for them to have every ingredient for every dish available fresh and ready in the hopes that someone orders it? I'm guessing they keep most everything frozen, and nuke it when needed. Big minus on the taste side.

I ordered what they listed as "Mendon Special" which was ground chicken with a basil curry sauce, chiles, peppers, onions, mushrooms over jasmine rice. Sounded great, but about the 4th bite I bit into a pretty gross piece of chicken gristle. I put it aside and took another bite and got more. That was it for me. I tried to peck at rest of the Pad Thai my wife didn't eat but that was way too dry and sticky for me.

Dinner cost $42 plus tax, minus the $25 Restaurant.com coupon. I'd say that the $22 it ended up costing us was still too much for the quality of food we received.

Website: http://www.thaistarvt.com/