“Peaceful retreat around Killington area”

Cortina Inn and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Mendon B&B and Inns
Madison, CT
“Peaceful retreat around Killington area”
Reviewed 3 November 2011

During the time of our stay, this inn just a "soft re-opening" meaning the facility was not fully operational at the time. They had been closed for a couple years and then re-opened under new ownership. However, this did not affect the quality of our stay. Our room was extremely clean and well presented. Right next door to our room was the indoor pool and hot tub. Again, very well maintained area.

The inn itself is ideal I believe for a couple on a short get-away looking for a nice low key environment. Perhaps a place to just sit in the common area on one of the cozy inviting coaches to play a game of cards or just reflect for awhile. The grounds are also inviting. A pond sits down the hill from the rooms. It appears that boats will be available to use once the Inn is fully operational again. All room rates include a full breakfast in the morning. This was excellent.

Killington area is certainly for ski enthusiasts. However, during the summer months it is a quieter time for this area. Again, ideal if you want to get away from the crowds and say for a night or two in a quiet environment. Rutland, however, is right now the street with plenty of shops. There are also plenty of fine dining options right at the Inn and across the street at the other property.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed there for a night this past weekend. It was cozy and rustic and the rooms were great! It was affordable at only $71 a night through hotels.com. We were unfamiliar with the area and Ryan at the front desk printed out directions to Rutland for us and gave us a tip on where to eat(by the way Table 24 has great food!). The only complaint is the hot tub jets do not work and they use way to many chemicals in it and the back of the hotel could use some improvements. We will definately be staying there again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica R
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 October 2011

A recent trip to The Cortina due to a family death resulted in the folks at the resort treating us with kind consideration and great service. It proved to be a comforting gathering spot for us for after funeral services. They prepared a lovely lunch for friends and relatives where we could gather and visit.
We will certainly go back to the Cortina during the winter season and enjoy the great location and fireplace in the lobby.
Thanks Manjari and staff for your hospitality.
Warmest Wishes, Kathy Handley

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Hollis, New Hampshire
Reviewed 11 October 2011

If you were a previous guest of the Cortina Inn in Mendon, VT several years ago, you will be sorely disappointed with the NEW, “supposedly” renovated Cortina Inn of today. My friend and I loved the “old Cortina Inn”. It was spotless, charming, beautifully decorated, safe, and had outstanding customer service. We were saddened when many years ago we heard it was closed due to Legionnaire’s Disease and then they closed their doors even after that. I would rather stay in the back of my car than ever set forth in the “new”Cortina Inn. You will be well-advised to steer clear of the Cortina Inn as there are many other cheaper (and much nicer) places to stay where your business will be welcome and your room will be sanitary. Here is my report, which incidentally will be going to the BBB, as well as Chamber of Commerce, and Department of Health.
1. We had reservations several weeks after “IRENE” hit. They took our reservations and said they didn’t know if the roads would be open. I asked them to be sure to let us know in advance if we were not going to be able to get to the Inn due to road closures. I never heard anything back. The day before I called to confirm and surprise surprise, the Inn was closed. We had to hustle to make alternative plans. They never gave us the courtesy of cancelling in advance for us. Oh, but they did say “we won’t charge you a cancellation fee”. How nice of them, considering I would not be able to keep my commitment because THEIR INN was closed to travelers.
2. Upon check-in, I knew I was in for a nasty time. The front entrance was covered with debris and the trash was overflowing in the entry way. The rugs were worn and ghastly looking and didn’t look like they had ever been cleaned. Torn in places here and there. The host WAS courteous and pleasant and promptly checked us in.
3. The room was like 100 degrees upon check-in. It was right above the pool. The room reaked of chlorine. It had crushed stone and dirt around the so called fireplace which was nothing more than a little stove type gadget. It took forever to cool off. The outside stairs which the host told me to go up were unsafe and rotted and filthy. We had to walk through pine sap to get to our room. Even though I was in a cast, he never mentioned that we should take the lobby interior path the room on the 2nd floor. There was no warning sign on the outside entrance of the room that you had to step down. With an injured ankle to boot, I nearly broke my neck. The deck was not private as depicted on their website. The adjacent room had a pool of standing filthy water outside their door. Think West Nile Virus.
4. The bathroom was old fashioned and had new tile in some spots that were not professionally done. However, it was clean and had plenty of towels and toiletries. The light above the sink was burnt out. And it reaked of chlorine and was 100 degrees in their. The so called tub was deep but was 2 small people at best. The water temperature of the shower was cool to mildly luke warm
5. All window sills had filth in the crevices and lots of lovely spiders.
6. If we weren’t totally exhausted and didn’t have a dog with us, we would have went home or found alternate lodging. For $274, I could have had a luxury suite in Vegas. The Cortina Inn isn’t worth $10 a night!
7. The beds were comfortable and did seem new and clean, though I had my doubts. The pillows were extremely thick and very uncomfortable for both of us. We checked for bed bugs, but didn’t see any. However, myself and my dog were scratching all night long so we are hoping we didn’t have bed bugs/fleas. The minute we got home, we all had to take a steaming hot shower and wash every article of clothing to try to minimize any travelling pests we might have picked up from Cortina. With dirt in the room, it’s a great environment to breed fleas.
8. The pool we were both looking forward to using was completely empty. Now we know why. The handrail was covered in paint or bird poop, I couldn’t tell. There was a spider web hanging off the handrail. It smelled disgusting. We were both ready to get in, no towels anywhere. Poor lighting probably to hide the filth. The whirlpool had saran wrap cover and I looked under and there was a Styrofoam something floating in it. Neither looked like they had been used. We decided we would bypass the disease ridden pool and whirlpool.
9. No dining on the premises, though they did tell us that. Very inconvenient from dining.
10. Exposed circuit plugs in room, not cool if you have pets or kids.
11. Air quality of the room was horrendous. I could barely breath all night probably from the mold or chlorine.
12. To top of this marvelous stay----At approximately 12:30 AM some loud mouths checked in slamming doors. Supposedly the Cortina Inn boasts 24 hour service. There is no way in hell that a front desk person could not hear the ruckus. I gave it some time and talked to 2 of the party animals nicely and asked them to keep it down a bit. No result. I then called the front desk about ½ hour later and he said he would talk to them. No result. I waited and fumed since we all were wide awake by then. Then I called again and the desk clerk played dumb. “Oh, where are they next to your room”? What a joke! You could hear them partying I would say right in the lobby running between rooms and slamming doors and loud and obnoxious. Finally, he said he would talk to them. After another half hour they either passed out or decided to go to bed.
13. The next day when the Manager said “Good Morning” to me, I blasted her. She is apparently the owner. And she apparently doesn’t care about retaining business. She basically said there was nothing they could do. When I suggested they could have called the authorities after the first warning or asked them to check out, she said she doesn’t call the cops on her guests unless they are committing a crime. Last time I checked public drunkenness and disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace were crimes. You can bet if my dog was barking all night, the cops would have been called if I refused to leave or quiet him.
14. The only thing that was renovated about this facility is new drapes and perhaps beds.
15. The tennis court was unkempt and the grounds were as well.
16. Their website is VERY VERY misleading. Do yourself a favor and find alternate housing.
17. This had to be the worse place I have ever stayed in my life. They are pricey and they have no grounds to be, except the greed of the owner (who is also the manager). Please heed my warning, no one at the hotel looked like they had a good time other than the drunks.
18. I did leave housekeeping a tip as it’s not her fault, management has no clue how to run an INN and keep guests coming back for more.
Oh, I forgot to mention the junk car jacked up in the parking lot-very nice ambience.

Room Tip: Pick a different Inn or pitch a tent, you will have a better time, even sleeping in your car would b...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DeeTom O

Travellers are raving about these Mendon hotels

Alton Bay, New Hampshire
Reviewed 5 September 2011

At first the inn seemed great. Smelled like a camp fire but thankfull for a roof during the tropical storm. We were stranded with route 4 cut off east and west. I volenteered to travel by foot to Rutland, a two mile hike to get supplies for the Inn. The hosts reduced the rate from $95 to $75 a night seeing how we were stranded " Gee thanks". They then wanted to charged me $10 a meal for the food I helped carry throught the forest. I did not even get a thank you for lugging thier supplies for 2 miles through woods and road. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank scott t
Andover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 September 2011

During Tropical Storm Irene they provided excellent service!! I was totally without my medication and they helped me get in touch with my insurance Co, doctor, and pharmacy. They hiked 10 miles to bring it back to me since I was stranded at their Inn. They provided good food free of charge. They were the only ones who seemed to have power, which I was so grateful for. They also gathered information for the guests to make informed decisions on when and how to get out. Very supportive!! I was alone and having a hard time dealing with being isolated. Can't thank them enough for all they did!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed 2 September 2011

During the height of the recent hurricane we found ourselves in Mendon, VT. All surrounding roads were blocked and no one was able to predict when an escape would be available.

We went to the Cortina Inn and booked a room until such time as we could drive out. The power was out when we arrived but the front desk staff worked quickly to get us checked in despite not having their computer available. We were immediately given a supply candles and matches and were told that the kitchen staff would provide a meal for us in the evening - I believe that some other stranded travelers may have gone hungry that first night. In the late afternoon the chef and his staff made warm soup and crackers available to us, gratis. The staff even lit a fire in the lobby fireplace which made us all feel a little more secure and comfortable.

We were there for three days and two nights and never felt the least bit disadvantaged in spite of the fact that we were stranded in an area that has been declared a federal disaster zone. Everyone on the staff was friendly and more importantly, they bent over backwards to be helpful. They even hiked over 20 miles round trip to Rutland to bring back food and other necessities for their guests.

The management and staff of this Inn epitomize the term "Gracious Hosts" - my wife and I are indebted to them - they made what was a serious situation feel more like a small inconvenience.

Our room was well appointed, clean, and comfortable. Under the circumstances it would be unfair to try to rate the rest of the Inn. However, if we are ever in the vicinity of Mendon, VT, we will certainly return to the Cortina Inn and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank walter s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area
The Vermont Inn
The Vermont Inn
#2 of 3 in Mendon

Been to Cortina Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!